GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's replacement time for the speakers and mics. They have spoken their last.
So all you Ed Set owners let's hear it. The good, bad and ugly of it please.
Open face helmets, so what's best the Sonic N-Vader, Simple Sonic or Sonic Boomer?
Since these old J&Ms are done, I don't want another set of these. :(

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Boomers for an open face.

There is no bad or ugly! EdSets are top qulaity and support/warranty is the best in the business.

I have 5 sets and have had a few failures (due mostly to hard use and some manufacturing problems in the earlier models that are now corrected). Ed has always been MORE than fair on fixing or replacing stuff and the later models are VERY reliable.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'll jump in on this one.

Ed has been extremely fair with me on my sets. I broke a wire in my original set and he replaced it, no questions asked, with his newer "component" style set. I broke a wire in my second set after the warranty period had concluded and I paid for a new "dongle". I somehow broke a wire in that one (I ride daily and apparently am hard on wires) during vacation this year and he replaced that one.

Ed, if you are reading this, I am being very careful with this one!

I will say that I think the coating around the wires where they leave the helmet shell could be a little stiffer to reduce the flexing of the wires, but in one of our e-mails he indicated there may be a patent issue there on design.

All in all a great product!

Paul H.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use the Sonic Boomer with my 3/4 helmet and my wife has a full-face helmet with the Sonic-N-Vader and we LOVE THEM!!!

I haven't had any problems with either pair. If you do a search for Edsets, you'll find favorable comments 99.9% of the time. Just remember; the placement of the speakers in relation to your ear is critical to the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought and installed EdSets in both of our helmets back when there was only one style with two different lengths of wire. I put full-face in my wife's full face helmet as a standard install. In my own flip-lid, I made an adaptor/boom for the mic using a finger splint and the finger from an Isotoner glove.

We had a wire break in one dongle and Ed said it was to do with a new soldering jig he was trying; he fixed us up for free. Then my wife's EdSets started to buzz in the left ear. We sent it back to Ed, he took a look and said we'd managed to bend the metal grill so that it was touching the speaker membrane. Again, he fixed us up for free (despite it being my beloved's fault, and she's now much more careful about how she puts her glasses on).

And now it's been over two years and 40K untroubled miles. And I absolutely love the sound quality from these headsets. I listen to a wide variety of music and have run sound boards for rock, jazz, and folk in a variety of venues. You're not going to get better response from helmet speakers, and they're a steal at Ed's prices. Just DO pay proper attention to installing the speakers in the right place.

Pax,
MMe
happy customer who will be a repeat customer

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had excellent results with the Ed Sets, but remember this, some people could tear-up an anvil if given the chance.

John

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I tried a Edsets... did not like them one bit.. too flimzy...went back to
the J&M top of the line... you usually get what you pay for.....

cosmic

·
Registered
682 Posts
Another 2 cents; Love the EdSets. Totally abandoned upgrading the speakers and amp, etc, etc... after installing EdSets. Can't speak for J & M but the Honda set I bought with the bike were not even close to the sound quality of the EdSets. Plus, as previously stated, you will not find better customer service (don't ask how I know :oops: ).

Bill

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Love the Edsets.. Between the wife and I we have three sets.. Thought they'd be a problem because they seemed a little flimsy, but they've survived many seasons and a lot of hard multi0-season use without any failure or degradation. Highly recommended

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like my Edsets Sonic Boomer but there are aggrevations. I am using an HJC AC-3 and have had a lot of difficulty getting the mic boom to stick to the plastic liner. Between the dongle and the mic boom, the ear pad will not stay stuck by the little snaps - the thickness of the dongle and boom prevent the snaps from holding.

I emailed Edsets about the boom adhesion problem and they promptly sent me some primer that will make it stick better. They also offered to send me free some additional 3M lock to use on the boom and the ear pad. I have a supply of 3M lock so I didn't need anymore but they did send me the primer. Promptly, I might add. I have to rate their support as excellent!

On another note, I do not like the dongle as compared to the J&M jack at chest height. It is a PITA connecting the cable to the dongle every time and the cable is a tad short so the coiled wire is pulling on my helmet. I suppose I could stretch the coils out to eliminate the pull but I would like to find a way to remove the disconnect from my old J&M and connect it to my dongle so the cable would be easier to attach/detach.

Ed
'06 ABS

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,990 Posts
Cardinal Pilot said:
I like my Edsets Sonic Boomer but there are aggrevations. I am using an HJC AC-3 and have had a lot of difficulty getting the mic boom to stick to the plastic liner. Between the dongle and the mic boom, the ear pad will not stay stuck by the little snaps - the thickness of the dongle and boom prevent the snaps from holding.

I also having been having trouble with the HJC AC-3 helmet and the Sonic Boomers mic boom not sticking to the plastic liner. I also have problems with the check pads not staying stuck in the plastic snaps. I was thinking that the plastic snaps were of low quality, but after removing the Edsets the check pads seem to snap in. I love the sound of the Edsets. I like how every piece plugs together so you can replace parts if needed, but I wish he would come up with better attachment for the mic boom, like some sort of small clamp that would attach to the bottom of the helmet.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Re: Mounting the Boom to the Helmet.

I've switched and changed EdSets several times and don't trust the stick on stuff to take all that SO:

I have drilled to small holes in the helmet and run a very small zip tie through them and around the Mic Boom where it leaves the stick on part. This is VERY secure and yet can be removed (You just have to replace the zip tie)

I'm not familiar with the helmet you folks are having trouble with the ear parts not staying snapped on - BUT maybe you could cut or file a notch in the ear part to give clearance for the EdSet cable?

Goo Luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
bought Ed sets in '04 when I got my wing, after 2 years of changing mic positions, the wire broke. Was replaced and upgraded free of charge. I'm certain the newer, heavier gauge wire for the mic will not break now. The sound was and is always great. No need to spend more money.....Cajun

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just installed the Sonic Boomers in our new AC-3 helmets and had the same trouble with the mic boom not sticking to the liner. I used Fred H.'s idea and hot melt glued it and so far it's holding. I make sure I pack the hot melt glue gun and sticks on future trips. I mounted the "dongle" on the LEFT side of the helmet and the mic on the RIGHT side to relieve spacing issues between the cheek pads and the helmet shell. Now both cheek pads snap back into place and stay there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ed Sets

I do have the HJC AC-3 helmet and the Ed Sets Sonic Boomer mic. I used Gorilla Glue on the back of the velcro when attaching it to the helmet, and haven't had a problem since. The cheek pads eventually mold to fit around the boom and stay snapped, but you can slit the plastic backing of your cheek pad with a utility knife right over the boom if you want to speed it up a bit.
As for quality, I have had no other brands, and wouldn't change. Great quality and support for my money!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
rottendog said:
It's replacement time for the speakers and mics. They have spoken their last.
So all you Ed Set owners let's hear it. The good, bad and ugly of it please.
Open face helmets, so what's best the Sonic N-Vader, Simple Sonic or Sonic Boomer?
Since these old J&Ms are done, I don't want another set of these. :(
Here you go, You won't have the broken wires issue with these head sets.

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/ ... /?goto=%2F

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/ ... /?goto=%2F

·
Registered
652 Posts
I used a little cardboard to make a dam pocket to pour 5 minute epoxy in to make a level surface where I needed to mount the velcro for the mount. I then used Krazy Glue on the bottom of the pad since it had already fallen off once and the original adhesive wouldn't hold. I wanted to keep my J&M boom in place for our cross country run and to be able to use the isolating ear bud speakers for the first time. I was afraid we wouldn't like the ear plugs or they would make our ears sore or something. So adequate room for mounting was a problem before the epoxy idea. That worked great. One negative with the pouch mounted mike is no wind sock so you get more wind noise with it but since everything is clearer you can turn the IC down. I tried the balloon thing with little improvement. Mic mutes made the system very usable. Another thing I and my wife hate is the short dongle cord. 3 or 4 more inches would make it much easier to get used to. The newer Edsets mount, I believe, is an improvement over my old set. Watch for another post concerning my trip with the combo set and the earbuds. I now have 3 Edsets and two J&Ms.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would also be very interested in the audio quality of the Ed sets. I bought the top of the line "Hondaline" for open face (made by J&M) and the quality seems first rate. However the Audio out of them is very reminiscent of the AM radio in a 1947 Plymouth pickup. YUCK! I may use these on a backup helmet.

A while back I bought a very cheapo set of in helmet ear phones for around $20 and they have much superior Audio quality to the J&M's. They may have even been re-branded Ed Sets because they look just like the earphones in the pictures.

OR does anyone make a head set that has good Audio quality?

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Lomax........I was using J&Ms until a week ago. The Edsets do offer superior sound. I wasn't concerned about the cost, I just wanted a good quality sound. I would have bought a Bose if I could, but so far I'm impressed with the sound. The mic is alittle cumbersome in my flip face, but otherwise I'm satisfied with the unit

1 - 20 of 31 Posts