GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased and installed some Ed Sets because of the good reviews here so I must be doing something wrong. They don't seem to have much volume at all and are downright tinny sounding and lose "all" bass response when turned up high enough to actually hear them. Yes I know they are very small speakers but I'm not sure I could hear them at all when riding. The left speaker rattles some. I don't get it, is something on my audio set up wrong? No mutes are on and speaker placement was optumized inside the helmet. Until I get this figured out I'm not even gonna install them in the other helmet and may send them back.Very disappointing. Any ideas???

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hope you can get this figured out. Mine sound the same way. The only other headsets I have used were Chatterbox I& I think they might have sound not as tinny. Richard

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
It's all in the placement of the speakers.. They must be in direct allignment with your ears per the instructions.. It's amasing the difference an inch makes in the sound!! I've got three sets in various helmets and love them!
If you still have issues, contact Ed, he'll help ya out!! Excellent vendor!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Teaser, I used some 1/4 inch thick foam, cut to the ear openings in the helmet to shim the speakers closer so that they lightly touch my ears. It made a huge difference.

I will second that speaker placement is critical and once you have them right you will not be disappointed. They sound great.

If your still not happy, give Ed a call. He's a great guy to work with.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In addition to speaker placement, I found that I needed to completely change the audio settings (bass, treble, etc). I avoided listening to music for a few weeks after getting the edsets because of the tinny sound etc. when the audio was set right for listening through the speakers. Once I took the time to change the settings music now sounds very good through the edsets.

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
Any ideas???[/b]
Teaser1,
Did you try connecting everything and holding the speakers to your ears before you put them into the helmet?

Mine sounded GREAT when I did that.

I'm waiting for new Nolan helmets to arrive so I can't comment on how they will work in the helmet but if I can get them work in the helmet as well as they do when I just hold them to my ears I think they will be much better than what I'm using now (chatterbox).

Dennis

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wingwing said:
Teaser 1 said:
Any ideas???[/b]
Teaser1,
Did you try connecting everything and holding the speakers to your ears before you put them into the helmet?

Mine sounded GREAT when I did that.

I'm waiting for new Nolan helmets to arrive so I can't comment on how they will work in the helmet but if I can get them work in the helmet as well as they do when I just hold them to my ears I think they will be much better than what I'm using now (chatterbox).

Dennis
Thats kinda what I did. I had purchased two new helmets and then new Ed sets for them. I thought I lined the speakers up pretty well but I'll double check that. One of the left ones rattles some though whats up with that?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
MY Edsets work well. I think I hit the correct spot the first time.

On the flip side my hearing is not great and I suffer with tinnitus.

8)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am getting ready to install my EdSets and your suggestions shoud help me avoid the problems mentioned by some. Appreciate your ideas. :D 8)

Todd

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I hesitate to suggest this but a friend of mine swears by it for learning exactly where to place his speakers in a new helmet.

He tells me he puts white talc or soap on his ears, puts his new helmet on, pushes it from side to side so the outline will transfer. He then takes the helmet off and measures down from the uppermost mark in the helmet lining the distance from the top of his ear to where his ear opening is and that's where he mounts his speakers. I've never tried it but it sounds like it ought to work.

Good luck with your new speakers. I hope this helps. :D

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Just finished installing EdSets in a Nolan 102 N-Com.
Actually, a VERY good combination.

I wanted to get the "old" Nolan 102 but could not find my color (they are discontinued) so I went ahead and got the new 102 N-Com "ready".
Here is a pic with the N-Com side cover highlighted in red:

I had "reservations" about hanging the EdSet cord down from inside the helmet.
Then I thought, why not use that big space on the side where the N-Com stuff could/should go.
Take the cover off and you have access to the inside of the helmet.
It worked out pretty good I think.
The wires go in the side.
The EdSet "dongle" hangs on the out side and no clips

Also, I recessed the EdSet mike into the chin protector.
(opened a shallow hole about the size of dime).
I have better luck with Velcro if it does not have to "hold" things on, I use it to just keep things from moving around.
Now, the little EdSet bag does not hold the mike on, it just keeps it from moving around inside the shallow indentation.

Just got back from a test ride and the sound is MUCH better than my "old" stuff (last month).
:roll:

I took some pictures during the install and I'll post them later if any one needs or would like to see them?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Terrific info Dennis. Yes, I for one would like to see your pics, please. Thanks a bunch. :D

Todd

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ed Set?

Ed Sets? For us newbies how about a link so it can be scoped out. Chatterbox is fine, but on the long trip this coming summer I may want to have better helment sound! Hook a fellow up. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: Ed Set?

Rackin Ray said:
Ed Sets? For us newbies how about a link so it can be scoped out. Chatterbox is fine, but on the long trip this coming summer I may want to have better helment sound! Hook a fellow up. :D
http://edsets.com/

It's a great set-up for hi-quality sound and intercom. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
wvnnva said:
would like to see your pics, please... Todd
Todd,
I'm no "Fred" but here are some pictures:
EdSet Install into Nolan 102 N-Com

PLEASE ... anyone / everyone
... if you ruin your helmet or EdSet, don't blame me.

I like to tinker ... this is how I did mine.
There are probably much better ways of doing this!

The "correct" way per Ed's website is to attach the dongle to the inside of the helmet and let it come out close to your neck.
I did not want to do that.
That probably works better for most people.

The Nolan 102 N-Com feels great to me and the EdSet sounds great.
The EdSet sounds MUCH better than the Chatterbox I've been using and better than the J&M I tried out at the bike shop.

If problems arise with this setup
... I'll be the first to eat my words and report back here.

I've just gotten so much help from this board I'm trying to give a little back.

Life is good! ... enjoy.

Dennis

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New Install Update: I tweaked the speaker placement some more and now they sound better. However one of them still pops and crackles some I'm gonna try to exchange it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
New Install Update: I tweaked the speaker placement some more and now they sound better. However one of them still pops and crackles some I'm gonna try to exchange it.
Mine is not popping ... seems like you got a bad one.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
Do it through the website, he'll respond quickly with a credit code to order the replacement!! Great guy to do business with!!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Re: Ed Set?

Rackin Ray said:
It's not just about the sound, it's also about the mics.. I bought Edset mic elements for my sons two chatterbox equiped helmets, made a world of difference in the clarity of the intercom and noise suppression.. Give a set a try, you'll never go back!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
wingwing said:
Todd,
I'm no "Fred" but here are some pictures:
EdSet Install into Nolan 102 N-Com

I've just gotten so much help from this board I'm trying to give a little back.

Life is good! ... enjoy.

Dennis
Dennis, that is some SUPER work. Thank you for taking the time to photo and explain what you did. Why, even a West Virginian in Virginia (wvnnva) could do it now. :lol: Please accept my sincere appreciation for all you have done to help. :D :D :D

Todd

1 - 20 of 30 Posts