GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 100 of 176 Posts
After I saw your post I went out today and did 8 test runs. My Wing with the flash would not go past 110mph on all runs. I can actually feel it cutting power before I get there. The sticky mode works and tour is better. As for the extra RPM's added I'm not sure on that either. When the computer was reinstalled I did one run and thought it was working. When I looked down I thought I was doing 120 but in actuality I was doing 110 my bad.
I rolled right past 110 with my run. Was it a Guhl flash?

After I saw your post I went out today and did 8 test runs. My Wing with the flash would not go past 110mph on all runs. I can actually feel it cutting power before I get there. The sticky mode works and tour is better. As for the extra RPM's added I'm not sure on that either. When the computer was reinstalled I did one run and thought it was working. When I looked down I thought I was doing 120 but in actuality I was doing 110 my bad.
Yes I spoke with him today, his shop is 20 minutes from me and he has no ideas why. Not a huge deal as I didn't buy it to do that but it would have been nice
Yeah, I feel you on that. I don't ride like that either, however, I ride with a lot of HD guys that love to challenge GWs. When they flex, I want to be able to respond...just sayin. Will Guhl reflash it for you? I don't know what their policy is for flash that "don't take".

Lower the windshield to its lowest setting.

Yes, it cuts down on drag. We also think that there could be another limiter hidden in the code that is associated with the windshield height. If so, I suspect its intent is to prevent breaking the windshield arms or damaging the lift mechanism. Don and I are doing some more testing, but I think its probably a good thing to leave the speed limit there if the windshield is up. It's also posible that the engine simply doesn't have the power to overcome the drag of the shield in the full up position.

I had three tries with WS-down no go past 110......I'll try again when it gets here and hopefully, it will boogie on past the 110! I also added the rev 500 above the current OEM, opted to get the cooling fans to kick on earlier, Tour mode more gusto (which I had on initial order), and tamer Sport mode lower speeds (also had that done on initial order).

I had three tries with WS-down no go past 110......I'll try again when it gets here and hopefully, it will boogie on past the 110! I also added the rev 500 above the current OEM, opted to get the cooling fans to kick on earlier, Tour mode more gusto (which I had on initial order), and tamer Sport mode lower speeds (also had that done on initial order).
So, your didn't go over 110 after the reflash?

Some of the very early flashes may have had an issue like this. The code is pretty complex, and it took a while to figure it all out, the limiter is in multiple places in the code. I suspect you got one of the early flashes.

Yes, it cuts down on drag. We also think that there may be another limiter hidden in the code that is associated with the windshield height. I suspect its intent is to prevent breaking the windshield arms or damaging the lift mechanism. Don and I are doing some more testing, but I think its probably a good thing to leave the speed limit there if the windshield is up.
Interesting thought on the windshield may be having a secret code to limit no-go past the 110. I will know when I get it back and give it a go again, with the windshield in the lowest position. And, I agree if that speed limiter kicks in based on test runs by Honda engineers to determine when the Windshield support arms may break away if they are fully raised. Just hoping such a test if it was done by the Honda engineers places the speed limiter active even on the lowest windshield setting. Unknown those that are getting above the OEM speed limiter were all done with their windshields in the lowest position? Just weird that it did not take long to get to the 110 maybe 112 and it would not go anymore. Hopefully, Don can figure out what's going on.

ok, hold on just a second. I understand what you're saying, but I want to confirm that you have hard evidence to back this up, as I am having a hard time believing it. So when the motorcycle magazines (back when there were actual magazines) tested this bike, and did dyno testing of horsepower/torque, you're telling me they had to be switching to Sport mode every time to get full power? I don't remember them saying they did this, and it seems unlikely that Honda would design and produce a bike that was handicapped like that out of the factory. As hard as it is to create a powerful, compact, efficient powerplant they just left it at 80% and though, well, the customer won't care or will figure it out? With all due despect, this seems hard to believe for me.

I've always been told (thought, assumed, known?) that different throttle mappings, available now on many, many different bikes, only change the slope of the throttle opening curve, but they that specifically do NOT change the total amount of throttle (or power) available at full twist. Except of course for things like rain mode where the whole goal is reduced torque to the rear wheel.

If this is wrong, and my new bike is "crippled" in the default mode that my bike came with (and changes to with every start) then I want to speak with a manager b/c I'm not happy!
That is why the riding modes are different ... Something must be changed for that difference to be achieved ...

FYI, I've seen the internal maps for the throttle control for the various riding modes. In Tour Mode, even if you open the throttle wide open, you still don't get 100% throttle until the RPMs are above around 5000.

You would be able to clearly see the difference in both torque and hp curves between the various modes on the dyno.

Thanks, Fred for that enlightenment.

FYI, I've seen the internal maps for the throttle control for the various riding modes. In Tour Mode, even if you open the throttle wide open, you still don't get 100% throttle until the RPMs are above around 5000.

You would be able to clearly see the difference in both torque and hp curves between the various modes on the dyno.
Hi Fred you guys don't know me yet as first Goldwing but have a lot of street time and track time running Tim Nash's Flash (the guru) on my Gen 2 V max he used my bike as the Mule for one of his tune combinations ( 4 bell shaped velocity stacks he made on 3 D printer topped by K&N's and a Brock's 4-1 full system ) I have put about 35K on this particular flash and it's been nothing but beneficial in every way my Max has BST CF wheels that might help a little on trap speed but before the flash 9.9s and once a 9.89
after the flash I was pulling 9.77's @ 144 trap speed I did 4 runs same et but varying trap speeds high 130's to 145 I was 60 years old and weigh 205 6 ft 2
she runs on regular gas it has a power commander v but set at flat just for the fuel kill for quickshifter for clutchless shifts average dyno run 203 hp and it sounds like your guy are on the same wave
both know what they are doing , I bought the sport model as I run it more as a sport tourer and ride it like a performance bike but a comfortable one
I am going to get the flash here soon and will take my bike up to Tim to Dyno it and let him run my numbers should be interesting and want to hear his take on this bike
and flash then on to Bradenton motor speedway or a few runs any thoughts on ETs ? I am thinking low 12's if I up my redline 500 and shift right at torque curve

Remember the Honda Blackbird ? once the mirrors were removed picked up 10 MPH on record top speed run over 200 mph ya think that windshield has a bunch to do with things !

I want to get your Handy Helper down load sounds like you have spent your time getting it right

Attachments

Welcome here capt. If you are going to dyno your wing I hope you have the manual trans because the DCT's can't be run on a dyno because of Honda software. I doubt Guhl is going to do that much more work on the new wing soon especially with the covid situation. Last I heard he was the only one working, sent everyone else home. Would be nice if there was another genius willing to take on flashing the new wing. In the end though it is never going to be a performance bike although some more performance beyond what Guhl has gotten us would be welcome. Nobody here except me that I know of drag races so you will get little interest in that here. Plan to run my Guhl flashed DCT in both 1/8 th & 1/4 miles this summer when & if drag strips open back up.

81 - 100 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.