GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2G Edsets for 4 years and have been very pleased as have my friends that have gotten edsets from my recommendation. The warranty and customer service is great from Ed.

I just purchased the 3G sets and had Edsets install them into my new helmet. Has anyone noticed any less bass from the 3G vrs the 2G when you first installed the headsets. Im trying to figure out what is wrong because I have to turn my bass all the way up and I am still getting a tinny, no bass sound from them. I am not new to headsets and have used both J & M and Edsets for the past 6 or 7 years and have been thoroughly happy with the bass from both of them.

I have no fear that Ed will resolve this issue or return my money, but I was in hope with the vast knowledge on this forum, someone may have had this issue and corrected it. I will try re-locating the speakers tonight, although they feel like they are directly infront of my ears now. My wife is experiencing the same lack of bass in her new 3G headset as well

Ed seems to think it is a location of the speakers problem because I told him that my voice over the intercom in MY speakers seems to have plenty of bass. I am just perplexed right now and am grasping at a solution without having to send my new helmets back to Edsets for them to test.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im thinking of ordering some Edsets and was wondering if you got this sorted out?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Im thinking of ordering some Edsets and was wondering if you got this sorted out?

I don't have Ed's "sets" yet, but after meeting him in person, and from all of the good customer service that others on this board have talked about, I'm sure, if it's an EdSets problem, Ed will take care of it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I stated in the opening post, I have loved my Edsets for several years. I have not resolved my problem, partly because I have been working or riding too much to take a good look at this. My wife and I rode last night and both are assured that we have NO Bass in these 3G speakers as they are. Maybe Saturday night I can try plugging in one of my 2G speakers into the system and see if I have bass from them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hear EdSets has moved to GA. It might be worth the ride from AL to see him and get it sorted personally.

I did that very thing when he was in Dayton, OH. I am glad I did. He is a good guy and will make sure things are right.

Andy

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Edsets speakers are very sensitive to placement, either too far away from your ears, or mispositioned in relation to your ears. I still find them to be a bit bass shy, but IMO, they are much better than the first generation Edsets I had.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess Im going to have to ride over there one day when he is available. I have moved the speakers around, brought them out to rest right on my ears and I still am getting treble rich music almost like it is in a tin can. My first generation speakers are GREAT in my old caberg modular helmet. I know it has to have something to do with the mounting or my helmet but I cant figure it out. I would swap speakers but I cant figure out how the wiring is routed in these new helmets...I take the foam insert out and it looks like the wire to the speaker goes through a hole in the helmet???

Im not happy with the sound and have to make myself wear the new helmets with the Gen 2 system the music is that tinny sounding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may just have a bad speaker. If one speaker is bad, you will find a huge loss of volume and bass.

I think you and I are exchanging emails, and you planned to come by the office this week, so we'll see what's up at that point.

I'm always happy to replace any defective or failed parts as soon as we know about it.

Ed

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I started this post in Sept of last year. I have procrastinated in handling this issue...UNTIL TODAY! Each time I ride i have just put up with a less than stellar performance from my EDSETS. I had just about talked myself into believing that possibly the problem with the lack of bass and fuzzy background music may be the composition of the new helmets that I bought, not the EDSETS. As I stated in the OP, I still have my first EDSETS which were marvelous sounding, so much better than my new ones that I had paid to have installed in my new helmets.

I had a friend that wanted to go meet ED in Warner Robbins Ga at his office to discuss a speaker/mic to go in his pet Goldwing travel house for their new little Maggie (DONT ASK ME! I figure he will have the puppy actually requesting a stop for restroom or food in a month or so!). It was the perfect time for me and my wife to take our helmets to see if Ed can figure out what is wrong with the sound. WELL HE DID! As we took the helmet apart, we found the speakers had velcro installed on the entire back of each speaker, now this didnt mean anything to me, but it did to my buddy as well as ED. Apparently, you cant get a perfect sound if the speaker back is covered tightly with glue and velcro. Ed gave me two sets of new speakers and we installed my set and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The great EDSETS sound was magically back to my helmets. My wife was so happy to be able to hear the bass and good clear sound from our headsets. Ed is a super nice guy, that has his own little shop in his store (not sure the OTHER folks have something like that) and on top of that he rides a nice blue GL1800. Ed was very helpful to my buddy as well and gave him a lot of the components and schematics as well as his ideas of how the petcomm should be wired and installed.

So if YOU happen to have velcro on the entire back of your speakers, you are not getting the best sound that you can get...check it out, well worth the trouble. We found that you do not even have to install the new speakers, just yank the velcro off and place them in the furnished pouches and and velcro the pouch in front of your ears. If you need some helmet speakers, you cannot go wrong with EDSETS. They have the best sound available (I also have the other brand in some earlier helmets).

·
Registered
967 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts