GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Aspen Classic that has electric brakes, but the the person that bought it new never used them because of problems he had heard about them.
I would like to hear what most people that own these type of trailers opions are; are they good, bad, unsafe or what? :?

Wht lightning

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I've never had electric brakes on a motorcycle pull behind trailer, but I do have them on my truck. You probably know this already, but the controller for the brakes can be adjusted for how much braking is applied. From what I've seen, camping trailers are pretty heavy and I think it would be a good idea to have them for heavy trailers. They would take some getting used to, especially in corners.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have heard good and bad out of having brakes on these campers. I personally think it is a good idea considering the weight of the campers. Most of the group that has campers, have these brakes on them. I just wonder about how long before you have to service them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Trailer brakes

I have an Aspen with trailer brakes which when I bought it were never used by the original owner. I used to work for the Bell Tel and have lots of driving with various trailers and riding experience. I put a regular trailer brake modulator on the bike in a manner that I could adjust it if necessary and I wouldn't ride without brakes all the way around.
The big benefit is that the bike isn't taking all the weight in a stop and the modulator allows the option to increase the braking force or reduce it if the trailer load is light. On wet pavement is notch it down a bit so there is no posibility of a rear skid on wet surface and of course I drive according to the road conditions. I now keep the moduator on its side in the left hand drivers box and very seldomly adjust.
The trickiest situation you should encounter is having to brake hard on a downhill into a corner with wet conditions. Anticipate the turn and do your slowing down before the corner to avoid any possibility of a rear trailer skid. PS If the trailer does start the slide your chances of saving it are low. You went in too fast and have to pay the price. ( For me it was on a dirt mountain road with wet clay with too much speed to make the uphill grade, I flipped the bike and broke as leg. The brakes weren't a factor in this instance it was speed and poor choice on my part, good thing I was without a pasenger as she would have killed me for flipping the bike with her on it.) The final price after the bike was written off was a huge insurance cheque enough to get an 1800.
Good luck and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Aspen Classic brakes - BAD

I purchased an Aspen Classic new. I installed my hitch and even before I had connected the electrical I took it out for a spin in the neighborhood. I was a couple of blocks from home, only going about 30 MPH and I hit a small bump. The left trailer wheel locked up and started bouncing and sounded horrible. It scared the crap out of me and I finally got it stopped. To make a long story short, I returned home, called the factory and they said that "yeah sometimes this happens" . After talking to them, I removed the brakes myself. I would highly recommend that if you have them to remove them, it's real easy. It is not worth the worry of that happening while your going at a much faster clip.

Good luck

G

·
I also own an Aspen classic, WITHOUT the brakes, I wrote the actual manufacturer of the brakes and was told BY THEM NOT to get them with a motorcycle trailer. I didn't and haven't had the least bit of problem towing it all over the US, mountains and all. Never once did I wish I had, nor needed the extra trailer brakes . And this was all just on a 1500 .
I wouldn't get caught dead with brakes on a bike trailer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
We've pulled our classic just over 17K now and haven't had a bit of problems with the brakes. I do adjust them as the operators manual states and check them quite often. I just don't like the idea of a 450-500# (loaded) box pushing a 850# bike. Everyone has there own thoughts about this as with the different hitches.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I had a Kwick Kamp, which I think is a predecesor to the Aspen: Queen size bed, square box, heavy, no aerodynamics, etc. It did not have electric brakes and I never even considered adding them. If the electric brakes grab while you are in a turn, it would be really tough to try to compensate. I would rather just keep in mind what I am towing, how much it weighs, and riding accordingly. I suppose that if you have electric brakes, they are set up correct, maintained, don't malfunction, and you are used to the way they impact the handling of your bike, it should be just fine. Those are to many "if"s for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my Aspen with brakes and used them for a while. I used a brake controller that activated the brakes according to time and intensity set. I found that I had to release the brake often when doing slow speed moves so the controller would reset. If I did not, the trailer brake would start to grab and retard my desired slow progress. This is especially noticeable if you feather the brake and clutch against the throttle during slow speed turns as practiced by most motorcycle police officers.

Now I just drive accordingly without trailer brakes, taking traffic, weather conditions and the added weight into consideration.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I am still in debate on to either have the brakes or not on the bunkhouse. It looks like I will be ordering one soon and it is one expensive option to add the brakes. But with the bushtec, never have I needed the brakes in my opinion. But I know the bunkhouse is ALOT more weight, so I think I would rather have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Brakes

If I am not mistaken, the brakes for the bunkhouse are very different than the brakes on the Aspen Classic. The Bunkhouse has a combo electric/hydraulic setup which costs about 7 or 8 times more than the simple magnet/electric setup on the Aspen classic. If I felt that I had to have brakes I would definitely go with the Bunkhouse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts