GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I haven't logged into this site in probably 5yrs until today. By what I see everything about it now is more about moderator control and rules than it is about Goldwings.
Moderators were starting to flap their control wings years ago, but from what I see in just the first five threads in the "general" forum they now rule with a heavy hand and iron fist. Nothing friendly about it. Very disappointing. I enjoyed this site and thought I'd look in, but my first impression after many years isn't good. I'll log out for another 5yrs and visit the other 10,000 friendly forums. The mods can have their "rule" and I certainly won't be visiting any of their advertisers either. Bye.
Guess what else happened in the last 5 years? You don't need to announce your exit, and we all know you'll be back anyway to read these comments and respond to them...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I haven't logged into this site in probably 5yrs until today. By what I see everything about it now is more about moderator control and rules than it is about Goldwings.
Moderators were starting to flap their control wings years ago, but from what I see in just the first five threads in the "general" forum they now rule with a heavy hand and iron fist. Nothing friendly about it. Very disappointing. I enjoyed this site and thought I'd look in, but my first impression after many years isn't good. I'll log out for another 5yrs and visit the other 10,000 friendly forums. The mods can have their "rule" and I certainly won't be visiting any of their advertisers either. Bye.
DGrant I'm going to disagree with you on the moderator part. While I was not wild about the change and the new advertising banners, the moderators have always treated me fairly. And I did get a post taken down that deserved to be taken down. And it was taken down by a moderator I consider a good friend. He was right and I was wrong. I will say that on this board there seems to be more than it's share of folks that post mean and disrespectful things from the safety of their computer. Those folks and remember I had a post deleted, need controlled. Some on this board take a question asked by a member for help with a problem and someone or more will spin it in the wrong direction, mock the person who ask the question in good faith or change the intent of the question. Folks that get out of line need correcting to keep this board to the intended purpose of helping people socialize and answer questions about their Goldwing when they have question or problems.

DGrant I think the moderators show a lot of restraint and sometimes maybe too much restraint. I think they do a good job.

DGrant sure you can't make it 10 years before you come back?

·
Registered
19,955 Posts
Makes it harder to help people...at my age, on occasion I remember things to add the next day and I don’t have time to count how many things I’ve edited in the last week. I‘ve averaged 4 posts a day for the last 15.5 years and this hinders good information from being transmitted to those who might need it.:confused:
Unfortunately your/our goals and those of the owners of this board are not the same. They don't care about you helping people. They care about generating income.

This board has changed dramatically in the past 10 years, and it hasn't been for the good. I agree with DGrant. The heavy handedness of the moderators has driven away scores of people, in addition to all those who have been banned. The limitations that have been placed on making and editing of posts and many other functions is just an extension of that. I used to be here 2-3 times a day. Now I only visit once or twice a week when I am bored and rarely ever post anymore. No worries about me hitting an edit limit. LOL. Just look at the first page of the General board. Half the page lists threads that have had no replies in the past 2-4 days. It used to be that almost all those threads would have had responses in the past few hours. Member interaction is undeniably down dramatically. I don't know how that is supposed to increase income, but that's their problem. It's a shame.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Unfortunately your/our goals and those of the owners of this board are not the same. They don't care about you helping people. They care about generating income.

This board has changed dramatically in the past 10 years, and it hasn't been for the good. I agree with DGrant. The heavy handedness of the moderators has driven away scores of people, in addition to all those who have been banned. The limitations that have been placed on making and editing of posts and many other functions is just an extension of that. I used to be here 2-3 times a day. Now I only visit once or twice a week when I am bored and rarely ever post anymore. No worries about me hitting an edit limit. LOL. Just look at the first page of the General board. Half the page lists threads that have had no replies in the past 2-4 days. It used to be that almost all those threads would have had responses in the past few hours. Member interaction is undeniably down dramatically. I don't know how that is supposed to increase income, but that's their problem. It's a shame.
I very much agree with some/most of your observations and obviously you have been around the forum years before me. Site owners care about only generating income, true. Every forum site I visit that they own/control has seen big drop in activity the more they "upgrade" and push the advertising. Unfortunately, this site is the newest version that I frequent and the most ad intensive. No going back/changing that....
I don't see much heavyhandedness from Moderators. I have had nothing but good responses from the Mods even when I disagreed.
I think the participants on the forum have different attitudes than years ago. More ego, more argumentive, etc which (according to forum rules) needs more moderating. Also, so many of the topics have been hashed over in the past that many don't see a point to a response since a search would have provided an answer, or at least showed a prior effort. There are several areas of the forum I don't explore since they have no bearing on my 2001 Wing, so perhaps I'm not aware of all what other forum sections may experience.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
... The heavy handedness of the moderators has driven away scores of people, in addition to all those who have been banned. The limitations that have been placed on making and editing of posts and many other functions is just an extension of that. ...
Not picking on LarryM, but wanting to offer my thoughts on the hierarchy of the site.

I don't think that the undesired changes are necessarily because of the moderators. They are merely the first line between us mere mortals (oops, I mean regular users) and the folks that actually control what's going on.

Above the moderators is the admin level. These are the folks that control the actual "mechanics" of keeping the forum up and running. Even the admin folks don't have full control - they are tasked with running the show to the owner's satisfaction.

Above the admins are the owners. They are the ones that dictate how things are run, the types of ads we see, the allowable content, etc. And, they get to exercise this authority because they are the ones paying the bills.

Our moderators are unpaid, and (IMO) do a good job of keeping the day-to-day aspects running and keeping things civil. I'm pretty sure there are things that they would do differently if the authority was theirs.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

Sadly, if there’s no help on this board, there will be no board. People don’t come here just to look at ads or just to say hi! They usually are looking for help, advise, or a how-to for their bike/trike. I understand that it’s a business and the owners, like so many others in the world, will never have enough money, but they need to keep the users of this board a little happy or they will go away and so will the board. That won’t help anyone or the owner’s wallets. I will be here until I feel that I can’t contribute or help someone, the edit limit won’t chase me off, but it does create a little aggravation that I don’t think is necessary.

·
Registered
19,955 Posts
Not picking on LarryM, but wanting to offer my thoughts on the hierarchy of the site.

I don't think that the undesired changes are necessarily because of the moderators. They are merely the first line between us mere mortals (oops, I mean regular users) and the folks that actually control what's going on.

Above the moderators is the admin level. These are the folks that control the actual "mechanics" of keeping the forum up and running. Even the admin folks don't have full control - they are tasked with running the show to the owner's satisfaction.

Above the admins are the owners. They are the ones that dictate how things are run, the types of ads we see, the allowable content, etc. And, they get to exercise this authority because they are the ones paying the bills.

Our moderators are unpaid, and (IMO) do a good job of keeping the day-to-day aspects running and keeping things civil. I'm pretty sure there are things that they would do differently if the authority was theirs.
Let me first say that I have nothing against the moderators personally. I realize they don't set policy and rules. They merely execute it, or at least execute their interpretation of it. I would think that by now they would know not to take this personally. For the record, I have never publicly said anything nasty about a moderator.

But in the end it doesn't matter. We don't have access to the people who are setting these policies, so just like in all businesses, it is the folks on the front like that take the brunt of the complaints. They are the bad guy. Nobody said it was fair. It's just the way the world works.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't understand why there's a need for edit limits either.
In the years that I've been a member the only threads that I've seen were shut down or people put into time out was because the bashing was getting out of hand or the thread had gone way off track.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've seen on other forums where guys deleted a lot of their content, usually just before getting booted and having to go play in that one forum that seems to collect all the jackasses. Every community has "that forum".

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think people like Techdude2000 should get some exceptions to rules like this. If not moderator permissions, "valuable" contributer permissions. I'd say Techdude2000 is likely the most valuable contributor who is not a vendor. That deserves some special considerations. :)
Sure agree with that William. I the owner of this forum not paying attention to the Mods?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've seen on other forums where guys deleted a lot of their content, usually just before getting booted and having to go play in that one forum that seems to collect all the jackasses. Every community has "that forum".
I witnessed this on this forum a few years ago...
(before the current regime took ownership)

·
Registered
618 Posts

Let me first say that I have nothing against the moderators personally. I realize they don't set policy and rules. They merely execute it, or at least execute their interpretation of it. I would think that by now they would know not to take this personally. For the record, I have never publicly said anything nasty about a moderator.

But in the end it doesn't matter. We don't have access to the people who are setting these policies, so just like in all businesses, it is the folks on the front like that take the brunt of the complaints. They are the bad guy. Nobody said it was fair. It's just the way the world works.
Good one Larry, with almost 20K comments, you've been on this forum a very long time and have seen it all, I certainly agree with you.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I tried to delete my posts but could not find a way to do it. So i sent it in as a report
I could be wrong (often am) but I believe you have to ask one of the higher ups to delete it. I've asked the question a couple of times but never got an answer. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
We should have a clearinghouse for edit limits! You know, like the guy who invented the internet proposed for Carbon Credits. If I don't use my quota; I can sell, trade or give them away to someone I like.

By the way I haven't met all the mods on this board, but I can say every one I have met has done the damdess to do the right thing. Good people everyone. Well, except that one ...you know who you are! 😁

I WOULD vote to give both Techdude and Fred H. unlimited edit capability. I think the mods know the value these guys add to this board and I'm sure VS would agree, if they didn't have a trillion websites to manage.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I don't think I have that problem. However, in my case I have to pay to freely help others :( It must be one of my benefits of "paying big money".
And we ALL "thank you" for ALL your help!.......Believe me!! [very much appreachiated]
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Honestly, in this day and age, there's no excuse for there to not be a user-specific backup function that allows a moderator to restore any user's posts to a certain date and time. That would obviate the need for such foolishness as edit limits.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Agree that some on this forum like techdude, fred harmon, greg (just wings), murf, a few other knowledgeable GW tech folks, and I would add the vendors, should have unlimited edit capability. What good is the forum if it doesn't have capability to fulfill the mission of helping GW riders? Does this make sense? Of course!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts