GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have a Schematic or a Pic of the wiring diagram of the Mic Splitter?
I bought a used one & the wires came out of the plug, it looks like the PO tried messing w/ it then sold it to me @ a low price & the thing fell apart.
I contacted Ed from Edsets & he claims that he does not have a schematic nor w/ he repair the filter, Ed suggested I just spend $95 on a new one, So he's no help!!! It's a simple repair if I only knew what connectors the 6 wires go to..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pat.........If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll pull my left pocket out and take a few pics of the mic splitter. I have the entire BlueStreak system from Ed, works great. I'll get back to you.......

Willie Wonka

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't have one for Edsets but I have made several for myself and others... Here is a typical schematic for what I make... The mic audio leads will attach to the mic lead from the headset in the left front fairing pocket... If memory serves me correctly, those leads are black and white on the 6 position audio plug...

BikeAudioSchematic.JPG

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pat.........If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll pull my left pocket out and take a few pics of the mic splitter. I have the entire BlueStreak system from Ed, works great. I'll get back to you.......

Willie Wonka
OK Willie thank you, I know there are 6 wires that install into the white audio plugs, 5 are Blue & 1 is Black , in what slots do they go in?? Beats me?? there Duetch Connectors, not so hard to make the fix, if I only knew the sequence?? that's the part that I'm missing

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Ed's web page has the assembly diagram for the six pin connector.

Not near a computer to research further.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Since the microphone splitter is basically a pass through, each of the blue wires should match on each of the 2 connectors. There should be 2 black wires. Im guessing that you have to determine which is + and which is -. Those black wires will go to the Male side if the harness into the mic shield + and mic shield-. If you look on the bike side wiring connector, you will see one side is flat and one side has bump outs. The connector only fits one way. The mic shield pins are on left flat side top and bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the microphone splitter is basically a pass through, each of the blue wires should match on each of the 2 connectors. There should be 2 black wires. Im guessing that you have to determine which is + and which is -. Those black wires will go to the Male side if the harness into the mic shield + and mic shield-. If you look on the bike side wiring connector, you will see one side is flat and one side has bump outs. The connector only fits one way. The mic shield pins are on left flat side top and bottom.
Now that's what I'm talking about!! A simple drawing that shows the wiring, I got it now!! I'll make the repair, thanks guy's for all your help, I knew you guy's would come thru, you always do!!!:smile2::grin2:

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
9,328 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
this may help

headsetwires2.jpg

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok...........Think I got it......As you can see, the splitter is just a T-type add-on that is added to the audio headset cord. All my wires are orange, and are a straight across extension, allowing a tap off of the mic feed with a filter of some sort in the added-on wiring. the output terminates in a eighth-inch male stereo plug which, in my case, plugs into an Ampli-Rider unit in my BlueStreak system. The pics show exactly where each wire goes in the connectors. Hope they help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You Willie, between your pics & the schematic I'll have no problem fixing the spliter, you guy's are the best!!!!:grin2::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
A knowledge point, while we have this wealth of info in one post...

Here is a typical schematic for what I make...
Ed uses a different transformer ratio, but the schematic is the same.

<...>All my wires are orange, and are a straight across extension, allowing a tap off of the mic feed with a filter of some sort in the added-on wiring.<...>
The 'filter' that Willie mentions is the actual transformer that dadztoy has described above.

Now...one less-than-good part about this assembly (in general) is this is an unshielded area of the microphone circuit on the bike. This is one place (of many...) that can be susceptible to noise coupling from the motorcycle.

Using a twisted/shielded pair of wires for both the stereo headset pass thru circuit as well as a second twisted/shielded pair for the microphone circuit could greatly reduce the opportunity to couple noise onto the microphone circuit.

Another fun fact - a second mic splitter could be put in the passenger circuit, along with a passive audio mixer that would give your back seat the ability to chat on the phone as well.

Don't tell her I said that last part... :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts