GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) For those who have done the Guhl reflash..,I understand that Sport Mode is made ‘tamer’, but is there a noticeable difference in Tour Mode? If so, what’s the difference?

2) Anything I should know about removing the ECU? (I’ll disconnect the negative battery cable)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody see a dyno result.Stock is around 98hp at the rear wheel.
Personally,Sport isn't too bad.Makes a lively ride but I ride in Tour most of the time.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Personally,Sport isn't too bad.Makes a lively ride but I ride in Tour most of the time.
I think if people spent more time in Sport, they would get used to it as is. There's still the fans and speed limiter changes. Not sure what the fans coming on earlier REALLY solves.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
The changes to SPORT are in 1st and 2nd in the lower RPMs. It is now smoother and easier to control. Outside of that range it is the same as before. I do not notice much difference with TOUR but this could be that I am constantly changing between 2 bikes. I have not taken the bike up to the new red line. It has been too cold to see the new temperature setting. I like that it now stays in the same gear as when you shut off the bike.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The changes to SPORT are in 1st and 2nd in the lower RPMs. It is now smoother and easier to control. Outside of that range it is the same as before. I do not notice much difference with TOUR but this could be that I am constantly changing between 2 bikes. I have not taken the bike up to the new red line. It has been too cold to see the new temperature setting. I like that it now stays in the same gear as when you shut off the bike.
You mean mode when you shut off the bike.

·
Vendor
21,570 Posts
In the normal tour mode, you can't get 100% throttle. Max throttle only gives you about 80% at best.

The reflash improves both low end throttle response rates of the tour mode and allows you to have max throttle in any gear when in tour. This can be important for overtaking vehicles, because when you turn the throttle wide open, you really will get all available horsepower that the bike has.

·
Registered
378 Posts
In the normal tour mode, you can't get 100% throttle. Max throttle only gives you about 80% at best.

The reflash improves both low end throttle response rates of the tour mode and allows you to have max throttle in any gear when in tour. This can be important for overtaking vehicles, because when you turn the throttle wide open, you really will get all available horsepower that the bike has.
When I change mode from Tour to Sport , it's not just the throttle more responsive other parameters are also adjusted (suspension, TC, DCT, brakes ...) so it make more sense to me to switch mode instead of reprogramming the ECU to have the Tour mode more "sporty".

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
When I change mode from Tour to Sport , it's not just the throttle more responsive other parameters are also adjusted (suspension, TC, DCT, brakes ...) so it make more sense to me to switch mode instead of reprogramming the ECU to have the Tour mode more "sporty".
Come up to Loveland and we can ride

·
Registered
6,748 Posts

I didnt know that..so with the stock bike you can only get 100% of the bikes power in Sport mode?..Why would Honda only let you have 80% of the power in tour mode...is the power reduced even more in ECO and Rain mode?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT Tour & I have NEVER used Rain or Eco mode. Why would I want to?? I run sport mode now 100% of the time!
I always use Econ mode in bumper to bumper, city traffic stop 'n go traffic. Nothing sporty about that.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Ive used eco mode while cruising a steady 45 mph on the twisty Blue Ridge Parkway while pulling my trailer...the throttle and power delivery was very smooth and made just keeping the pace on the non stop twisty road very enjoyable...other than that I have tried rain mode in heavy rain...dont really need it though.

·
Vendor
21,570 Posts
I didnt know that..so with the stock bike you can only get 100% of the bikes power in Sport mode?..Why would Honda only let you have 80% of the power in tour mode...is the power reduced even more in ECO and Rain mode?
The throttle maps are significantly de-tuned through out the band in tour mode, I've seen all the maps and compared them. This is the way Honda engineered it. The lower gears are even more detuned.

The reflash is designed to return much of the lost power in Tour mode. This enables you to more easily overtake a vehicle without having to first change modes, you just twist and go. Personally, I like the feel much better of Tour Mode after the reflash, and no longer feel like I need to change to sport mode all the time. I'm able to just leave the bike in Tour mode a lot more of the time. Tour mode is a lot more friendly around town and in traffic and just feels like it fits the bike better. If I really want to play on a twisty road, I'll use Sport mode, but most of the time now I just leave it in Tour.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting Fred, I got the re-flash not realising that the tour mode was so limited. I thought the reflash in tour was only going to make the throttle response more responsive.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The throttle maps are significantly de-tuned through out the band in tour mode, I've seen all the maps and compared them. This is the way Honda engineered it. The lower gears are even more detuned.

The reflash is designed to return much of the lost power in Tour mode.

This enables you to more easily overtake a vehicle without having to first change modes, you just twist and go. Personally, I like the feel much better of Tour Mode after the reflash, and no longer feel like I need to change to sport mode all the time. I'm able to just leave the bike in Tour mode a lot more of the time. Tour mode is a lot more friendly around town and in traffic and just feels like it fits the bike better. If I really want to play on a twisty road, I'll use Sport mode, but most of the time now I just leave it in Tour.
This is the only reason for me to get the ECU reflashed, maybe I'll get it done over the Winter next year.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts