GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there try the "edsets"? i am looking for some headsets and i've looked at the j&m headsets. i was just wondering if anyone's tried the edsets and how good are they.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have two sets, both in full-face helmets (one a flip). They are excellent. No affiliation, of course. I would buy them again.

Glenn

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
I haven't used the Ed Sets myself, but I have read numerous reports on them and everyone has been 100 % satisfied. Also have heard that he is very service/customer oriented. Don't think that you will be sorry.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
I just completed doing the proto-type testing and installation for the open face helmet EdSets. I have photos on line of the installation here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/edsets

The speakers that Ed uses in his headsets are better than any other brand I have listened to. They deliver good bass and can take plenty of volume without distorting. The microphone is a noise cancelling mic with very good response. I can run my intercom volume at 6 or 7 max, and have plenty of volume. This is especially important in light of the wind noise and internal intercom noise of the GL1800 intercom amplifier circuits. The lower you can run the intercom level the better. All the problems I have had with "microphonics" just about goes away with these headsets, since you can now run the intercom at a lower setting.

The way Ed has packaged the speakers in little pockets is quite ingenious and works very well. It also simplifies installation greatly. I have been very happy with the performance of his head sets and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone.

FYI, Ed is an Electrical Engineer and I can attest that he knows his stuff about audio electronics. He is also working on some other products, including wind noise filters, to improve the GL1800 intercom and make it work better. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd like to ask Ed:

What is the frequency range and distortion levels on his headphone speakers?

The pictures did not show a cable to connect the passengers(?) helmet to the bike. Does one come in the kit? Or is there not a need for a cable for both helmets?

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ed Sets

Another DEFINITELY YEP! for Ed Sets. Great product, great support. Nice to find there are products and folks like this in the industry!

Chad - Yellow 02
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Howdy from Ed

Folks,

My ears were burning, so I thot I'd drop in and say "Howdy", and say thanks for the kind words about EdSets. I doubt I've ever had as much fun as on the GL1800, except maybe making EdSets to use with them! There's nothing as gratifying as knowing folks like what you're doing. It doesn't happen all that often! So, again, thanks for trying our stuff, and let us know what we can do to do it better.

I'm busting my you-know-what getting ready to start shipping the new open face models, so hang in there, and maybe we can take orders as soon as this weekend. For lack of creativity, we're gonna call the new open face model the 'Sonic Boomer'.

·
Registered
55 Posts
PS on a question

DUH, I came to answer a question, and forgot all about it before I checked out.

The speakers we use are good from 50 - 15Khz at -3dB loss, and a tad more loss outside that range. Translation: fairly flat response across the entire range of human hearing. Almost none of us hear past about 15Khz, and very little music lives there. On my web site, I've got a picture of the frequency plot of wind-noise and voice combined, and it all falls off at around 5Khz, for example. Music normally goes up to around 10K, maybe 12KHz. MP3 compression typically throws away everything above 16KHz since we can't hear it anyway, and that's how they get compression in teh MP3 files vs the CD-quality WAV files that are 50-60Mb per song vs 2-3Mb per MP3 file.

Distortion depends on how loud you play the speakers. We don't have THD (total harmonic distortion) figures on the speakers, but they are equivalent to high end stereo headphone speakers, and in fact better than most that are on the market. Take apart an old set of Bose or Panasonics and then look at your EdSets speaker. You'll see the difference.

Cheers, and I hope that answers your question even tho I don't have THD measurements yet.

Ed
http://bluzplayer.biz/Edsets

·
Registered
109 Posts
EdSets installed in my HJC flip-up

I installed EdSets about a month ago. I like them a lot but cannot compare them to anything because this is the first time I've used any headset.

I can tell you I've had to turn the bass up all the way but left treble centered.

They are better than using earbuds but don't sound as good.

I am planning purchasing another set for my wife, when she starts to ride again, this spring.

Woody
'03 Black
Bellevue, WA

·
Registered
55 Posts
Speakers

Woody,

Might want to make sure those speakers are mounted so they are not only barely touching the ears, but also dead-centered on your ear. Only about 1/4" off center and similar distance from the ear will take most of the bass out of what you hear. If they're lightly touching your outer ear and dead center, you'll get good bass. I like to run the bass high too, but I keep the trebel almost all the way down. Just personal preference, but at high speeds, any speaker that's loud enough to overcome highway noise is gonna tire out your ears. Earbuds are good for extended riding like that!

Ed

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
The most critical item in any motorcycle headset is the quality of the microphone and speaker elements. This is where the EdSets shine. The speakers used are small and flat enough that they can be mounted in just about any helmet, yet deliver more bass and midrange punch than any other helmet speakers I have seen. Good bass and midrange response is the key to good music at 75mph. Some speakers produce great high frequency response, but poor bass and midrange. This is really bad news on motorcycles, as the increased highs make the speakers sound tinny and result in rider fatigue on long rides. A more mellow sounding speaker like used in the EdSets results in a more natural sound that is not as harsh. The speakers are also packages nicely in a pouch that can easily be removed for cleaning. Additionally, the noise canceling microphone elements used on EdSets seem to be more responsive than most. This means you can reduce your intercom volume to 6 or 7, and still communicate. This is good news because lower intercom volume means less wind and road noise in the system.

EdSets also include the rider and passenger cords needed to connect to the bike at no extra cost. Many headset manufacturers charge as much as $80 extra just for the cords.

All in all, EdSets are a superior product to many more expensive headsets, at a significantly cheaper price. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck, these are the ones to get.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fred,

I have a question for you about the testing you did on the EdSets. Are the noise cancelling microphones good enough that Mic-Mutes are not necessary to use on the system :?:

The EdSets sound like something I want to try. I just picked up a pair of HJC AC-3 helmets just like you used for your test, so your installation instructions will really come in handy.

Thank You Fred for all of the information you provide for us. You are indeed an asset to all of your fellow "Wingers" :D

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
To answer your question, the noise canceling mics on EdSets reduce, but do not by any means eliminate the wind noise. Mic-Mutes are still a good idea with any headset on the GL1800.

The fault is really not as much with the headsets as it is with the intercom amplifier in the audio unit in the GL1800. There is an apparent lack of any kind of wind noise filtration built into the amp circuits. It amazes me that Matshushita made ZERO attempt to reduce the wind noise.

I also have an Autocom system on the bike, and I frequently switch back and forth between the Autocom and the GL1800 intercom. The difference in wind noise is HUGE. I can, and have, used the Autocom into the 130 mph speed range (on a race track) and communicated with another bike with near zero noise. For comparison, I connected the Autocom headsets to the GL1800 intercom system (through an adapter box for the electret mics) and then used the GL1800 intercom system. Above about 80mph the intercom became tottally useless due to the lack of wind filters in the amp.

Honda needs to pay more attention to intercom design and put some active noise filters in the intercom amp.

Ed Davis of EdSets is currently working on a filter to install in-line with the existing headsets to try to filter out the noise. I hope to test these out in the next week or two. If they work out, he may incorporate them into his existing headsets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to get rid of the noise at the source? To reduce or eliminate wind noise at the co-riders mike and mine, do I need to get a better windshield and/or wind deflectors, like the ones that go under the mirrors? What works best for both of us?

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
me too. great set Ed. Installed in a Flip Helmet. Nice clean installation too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts