GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Aspen camper and have decided to add electric brakes to it. I'm new to trailer towing (started with the biggest I could find didn't I?:lol:) and feel like the loaded weight is going to be an issue for me. I searched on here, but didn't see answers to a couple of questions.

I've been doing some net research and the Tekonsha Prodigy proportional controller seems to be recomended a lot. What do folks on here use?

Some folks mount the controller in a water proof box on the trailer with a power switch on the bike so that the brakes can be disabled if needed. Seems that the controller doesn't care where it's mounted. Just makes the initial setup adjustments a lot harder. I like this idea because that way I can pull it with one of my hot rods and use the brakes without a lot of extra wiring. Anybody see anything wrong with mounting the controller on the trailer?

Any other comments about using brakes are welcomed.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once the brakes are set you don't need to adjust the controller unless the weight of the camper changes. The problem with mounting the controller on the trailer is that it needs a power wire run to it. You could mount it in your trunk or bag also. I don't think you will need the brakes pulling it with a street rod.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I installed the Prodigy brake controller with the remote control. Main unit mounts to my Aspen camper and the small handheld remote plugs into the cig. lighter and sits in the glovebox. It is pricy but sure made for a clean and easy install. The unit works great and can be adjusted on the "fly". The boost function is really helpful and has a wide range of brake adjustments. Nice to get a precise adjustment while riding and can change the settings very quickly.
IMO Prodigy is the way to go.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I posted this on another thread but I failed to mention the switch to disable the Prodigy. I mounted it on the right side panel below the locking door. I bought a switch from Electric Connection (Lewis) that had a light and is waterproof. The light is powered in line with the trigger (rear brake lights). When the switch is turned on the brake light power lights the switch and powers the trigger of the Prodigy. Below is from another post.

I have been using the Prodigy controller since 2003 with the force set around 6 (I think), we have an Aspen classic. I mounted the controller in the right front ferring pocket and just left the door open when I first got it while testing and adjusting to find the best force setting. Then I leave the pocket door closed. It fits nicely and is out of the weather and I would recommend it. I cut a hole in the back of the pocket and ran my wires under the shelter and trigger it off the brake wires under the seat.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm

Bryansong

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had electric brakes on my first Motorcycle camper. The controller was in the trailer and worked just fine there. As was said, once adjusted it worked quite nicely. As for needing a power wire - if the controller is on the bike you need a wire from the controller to the brakes so the number of wires needed is the same. You will need to run a 6 wire plug either way. As for needing to put it in a waterproof box, you could also mount it inside the trailer where it would be out of the weather.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. We haven't had a chance to use the camper much and getting it ready is one of my next projects.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you purchase the prodigy? Whats the model number and price? How does your bike handle pulling the aspen classic?
Has the weight of the camper effected the handling or performance of your bike in regards to safety.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Brake Controller

I to, have an Aspen Classic with brakes...and use a 6-wire plug on the bike..the controller is placed in the top trunk of the bike and attached to the wall with Velcro. I don't use a lot of brake, just adjust the setting high enough to feel a little stopping assistance. Once this setting is found, I hardly ever make other adjustments. The controller is out of the way but yet accessible/somewhat and in a dry location.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't remember where I bought it, I just found it on the internet in 2003. A friend recommended it
so I went and found a source.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How are you adding brakes? New axle underneath? I am interested as I want to add them to mine.

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Where did you purchase the prodigy? Whats the model number and price? How does your bike handle pulling the aspen classic?
Has the weight of the camper effected the handling or performance of your bike in regards to safety.

Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control

·
Registered
513 Posts
How are you adding brakes? New axle underneath? I am interested as I want to add them to mine.

Thanks
I'm not sure how you would do it on a trailer that doesn't have them, I ordered my trailer with brakes already. What trailer do you have?
You could check with the trailer manufacturer to see if they have a source for you.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Thanks
Aspen uses Dexter brand axles. They can supply the backing plates with brakes and drums.

Other brands, who knows?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Aspen uses Dexter brand axles. They can supply the backing plates with brakes and drums.

Other brands, who knows?
Yes I called ASPEN and they gave me the part numbers. Then I called Dexter after looking on their website and found a store that carries their products. Actually bought two new hubs with everything in it, bearings etc. Was actually cheaper by 20 bucks than getting the individual parts. Everything new then at the same time.
Have to decide what controller, Prodigy and the draw tite ativator where the ones mentioned by the company, they said to get the electronic one.

Any good suggestions? I believe my existing trailer wiring will work, though may have to run an additional power wire on the trailer for the brakes from the 6 round that is on it. I know I have an "aux" power wire on the bike hitch wiring now that I can use.
Just have to find which brake light wire to tie into for the signal. New at this part so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

obwan

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just triggered off the wire that goes to the rear brake lights bulb. Sorry, I don't remember which wire it is.

Bryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts