GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone beside Gerbing make a decent set of electric gloves that doesn't cost an arm and leg? Does Widder make them, and if so can they be used with a Gerbing controller?

I'm about ready to just make my own. $180 for a pair of gloves just seems like too much money.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a pair of Widder Gloves and the wiring harness that came with them is a series type circuit. After purchasing the Gerbing Jacket Liner pre-wired for gloves, and some extensions. I decided to try the Widder Gloves using the Gerbing pre-wired hook-up.

I cut the un-needed end from the extensions and connected a Widder type end to the extensions, so that each glove would connect to each sleeve connection. I can still use the Widder gloves with the original series connector if necessary.

The Gerbing Controller is a pulse type controller. When I turn on the gloves, I only turn the control to approx 1/4, as soon as they are warm enough, I turn them back to just past the on "click". and they keep my hands toasty. Down below 30 deg F, I have to increase just a little. I think you could probably turn it up enough to burn out the wiring in the gloves, because they will get really, really hot at half way. TOO HOT!!!

Hope this helps.

Harold

I like my Widder gloves but they are not Watterproof, just water resistant.
I have sprayed them with campdry, but it doesn't help much.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Heated Gloves

Fred, Gerbing will wire any glove with a lining. Just check with them first then send the gloves to them.
I had a pair of First Gear [I think] and had them to wire them for me. They work great with my Heated Jacket Liner. Fair prices.
Good Luck

Barney Biker

2002 GL 1800

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Fred, I just tried my gerbings today. Toasty and a Good fit, yes they were pricey but I ordered them with the 20% discount. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Fred, I own a pair of Widder heated gloves. Yes you can buy a wire from Widder for that will take care of Widder gloves to Gerbing wiring for just a few bucks. That is what I am doing right now. I really like the Widder heated gloves.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gerbing gloves

I have the jacket liner and the G3 gloves, just got back from a 60 ride at 26 degrees in Michigan, with the controller and the liner and gloves felt like 75 outside. I have friends who have the Widders and like them just as well, the gaultlets are a little longer on the Widders, but I like my Gerbing just fine for Michigan. I have rode when it was 17 outside and not much difference from 26 or 17 both are pretty warm..

Keep em toasty!!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have had a pair of Widder gloves for about eight years. Two weeks ago one was not heating well. I called Widder and they said send them in with the wiring. I did, they rewired the gloves and returned them in a week ...as good as new...NO CHARGE other than postage...hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I took a ride last night with our new Gerbing G3 gloves and jacket liner.

it was only 44*F per the bike....... what a difference heat makes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cozy Winters and WarmnSafe are all Gerbing wanna be's..... But, hey! Give 'em all a chance, products and product service is where it is at.

Go to warmnsafe.com and read the gentleman type style comments of the owner. And I thought the Air Force developed heated clothing first.....

And to the rider using Widder gloves on the Gerbing liner, it is very hot because the Widder glove runs on 6 volts and you are putting 12 volts in them, be very, very careful.....

RPG

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Cozy Winters and WarmnSafe are all Gerbing wanna be's..... But, hey! Give 'em all a chance, products and product service is where it is at
I've had great service from cozy winters and the products have a lifetime warranty on the elements. Never dealt with gerbing so I can't say. Fred thought 200 bucks was a little high for gloves so he's getting other options. Can't say I blame him. Tim

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
And to the rider using Widder gloves on the Gerbing liner, it is very hot because the Widder glove runs on 6 volts and you are putting 12 volts in them, be very, very careful.....
My Gerbing gloves are wired in parallel and my Widder gloves are wired in series. If your harness for the Widders is wired so the gloves are in series all will be fine. But if you use a Gerbing glove parallel wire harness and conect Widders to it you will indeed be putting 12V through each glove which will be 4 times the wattage and things will get very hot and probably blow a fuse or controller.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Jack, Widder makes the adapter along with the plug adapers and there is no added voltage to the gloves. If you call Widder they can explain it to you. It works without any problems. The cost for what you need is $36.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts