GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I had mentioned I am having a new trike built. From an accident I was in I have lots of metal in the left leg and ankle. I was thinking of doing an electric shifter kit. Has anybody done one on a 2008? Do you have opinions as to what is good or bad? Thanks again!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
As I had mentioned I am having a new trike built. From an accident I was in I have lots of metal in the left leg and ankle. I was thinking of doing an electric shifter kit. Has anybody done one on a 2008? Do you have opinions as to what is good or bad? Thanks again!
wachman, I use the Pingel shifter and have had great success with it. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. It would be my pleasure. Do a Google on Pingel and they have a video showing how the Pingel looks on a Goldwing.

here is the link that I mentioned.

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter.htm

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
That ought to just about take care of this subject. Now we can run it into something else: Hijack Time:

If Wheels cant help on this No One can!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Wheels will stand behind what he says. :oops:

Wait for it..............
Wait for it...............

-Dan

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Wheels will stand behind what he says. :oops:

Wait for it..............
Wait for it...............

-Dan
Sorry I am late responding Dan, I finally heard the folks who were hollering at me as I was Outstanding in my Field. (how was that, OK?);)

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
That ought to just about take care of this subject. Now we can run it into something else: Hijack Time:

If Wheels cant help on this No One can!!!
MikeRoach http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2389174#post2389174

A farmer's rule of thumb on the gestation of pigs is scratch your thumbnail at the edge of your skin, apporximately 63 days later the scratch mark should be at the end of your thumb. Now taking that information one step further, your new thumb nail should start pushing your old anil out of the way in about 30 to 45 days. Of course you can accelerate this process by using a very sharp knife and start whittlin' away at the nail and have it gone in about 30 days. Best thing to do is let nature take it's course and forget about it, and let it fall off naturally.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Is that where Wheels put his tatoo? Toenail?

Hijack this.......:joke:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Wheels I have someone (a customer) who would like to speak with someone about the device you mentioned above. He's considering a Trike and needs advice on how well they work.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wheels I have someone (a customer) who would like to speak with someone about the device you mentioned above. He's considering a Trike and needs advice on how well they work.
I'm sure Wheels will "walk" you through it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Watchman,
Welcome to the board.
I too have an electronic shifter. The one I use is called Kliktronic. When I researched them, they were the original manufacturers of this style of shifter. The difference between Pingle and Kliktronic is water resistance. They both seem to be good shifters but I like the fact that Klictronics was more durable in wet weather. Whichever one you choose to use, I am sure you will like it. Good luck with your new trike and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
both Stumpy and wheels are top's in that field....:agree:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also have a Pingle annd they work great for someone like that has M.S.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
This was a post that was made in January, and it was on a 1500 instead of a 1800, and had the dual brake set-up on the hand brakes (one lever for the rear, other for the front). But it gets the idea across, as the installation on both bikes are about the same.

Some people need some modifications to the original bikes to ride again.
This is what was put on a MotorTrike conversion to enable a person with
limited use of his feet to ride, and it works very well. This is on a GL1500.

First is the shifter. It is an electric shift run by a pair of buttons on
the handlebars. I thought it was interesting that it was not designed for
a handicapped aid, but for race bikers that wanted quicker shifts. However,
it works really well on a wing. There is even an interupter you can add
that makes split second shifting without the clutch possible. Still need the
clutch to get the big horse running, though. This is the shift buttons on
the handlebars.

This is the electric shifter mounted and looking down at it.

And this is what it looks like from the side, with the footpeg removed.

And on the other side is the brake set-up. The linked brake system has been
seperated, and a dual master cylinder has replaced the stock one. One
(top lever) controls the rear brakes, and the other (bottom lever) controls
the front brake. They adjust really easily, and you just set them so when
you apply the brakes, your fingers first activate the rear brake, and as you
put more pressure on the levers, you reach the bottom lever which applies
brakes on the front wheel. Or, you can adjust them so its all front or all
rear brake - there is that much flexability in the system.

The adjusting wheels are black plastic on front of hand levers.

The will also maching the levers with a little more curve in the levers for small hands.

I have tried this set-up, and find it very comfortable and easy to get used to.
I have to add that taking the foot pegs off sure makes a trike with running
boards a lot more comfortable to ride. And tends to make one lazy....

This set-up including the trike kit was installed by S&D Custom Cycles in
Grants Pass, OR, and they are a MotorTrike dealer. They also are distributers
for the shift and brake kits. I have had real good luck with their work, and
they are one of very few I would recommend.

Now, Wheels, just so someone can get information, how about posting your
conversion with a few pictures? I am sure there are handicapped persons
really wanting to ride, but do not have any information.

And watch out for Caem - Saw him this weekend, and he went to Gerbings open house and put a move on
Gerbings poster girl - see Another Weekend Work Party on the Tech board.....the sly dog......

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would be most happy to help where and when I can. Feel free to pass along my number or, have them email me, if they prefer. [email protected]

. . . Now, Wheels, just so someone can get information, how about posting your conversion with a few pictures? I am sure there are handicapped persons really wanting to ride, but do not have any information. . .

And watch out for Caem - Saw him this weekend, and he went to Gerbings open house and put a move on
Gerbings poster girl - see Another Weekend Work Party on the Tech board.....the sly dog......
Now leave it to the "Non-Disabled Guy" to make a great presentation (on second thought, I met Harry and I think there is a disability in there some where LOL)

I guess I need to drag my butt out to the Garage and take some pictures up close. I'll do that. But in all honesty, Harry has done such a great job in helping a few friends up there on the soggy Left Coast. The installer that has worked with these accommodations has done a great job and Harry as well, with all the research. Might be a good idea if that installer did some clinics or something for these that would be interested. Hey Harry, if I come out to a clinic, can I stay at your place? Maybe Carol can round up some more of that secret AMS-BOBBLE test formula.

Harry, I need to let you in on a secret, but only you. The ladies just love us Disabled guys. You normal guys are a dime a dozon, but we are a "special breed."

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Aman....your in touch with the world......not just passing through it......

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Harry...said it all...Great job!!:yes1: I am getting the twin lever braking system put on my trike as we speak.... thanks for all the great information!:bow:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ams-Bobble test formula!:eek:4: :nojoke:
I finally got my dad on my trike yesterday for the first time. He had hell getting his leg over it. He has had both knees replaced and has lost the majority of his flexibility. But watching him play in the parking lot and grinning was worth a little pain to me. He never got it out of first gear. He just couldn't work the H/T and the brake was a problem too. Later that day I put him on Tammy's silverwing and he was adapted to it much better. No gears, brakes on the handlebars. At first he was going slow about 40mph. After we stopped for lunch and was leaving I turned around and he was gone. He had a doctor appt for a check up and all was good. The doctor said his blood pressure was down for a change(even with meds) and asked what he had been doing. Dad told him that he just came off a little ride with his son and that was it. The doc said maybe you ought to try it again and see what happens. Dads just a grinning. If ya'll don't mind keep my dad in your prayers.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I met Harry and I think there is a disability in there some where LOL

After meeting Harry you ONLY THINK there is a DISABILITY :shock:
Remember he out foxed the Left Coast Feds through out the transportation of the Bobble,,, Still ain't sure how he did that without help :shrug:, and the stuff he brought for the "Adult Entertainment" Remember what it did to Blane :eek:4:

Yoou guys are Great Friends!!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Harry you know no body could get close to that girl you and David had her full attention these pictures were taken of my shifter it also has the interrupter

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts