GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not cheap by any means, but The Windbender is $249.95 + $12.00 shipping. The electric option is an additional $350.00. I’m currently back ordered on the electric option,(Quote). Must be nice. cough cough :eek:
This is direct from Firecreek. Anybody have this electric option yet, :?

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
I was told I would have one a couple weeks ago, and I plan to do a full blown photo install and eval on it when I get it. Tom told me he has some parts he needed from a vendor backordered, but that he expected them soon.

I also have heard from some good sources that the 2005 will have an electrically adjustable windsheild as an option.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
05 electric

I wonder how come honda always puts on a short windshield that suits almost nobody?????????
Electric or manual, it's gonna be the first thing that gets swapped out............JD

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wonder how come honda always puts on a short windshield that suits almost nobody?????????
I'm 5' 7" and had to cut off 2 inches from the stock WS, so that I could see over it in the full down position. Learned years ago that looking through the WS at night in the rain wasn't for me.

G

·
Neil-In-Seattle said:
I'm 5' 7" and had to cut off 2 inches from the stock WS, so that I could see over it in the full down position. Learned years ago that looking through the WS at night in the rain wasn't for me.
I'm with you Neil. I leave the windsheild at it's lowest setting. The only time it changes is when the R2 unit is installed. I raised it up then so it gets better protection. I think we are all aware that the back seat gets pretty windy on this one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also cut my stock windshield down about 3". When my windshield is all the way up it is as tall as the stock one all the way down. It works for me even on 1,000 mile days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't have the electric option or really see the need for it but I love my regular Wind Bender. I am giving my stock windshield to a friend. U.M.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cutting the stock screen

Neil, did you cut 2" off the stock screen because you needed to in order to see over it, or 'cause the buffeting was bad at the lowest position for the original size? I also prefer to look over vs through but at the lowest position the buffeting is so bad I see double after awhile... I am 5' 8" also. I have been debating the Windbender as an option, but just keep getting madder over the fact that I have to spend ANOTHER bunch of $$$ to try and correct a design fault you would think a $27,500.00 motorcycle would have come without. After the frame cracks, ECM, etc., I am getting descouraged. I had 3 screens for my ST1100, none of which was a total solution. Anyway, I ramble...
Can anyone out there say the Windbender HP really alows you to see over the screen AND eliminate, (or reduce to an acceptable level...) the buffeting?? Oh, and its is rumored to make the ride for the 'R2' unit acceptable as well, sounds to good to be true. And all for only $368.00 Can. for the 'manual' version.
My '76 Harley FLH shovel was less trouble...
Jim W.
Black 03

·
Registered
788 Posts
I cut it down 2 inches so that I could see over it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
At about 5'9", I'm right up there with some of you other tall folks. My '02 had the OEM shield, which I used in the lowest position. After installing an OEM '04 vented shield, I'm convinced that there is less buffeting, particularly in the 65 - 85 mph range. My guess is because the vent housing has a few slotted openings that direct air up the back side of the windshield (regardless of vent position), the low pressure area behind the windshield has been largely negated, resulting in less turbulence and buffeting. Whatever it is, it is a definite improvement. (Disclaimer: Void where prohibited, YMMV, not available in all areas, restrictions apply, yada yada yada)

markie

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
markie said:
After installing an OEM '04 vented shield,
markie
Markie, where did you get the 04 sheild w/vent?...I have been looking with no sucess. :?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks Markie,

I'm vasilating between the stock shield with a vent and the wind bender hp....mostly for the buffeting issue on my SO. I have read the vent does help in neutralizing the low pressure area, much the same as the hp design does...so guess it's a choice thing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Gary, it's a shame that you're not closer, you could ride mine and make up your mind before spending any cash. The real shame is that I'm not closer to Phoenix so I could ride year round 8)

markie

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
markie said:
Gary, it's a shame that you're not closer, you could ride mine and make up your mind before spending any cash. The real shame is that I'm not closer to Phoenix so I could ride year round 8)

markie
Well heck Markie....just point your wing west and come on out...Arizona Bike Week is just around the corner :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts