GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yep, it was all spelled out in the "update" program.
Doesn't seem all that logical.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Any idea why there’s a limit on how many posts you can edit? Seems to be limited to 10 posts in a 7 day time frame. 🙁
I don't think I have that problem. However, in my case I have to pay to freely help others :( It must be one of my benefits of "paying big money".

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep, it was all spelled out in the "update" program.
Doesn't seem all that logical.
Makes it harder to help people...at my age, on occasion I remember things to add the next day and I don’t have time to count how many things I’ve edited in the last week. I‘ve averaged 4 posts a day for the last 15.5 years and this hinders good information from being transmitted to those who might need it.:confused:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I ran afoul of that yesterday, even though I didn't think I'd edited that many posts. I only edit one once in a while, so I chalked it up to bad memory, or another bug in the forum software.

·
Administrator
4,170 Posts
Just taking a stab in the dark here, as anyone who knows me knows computer stuff is not my strong suit, but I wonder with all the various sites VS owns, if this is not a result of the 'shot-gun', one size fits all approach. We can try sending this up the ladder, but recently, seems like all we've been hearing has been crickets.......

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I think people like Techdude2000 should get some exceptions to rules like this. If not moderator permissions, "valuable" contributer permissions. I'd say Techdude2000 is likely the most valuable contributor who is not a vendor. That deserves some special considerations. :)

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I make typos, or this blasted 'puter fails to accurately follow my flawless digitation. On occasion the system will not let me edit due to the rule.

prs

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Here's what I know. I'd like to blame all my excessive edits on habits and poor choices I made in my earlier years. Maybe being in class and being more attentive might have helped. However, a decade+ later turned into my first year and a half of Community College, just to catch up on my missed education. On the English side, I was finally able to register for Freshman English 101. Once there, and when expressing to my teacher my concerns about all my writing edits, she said ... "Greg, some of the finest writers in the world spend all day rewriting their stuff. What make you think you should be different." I was shocked and had no answer but was very relieved to know that most others do the same. Somehow I thought good writing just flowed out without edits. Back then to write, I carried MS Word on a 5.5 floppy. If it was paper and pencil I would have been worried about the trees.

Anyway, so long as my option to edit is still there, my edits are on going and continuous. For others who apparently don't have the edit option I have, I hope your edit choices get changed. However, as a vender and one who has to pay to provide free information, I can assure you that when it is all said and done, the owners only see members as a possible dollar asset and could careless otherwise ... at least that has always been my impression.

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
I’ve only experienced the no edit thing once and I do wind up editing almost every post I make. Many times the crazy autocorrect feature completely changes what I Thought I typed And I see that same thing must happen to very many other folks.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Many times the crazy autocorrect feature completely changes what I Thought I typed And I see that same thing must happen to very many other folks.
Isn't that an annoying feature !!!

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
Isn't that an annoying feature !!!
yes annoying but then again sometimes I’m not sure how to actually spell something so at times auto Spellcheck becomes very handy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just taking a stab in the dark here, as anyone who knows me knows computer stuff is not my strong suit, but I wonder with all the various sites VS owns, if this is not a result of the 'shot-gun', one size fits all approach. We can try sending this up the ladder, but recently, seems like all we've been hearing has been crickets.......
That is exactly what I had said in the very beginning of the change to the new for format. For a while you get a live-in administrator and then after things are settled in they're gone and virtually never heard from again unless there is some critical update or major malfunction.
Seen it on several other (non motorcycle) forums run by VS.
If they don't listen/respond to the moderators then certainly not much concern about musings from the members.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I haven't logged into this site in probably 5yrs until today. By what I see everything about it now is more about moderator control and rules than it is about Goldwings.
Moderators were starting to flap their control wings years ago, but from what I see in just the first five threads in the "general" forum they now rule with a heavy hand and iron fist. Nothing friendly about it. Very disappointing. I enjoyed this site and thought I'd look in, but my first impression after many years isn't good. I'll log out for another 5yrs and visit the other 10,000 friendly forums. The mods can have their "rule" and I certainly won't be visiting any of their advertisers either. Bye.

·
motorcycle cowboy
843 Posts
Do admins or moderators have unlimited edit privileges? If yes, perhaps Rob could be appointed to such a position.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Can't you make a new post by cut & paste what was said, then add whatever changes you want?
Yes, but then the erroneous information remains uncorrected. Most people don't read entire threads.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I haven't logged into this site in probably 5yrs until today. By what I see everything about it now is more about moderator control and rules than it is about Goldwings.
Moderators were starting to flap their control wings years ago, but from what I see in just the first five threads in the "general" forum they now rule with a heavy hand and iron fist. Nothing friendly about it. Very disappointing. I enjoyed this site and thought I'd look in, but my first impression after many years isn't good. I'll log out for another 5yrs and visit the other 10,000 friendly forums. The mods can have their "rule" and I certainly won't be visiting any of their advertisers either. Bye.
I think you got the wrong impression somehow. Nothing but good treatment/comments with the Moderators in my personal experience.
I have been very critical of the path the owner's have taken with the forum makeover and cramming advertising into it, but that's not anything to do with the Moderators who daily keep things (and members) in order.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Any idea why there’s a limit on how many posts you can edit? Seems to be limited to 10 posts in a 7 day time frame. 🙁
As already mentioned above, if anybody needs a special pass on this it's techdude2000 and Fred H. They have helped so many of us soooo many times you can't count them. Just grant these guys the ability to edit and don't tell the rest of us.

·
Administrator
4,170 Posts
Wow! I didn't know 'we' had any advertisers. Maybe the owners..........

1 - 20 of 40 Posts