GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 - "Dexter" axle and electric brake manufactureres says not to use electric brakes on motorcycle trailers for reasons stated in their waiver. Does anyone have any bad experiences with electric brakes or any comments on Dexters warning?

2 - If you have electric brakes where have you mounted the modulator/controller? Does it need to be in sight for immediate use?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You can get a lot of info here.
I have an Aspen classic with Dexter brakes. They work out great for me. They are nice to have on wet roads, our when you have to make a panic stop. A few years ago Dexter did not make brakes for the smaller trailers and people would go to Dexter and get brakes that were rated higher than the loads that the small trailers would carry and they had problems. I think that it is an legal issue and they keep the warning posted. Dexter makes an axle with brakes for the Aspen trailers and they sell the axle with brakes or without brakes. Aspen does not sell brake kits to add on later. I do not know what the other manufactures do.
I have my controller with Velcro on the back and Velcro on my tank and keep it in a faring pocket. That way it is not out in the weather and I can use trailer brakes only without bike brakes if I want. I can also adjust the amount of braking on the trailer depending on the load in the trailer. I have seen it mounted on the handlebars, in trunks, on the tongue of the trailer and even in the trailer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and the valuable information. My research has shown that a time delay controller is better for motorcycle application than the proportional type. Apparently the proportional type are sensitive to lateral angles (such as the bike leaning on corners) that could cause the contoller to malfunction or not even work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Installed the Prodigy controller. The "RF" model. Unit is remote control so when in use I just power it from the 12v plug in the glove box. Clean set up that works really well and once adjusted for load.....just sits in the glove box and no wires. Has lots of adjustment to fine tune the brakes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the valuable information. My research has shown that a time delay controller is better for motorcycle application than the proportional type. Apparently the proportional type are sensitive to lateral angles (such as the bike leaning on corners) that could cause the contoller to malfunction or not even work.

I had a camper with electric brakes, the controller was in the camper itself. Once adjusted correctly it worked fine, no problem about the lean that way.

I now have an Aspen Classic and a couple of times I would have liked to had brakes on it. Pucker factor in rapidly slowing traffic is no fun. I need to look into getting some to add on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We got our new Classic without brakes last winter, and after a couple of short trips, I decided to add brakes just for a little extra security in unpredictable situations. I got them thru a Dexter distributor. I got a digital brake controller, which is the best way to go. I mounted it in the right fairing pocket on my 1800, where it is easy access to adjust if you need to.

·
Registered
806 Posts
What at brand and model of controller did you get . A wireless controller makes sense to me.

We got our new Classic without brakes last winter, and after a couple of short trips, I decided to add brakes just for a little extra security in unpredictable situations. I got them thru a Dexter distributor. I got a digital brake controller, which is the best way to go. I mounted it in the right fairing pocket on my 1800, where it is easy access to adjust if you need to.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a proportional controller and I mounted the controller in the trailer. Once you get the settings set you never need to adjust them. The proportional controller, im my opinion, is BETTER than the time delay controller. The application of the trailer brakes is so smooth and virtually transparent. I often question if the brakes are even working until I shut them off and you notice the immediate difference. While I have the controller mounted in the trailer I do have a power off switch on the bike so I can disable if I so desire. Another advantage of the proportional controller is you don't have to worry about slow speed parking lot situations with the trailer brakes coming on and pulling you off balance.
The discussion I see about how dangerous trailer brakes are on a motorcycle trailer does not fit my experience. I have braked going into corners and in all different type situations and could not sense a single negative affect of the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What at brand and model of controller did you get . A wireless controller makes sense to me.
I have a Hopkins Impulse controller. It has a digital readout. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have Rolla A Home camper with elec. brakes , uses Dexter axles. MOUNTED THE CONTROLLER INSIDE CAMPER OUT OF WEATHER AND OUT OF THE WAY . Once set it needs very little attention .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a Kwik Kamp and would like to add brakes! Has anyone done it and where do i start?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You can get a lot of info here.
I have an Aspen classic with Dexter brakes. They work out great for me. They are nice to have on wet roads, our when you have to make a panic stop. A few years ago Dexter did not make brakes for the smaller trailers and people would go to Dexter and get brakes that were rated higher than the loads that the small trailers would carry and they had problems. I think that it is an legal issue and they keep the warning posted. Dexter makes an axle with brakes for the Aspen trailers and they sell the axle with brakes or without brakes. Aspen does not sell brake kits to add on later. I do not know what the other manufactures do.
I have my controller with Velcro on the back and Velcro on my tank and keep it in a faring pocket. That way it is not out in the weather and I can use trailer brakes only without bike brakes if I want. I can also adjust the amount of braking on the trailer depending on the load in the trailer. I have seen it mounted on the handlebars, in trunks, on the tongue of the trailer and even in the trailer.
Rolla Home campers uses Dexter brakes as well , when you order camper with brakes as an option . Love the brakes on mine . did have an issue with magnets on brakes failing , but I think Dexter has that fixed now. Prodigy p2 controller mounted in camper out of weather.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I just added electric brakes to my aspen. They work great. Glad I did it.
Start by calling the manufacture of your camper or look at your rear axle on the camper and get the dexter number or what manufacture and numbers they have on it.
Call them and they will be able to tell you the numbers of the parts needed to add the electric brakes.
If it is dexter they have a website that you can also use to see what parts you need.

Good luck, you will have to add a wire or two to your existing plug. I converted my 4 wire to a small 6 wire round. Didn't need 7 wire like most. This will depend on how the wiring is on your camper. I changed mine(rewired the plugs) to match. I also did as others have done(and thanks to them for sharing their info and for their help) and mounted my prodigy p2 controller in a plastic box on the tongue of the trailer.

If your mechanically inclined it should be easy for you.

Like I said mine work great and you can tell a difference in stopping with them working.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wiring up my controller

Hey guys...I HAD an 02 GL1800 which I just traded in for a 2015 Level 3 Anniversary edition (sweeeeet!). But....
I have a RAH camper with prodigy brake controller which I had wired up on the 02 and controlled with a brake reservoir switch cluster. My 02 basically had two wiring harnesses. One for the "conventional" stuff (I have a small cargo trailer too) which does the running lights, brake lights, turning lights etc for both the utility trailer and the RAH. The second was just for the RAH - a four pin flat which controlled the brake controller. I robbed this harness from the 02 before I traded it in.

My question....I have lost my original schematic and have forgotten which wire under the seat I need to splice into for the controller to apply power to the camper brakes when I apply the brakes. I know it is under the seat, in one of those boots just in front of the trunk.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH WIRE I NEED TO SPLICE INTO? ??? THANKS!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts