GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my new Goldwing DCT non-tour this weekend if the accessories are installed in time. They are offering me an extended warranty out to eight years for about $1000. Is this worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@Sgtt45 Really, only you can answer that based on your pocket and compare to what various repairs will run you on this tech-laden motorcycle. Everything is subjective so stand by for Pro & Con which may or may not help you in your decision making. Based on personal circumstances I purchased the eight-year plan and have had no regrets. Like on my 2012 you can have the remaining warranty months credited back on your next Honda purchase or they will send you a check, your choice. Also, you can use it (Extended Warranty) as a selling point to the prospective buyer. JMHO

Reactions: Sgtt45

·
Registered
414 Posts
For me it depends on how long I plan on keeping it, I like to get the warranty for about a year longer than I intend to keep it. It makes for a nice selling feature, and you don't have to worry about any major repairs. Now if you are going to trade it in or get a new bike before the original three years is up, don't get it. I have used it on my last two bikes, once for a major electrical failure and another time for a saddle bag failure. Both times I came out money ahead. But I keep them for awhile, and I put a boatload of miles on them.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I think it's a good investment on a bike like the 2018+ Goldwing.....actually kind of nice you can extend it to a full 8 years unlimited.
Very high tech bike with a lot of things than "can" go wrong.

With that said, anyone know of a dealer that has any discounts on the 4 or 5 year warranty extension?
My dealer was charging full price, so I passed when I purchased my DCT Tour AB a few weeks ago.
Even at full retail IMHO it's not bad price for another 4/5 years.

Thanks...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'll take another look at it a couple of weeks before the OEM 36 mo warranty runs out. I've already been offered the additional 5 year extended warranty for under $700.

So....my thoughts?

Make haste slowly. I'm betting you'll get your additional 5 years at a better price down the road.:wink2:

·
Registered
364 Posts
The warranty itself, to me, was worth it since this bike is rather sophisticated. But not at $1,000.

Like the person above, I got mine for around $700. Seems like $725 or something, I don't remember exactly, so yeah... if you want the extended warranty, negotiate that price down and rock and roll with it.

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
If you choose to get an extended warranty, make sure it is the one that Honda offers. If it's for 8 years from someone else, it's not even with $1.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you choose to get an extended warranty, make sure it is the one that Honda offers. If it's for 8 years from someone else, it's not even with $1.
Aloha GoldWingrGreg,

I am interested in your thoughts on the above statement.
I purchased a used 2018 and the PO had purchased the 8 yr. warranty and I was going to transfer the warranty to myself.
Can you please shed some light, pros and cons?

·
Registered
605 Posts
You can find the additional 5 year warranty for 600-700. You can also wait until your 3rd year of ownership. No need to pay 1000 at time of purchase. After a couple of years you will know if it is a keeper. I love mine. I will buy 5 yr warranty after my 2nd year but you must buy it before factory 3 yr. warranty expires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The warranty itself, to me, was worth it since this bike is rather sophisticated. But not at $1,000.

Like the person above, I got mine for around $700. Seems like $725 or something, I don't remember exactly, so yeah... if you want the extended warranty, negotiate that price down and rock and roll with it.

Was that the full coverage warranty for $725?
Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Was that the full coverage warranty for $725?
Thanks

In the "caveat emptor" category, read the Honda extended warranty very carefully. It is NOT the same as the 36 mo OEM bumper-to-bumper. There are significant exclusions for some of the more complex electronics items that are--statistically--most prone to failure.

I had a Yamaha Stratoliner that came with an extended company warranty that was bumper-to-bumper; much better than what Honda is offering.

But...

Like life insurance, the issuing company is NOT in business to lose money...:wink2:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I HAVE NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF EITHER OF THESE DEALERSHIPS. THIS IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE GLEANED FROM FORUM POSTS.

This dealership wants you to contact them with your specific needs to receive a quote.
Makes sense to me.

https://www.blueridgepowersports.com/check-out-our--honda-protection-plan

Al Miller at Max's Cycle Sales in Abilene, Tx is another salesman mentioned in threads that offers good prices; 5 yrs for $585 without towing was the price about a year ago. 325-673-4636.

THIS IS WHAT I KNOW FIRST HAND; if you are in Fla, you get the shaft. The Honda Protection Plan is considered "insurance" there and you will pay full retail.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i got my 5yr extended from a dealer in Texas. it was 575 so now i have a total of 8 years from Honda

Reactions: Sgtt45

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
Aloha GoldWingrGreg,

I am interested in your thoughts on the above statement.
I purchased a used 2018 and the PO had purchased the 8 yr. warranty and I was going to transfer the warranty to myself.
Can you please shed some light, pros and cons?
Is it an aftermarket warranty ???

·
Registered
930 Posts
I got an aftermarket warranty, which I was told will cover "Electronics" that Honda would not, for about 900. So I don't have to worry about anything for 8 years.....I am going to ride the heck out of that thing!

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
Aloha GoldWingrGreg,

Yes
This may or may not be true, but this has been my experience. Sometime a claim is denied, because the 't' aren't crossed correctly or on "their" timeline. Repair shops have often found that to be true; therefore, they may require the customer to pay the bill, which leaves the responsibility of collecting money from the insurance company up the owner. Often that's when the owner find out that a 't' was not crossed correctly. Also, the aftermarket insurance company may not pay for a "known issues." For example, I know of one case where the insurance company refused to pay for a transmission repair on a 5th gen ... according to the insurance company, it's a known issue ... according to Honda, "they've never heard of one going bad" leaving all 3, the shop, the insurance company, and Honda, with a bad taste in their mouths, and the owner really pissed off.

Also, the selling agent (probably a dealer), and sales person, are the ones who really make out on the extended warranty. Commissions when one is sold is huge ... probably more than 1/2 of what a person paid for it. The commissions can be high enough where some dealers may not even offer the Honda one.

Usually, there is a deductible that the customer must pay when a repair is needed. If multiple repairs at one time, some will charge multiple deductibles.

Warning ... be sure to read every line of the policy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Its worth it if you need it! I bought it for piece of mind on a first year - 2018 model

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I will be picking up my new Goldwing DCT non-tour this weekend if the accessories are installed in time. They are offering me an extended warranty out to eight years for about $1000. Is this worth it?

The Honda one can be purchased anytime when the basic one is till in place.

Means you have 3 years less a day from your purchase to decide if you want to purchase one.
The Honda one is transferable if the bike is sold.

Gives lots of time to read the 'fine print' and make the decision after the excitement of the new purchase has quieted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts