GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order some 3G Edsets for my Shoei Neotech and I want to be sure that I want the "Modular" model. I know that my helmet is modular, but I don't understand the installation process and how the microphone is mounted under the cheek pad.
Also, do the new Thunderclap speakers fit well in the Neotech?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
You can contact the proprietor of Edsets and he give you directions and helpful information! You also can send your helmet to him for install, perhaps!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep give Ed himself a call, if you get the voice mail,, he will call you back as soon as he can. Very easy to deal with and more than willing to advise you on what you need.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have that exact set up. However I do not have a clue what thunderclap speakers are.....

My headsets are standard 3G and the speakers fit perfectly in the helmets pre-formed places for them, the exact reason I went with Ed Sets so I would not have to cut up a new helmet.

I got the adjustable boom mike.....in other words it is not an locked into the main part of the assembly and hooks up by wire just like the speakers. So you can play around with it and put it where ever suits you. Mine yes is glued by the little glue pad up somewhat high and back into the helmet and the wire and boom do pass through the cheek piece hole and the mike sits just at the corner of my mouth out of the way. That way you do not have to mess with it all the time.

Sound quality........hey, there is no comparison, I should have done this a long time ago.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am going to order some 3G Edsets for my Shoei Neotech and I want to be sure that I want the "Modular" model. I know that my helmet is modular, but I don't understand the installation process and how the microphone is mounted under the cheek pad.
Also, do the new Thunderclap speakers fit well in the Neotech?
Thanks in advance for your help.
-

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're in luck!

Ed just installed this exact setup in two new Neotecs for my Wife and I.

He was nice enough to document the install with photographs and annotations. The XL helmet shown is my hat.

Dealing with Ed was a pleasure and the installation price was money well spent.

You've obviously done your research and ended up in the right place with Edsets.

Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/edsetsdude

ETA: My install included thunderclap speakers. A small amount of trimming of the black plastic was needed for them to fit (no styrene was removed). The thunderclap are an upgrade speaker with better response and sound quality but I don't think you can go wrong with the standard speakers. I use my Edsets with S plugs anyway so the speakers are backup (if my S plugs fail I would use the speakers over earplugs) or for use on in town short trips.
Thanks a lot for the link to to install photos. They will certainly help, although I think I'm getting in over my head.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks a lot for the link to to install photos. They will certainly help, although I think I'm getting in over my head.
You can do it, very simple actually. I did not route the wires so fancy as I think doing so stresses the little wire, I just put in the speakers, installed the main module and positioned the mic. Then stuffed all the wires which are plenty long up into the top of the helmet and put the helmet liner back in. All of the wires are up in the top of the helmet as there is plenty of length to reach the other side.

Did not understand the photo sequence, as the modular flip moves up and down, so I have my mic set way back and out the cheek piece hole so it is not in the way like in the final photos of the photo sequence, I have mine set way back out of the way. Just far enough forward so your voice will carry over the mic, just at the corner of the mouth.

Instructions to install the module come with them and it is very simple.

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did It

I installed my 3G Edsets in my new Neotec today.
I have to say my anxiety level was very high when I cut out the speaker area with a knife.:22yikes: I tried following the pictures in the following link: http://picasaweb.google.com/edsetsdude
I used aluminum tape to keep the wires in place and I didn't install the mic since I may never use it anyway.
I pluged the helmet in the bike when I finished and I sounded real good. I wish I could've gone for a ride, but it's 15°F with ice on the roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts