GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How effective are the heated seat and grips at keeping you warm on a cold day? Do they offset the need for heated clothing? At what temperature do they work best if the rider is wearing insulated but not heated riding gear?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Short answer is No. The seat and grips won't keep your core temp up. I use the grips quite a bit but not the seat. Wife uses the seat in conjunction with her Gerbings jacket liner. She also has pants liners but only uses those on cold trips since that's another layer at restroom breaks.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
They do help. Obviously the colder it is the less effectivethey are. The seat does keep your posterior warm at any outdoor temp. It does nothing for your chest, arms, legs, etc. The grips keep your palms and fingers warm where they touch the grips, but do not keep the back of your hands or fingers warm. Everyone has different tolerances to heat and cold therefore one needs to dress accordingly. Better than nothing. I use Baker hand wings for my fingers which work as good or better than the heated grips. Of course my wife likes the heated seat better than I do. Together with the heated seat and grips I'm good for any temp if I wear insulated gloves. YMMV.

·
Registered
145 Posts
They do help. Obviously the colder it is the less effectivethey are. The seat does keep your posterior warm at any outdoor temp. It does nothing for your chest, arms, legs, etc. The grips keep your palms and fingers warm where they touch the grips, but do not keep the back of your hands or fingers warm.

:agree:

The seats didn't heat well enough for us until Fred H. performed an upgrade on the seat electrics -- especially for the passenger seat. Now they do warm up nicely, but it's still not enough heat for extended miles in cold temps (less than 50 degrees). Same for the grips -- they are nice to have and do add some miles to the ride before we need to stop and warm up but they do nothing for the cold air crossing the tops of my gloves.

We are ordering heated gear this week so we don't have to rely so much on the seats and grips -- -- especially since running the seats and grips together tends to shut the system off until the ignition is recycled if we try and run all on max.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
The grips help a lot when it gets below 40. I use them in conjunction with baker hand wings and can ride down to freezing or a bit below without my hands getting so cold I feel they are unsafe to control / react to the bike.

The seat heater is nice as it adds some warmth and helps at least one part of your body stay warm. The passenger has a heated backrest so they really get more heat than the rider.

My wife and I can ride pretty comfortably to the low 40s without heated gear. We've done some in the 30's but that starts to get a bit cold.

But....like someone else mentioned, it's different for different people. A couple we ride with will pull out heated gear in the low 50's as she gets cold easier and just has more fun if she plugs in and stays warm.

·
Registered
615 Posts
In my opinion the heated grips and seats are more of a psychological rather and physical warmth but they do feel good on a chilly day. As for the heated clothing, anything above 50 degrees is jeans and t-shirt weather!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
In my opinion the heated grips and seats are more of a psychological rather and physical warmth but they do feel good on a chilly day. As for the heated clothing, anything above 50 degrees is jeans and t-shirt weather!
Maybe...but if so it's a powerful psychological impact.

I had a BMW with heated seats and grips and didn't think I needed them. I sold it and got a 2001 Goldwing without them and I REALLY missed them. I ended up buying both from the aftermarket to get it back.

When I went shopping for my 2013, it wasn't even a question in my mind that I was getting it.

The seat is for my wife......but the grips are well worth it to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't realize the entire seat back was heated. My wife will love that!

How effective are the foot vents?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I hardly ever use the heated seat, but I do like the heated grips.

Only problem with me, if it's cold enough to use the heated grips, I have gloves on, and the heat doesn't do too much good.

Now, if someone could make some riding gloves that are kind of open in the palms, but cover tops of your hands, i'd be in hog heaven.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Heated grips and seat are great ! I rode over 100 miles to breakfast a few times when it was below zero with no heated gloves.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Heated grips and seat are great ! I rode over 100 miles to breakfast a few times when it was below zero with no heated gloves.
:lol: You are much more tuff than I. No gloves at zero......not me. I am a Southern boy and if it gets below 40 it is time for drastic measures.

I find the heated seat and grips nice at all temps when required, but never adequate in cold temps for longer rides.

Only heated gear keeps me warm and snug and safe in cold weather. If I do not have heated gear, the bike is going to stay parked in the garage. But with heated jacket liner, heated gloves and insoles for my feet, I suppose it does not get too cold to go if I want to go. Yet if it does get below freezing I park the bike due to black ice and that kind of thing.

Black ice is common in the South, and it can ruin your day.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I hardly ever use the heated seat, but I do like the heated grips.

Only problem with me, if it's cold enough to use the heated grips, I have gloves on, and the heat doesn't do too much good.

Now, if someone could make some riding gloves that are kind of open in the palms, but cover tops of your hands, i'd be in hog heaven.
http://shop.olympiagloves.com/collections/motorcycle-gloves/products/4298-gore-tex-2-in-1-commander

I have these and love them. When using heated grips, you put the extra insulation on the back of your hand using the "grip" layer and it allows the heat to come through. When not on the bike, you insert on the "warm" side and it distributes the gloves insulation normally like a regular glove.

They don't give as much grip feel as my summer gloves, but they are way better than a heavy regular glove and my hand actually stays warmer because I get double insulation on the non-grip side and heat from the grip on the grip side.

Several shops carry them and you can likely beat that price...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ride without the liner in my tourmaster transition 2 jacket and caliber pants with light leather gloves down to around 50deg. When the sun goes down, or the sun comes up, the temp can drop into the low 40s. Heated grips and seat can keep me toasty without having to stop and put in the liner to get home. Long trips in the 40s get the heated jacket and gloves to keep my core warm. Even with the temps in the 35-40deg range heated grips keep your hands warm because the heated gloves usually only have wires on the top.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Effect of heated grips and seats

How effective are the heated seat and grips at keeping you warm on a cold day? Do they offset the need for heated clothing? At what temperature do they work best if the rider is wearing insulated but not heated riding gear?
With heated grips and no wind wings, I can ride in summer gloves down to about 50 degrees. Without heated grips I can wear summer gloves down to about 60 degrees. I would much rather wear summer gloves than winter ones, so I will frequently put on the summer gloves and let my grips warm up for short trips around town even if it is under 50 degrees. If it is under 40 degrees, I'm reaching for the Gerbings gloves for even the shortest ride. With the Gerbings, I use the heated grips on low to keep my palms warm and tend to run the heat on the gloves pretty low.

I don't think the heated seat helps much, but it does make my butt sweat if I keep it on when the temp is 60 degrees or higher. I normally keep the heated seat either turned off or on very low when the temperature is below 60.

I do have bad circulation, so am very sensitive to cold.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I don't turn either on till it gets around 40. I think the hand grips are more important than the seats. Sometimes I forget I have them, but yes they heat up real well once you get down the road.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I am thinking of investing in some sort of heated grip even though I have a full set of Gerbings. Reason why is I have circulation issues in my hands & the grips seem to act as a heat sink even when wearing heated gloves where if I had heated grips I could run the gloves at a lower setting & not fry my legs when wearing the heated pants. The heated seat & grips are a good supplement but as far as replacing heated gear they will fall way short since they do nothing for your core or back of the hands

·
Registered
924 Posts
So do you guys have pics of where you run your power cords for your heated clothing?

Plus where you hook them up from.

Seems the wing is a real PIA to do things to as far as tupperwear goes...my gen 1 royale was real easy......

so I need to add tourmaster cords for me and the passenger and would like some ideas and pics of where to hook them up and where to run them so it doesn't look stupid.

I had a fused block that I added for my royale....is there something like that standard on a wing.

thanks jer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts