GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike going in for 16K service tomorrow. One of the 16k items is “inspect / adjust the electric reverse operation”. This is also an item for the 8k service, don’t know if any adjustment was done when I had the 8k service done.

Never had a problem with reverse until 3 days ago. Went to use reverse, it appeared to go into reverse, but when I hit the reverse motion switch – no motion, just sounded like stripped gears. Turned bike off and on. Did not help. Rode bike for a couple of days. Did not try to use reverse again. Today just for grins tried reverse again. It worked like normal again. Used it a couple of times. No problems at all.

My question – does it sound like my bike needs the “electric reverse cable adjustment”? Any tips on what I should tell the technician that will be working on my bike? The tech working my bike is a competent and trusted tech at an independent (i.e., non Honda) shop that is well versed in adjusting the reverse on older goldwings, but has not done such for the newer wings (2018, 2019). Is the reverse adjustment much different on the 2018 (manual) wing compared to the older wings? Thanks in advance for any info (videos, procedures, specs, etc.) that you may provide.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My bike going in for 16K service tomorrow. One of the 16k items is “inspect / adjust the electric reverse operation”. This is also an item for the 8k service, don’t know if any adjustment was done when I had the 8k service done.

Never had a problem with reverse until 3 days ago. Went to use reverse, it appeared to go into reverse, but when I hit the reverse motion switch – no motion, just sounded like stripped gears. Turned bike off and on. Did not help. Rode bike for a couple of days. Did not try to use reverse again. Today just for grins tried reverse again. It worked like normal again. Used it a couple of times. No problems at all.

My question – does it sound like my bike needs the “electric reverse cable adjustment”? Any tips on what I should tell the technician that will be working on my bike? The tech working my bike is a competent and trusted tech at an independent (i.e., non Honda) shop that is well versed in adjusting the reverse on older goldwings, but has not done such for the newer wings (2018, 2019). Is the reverse adjustment much different on the 2018 (manual) wing compared to the older wings? Thanks in advance for any info (videos, procedures, specs, etc.) that you may provide.

Yes your cable needs adjusting I just went through this with mine. Same deal sounds like stripped gears next time it works, but there will be a day s-o-o-n when it won't work. I watched my tech at the Honda dealer do mine took him 5 mins outside in the parking lot and done deal. The adjustment is on the left hand side sitting on the bike and he removed a plastic cover to get into it. Takes a couple of wrench's to adjust and he also removed the cover on the right hand side to look at that end of the cable as I think that is actually where it pulls it up into reverse. Soooooo I am not sure if that is like older wings or not you might want to take it to a Honda dealer dunno

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts
Keep in mind that there is no synchronizer on the reverse gears, so if the bike makes the stripped gear sound, try nudging it forward or back a little to help the teeth mesh. Even a 01-17 wing can make the noise and the cables be properly adjusted.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes your cable needs adjusting I just went through this with mine. Same deal sounds like stripped gears next time it works, but there will be a day s-o-o-n when it won't work. I watched my tech at the Honda dealer do mine took him 5 mins outside in the parking lot and done deal. The adjustment is on the left hand side sitting on the bike and he removed a plastic cover to get into it. Takes a couple of wrench's to adjust and he also removed the cover on the right hand side to look at that end of the cable as I think that is actually where it pulls it up into reverse. Soooooo I am not sure if that is like older wings or not you might want to take it to a Honda dealer dunno
Thanks - just the info I was looking for!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that there is no synchronizer on the reverse gears, so if the bike makes the stripped gear sound, try nudging it forward or back a little to help the teeth mesh. Even a 01-17 wing can make the noise and the cables be properly adjusted.
Thanks, will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reverse adjustment

Actually, it's a combination of adjustments. The top shelter needs to come off to adjust the actuator on the left then the small panel on the left side needs to pop off to make the adjustments to the cam on the right side under the engine cover. Once both are adjusted you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, it's a combination of adjustments. The top shelter needs to come off to adjust the actuator on the left then the small panel on the left side needs to pop off to make the adjustments to the cam on the right side under the engine cover. Once both are adjusted you'll be good to go.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I ride a Tour 6 speed manual. On my bike the small black plastic panel above the foot rest on the RIGHT side of the bike needs to come off. It's not on the left. Maybe with the DCT it's the left. I don't know.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Several on the site in another thread said this adjustment is not covered under the Honda warranty

BS to the folks saying the adjustment to the reverse or forward cable is a wear item. It is not WARRANTY should cover

·
Registered
589 Posts
I ride a Tour 6 speed manual. On my bike the small black plastic panel above the foot rest on the RIGHT side of the bike needs to come off. It's not on the left. Maybe with the DCT it's the left. I don't know.

Must be several ways to adjust as I watched the tech from my dealership adjust (loosen the lock nut) and adjust taking up or letting out on the left side (sitting on the bike) not sure which while checking under the right side with both black plastic covers removed. Either way he didn't remove the shelter and was a 5min deal. Also when this cable gets far enough out of adjustment rocking the bike forward/back does nothing to engage R. It will work for a little while but the end is near when you start rocking it and adjustment is soon to follow.

·
Love The DCT
12,003 Posts
There is no reverse adjustment on the DCT.

:doorag:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Must be several ways to adjust as I watched the tech from my dealership adjust (loosen the lock nut) and adjust taking up or letting out on the left side (sitting on the bike) not sure which while checking under the right side with both black plastic covers removed. Either way he didn't remove the shelter and was a 5min deal. Also when this cable gets far enough out of adjustment rocking the bike forward/back does nothing to engage R. It will work for a little while but the end is near when you start rocking it and adjustment is soon to follow.
Good information. I'll take off the left black engine cover and see if there's access to make a cable adjustment. The Honda Service Manual states that the top shelter cover needs to come off to make the adjustment and is silent about removing the left black engine cover. It would be great if the top shelter cover does not need to be removed. Lots of plastic needs to be take off for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts