GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 1 year, 15,000 miles – never had a problem with the windscreen going up or down. Went for a ride today, windscreen would not go up or down. It was “stuck” in the last position I rode in (just below eye level).

Got home, turned bike off, then back on. Windscreen “inched down” to lowest position. Then it worked as normal again (i.e., could raise or lower).

Seems like some type of electronic “reset” (like rebooting computer) phenomena. Do you have any idea how I may have caused the problem? Or how to avoid the problem in the future?

·
Registered
808 Posts
See, it's stuff like this that worries me for the future. All the hysteria about DCT longevity doesn't bother me, because I fully expect the main mechanical stuff to last forever on this bike. But it has so many electrical gizmos that I have no doubt in another 5 years I'll be riding the bike with the screen stuck in one position, a blown speaker, CarPlay incompatible with some new entirely wireless iPhone, scroll wheel broken......

That'll be the annoying stuff that happens to the bike over time I'll bet.

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
471 Posts
...... Windscreen “inched down” to lowest position. Then it worked as normal again .......how to avoid the problem in the future?.....
The ST1300 electric windshield mechanism looks very similar to the new Wing mechanism.
And the ST commonly had problems with the plastic gears stripping out after lots of use over many, many years.
I never had trouble with mine, but I just left it in a good spot and rarely moved it.

I suspect that this new Wing mechanism WILL have more failures over time because it goes up and down automatically when the bike powers on and off, depending on what position you left it in of course.
And I think the Wing Standard owners will have the MOST trouble in the long run due to them raising and lowering that small windshield every time they ride.

My solution was to buy a 22 inch tall shield (stock is 20 inch) that I never have to adjust, except maybe in a severe storm.
Adjusting the shield on the freeway with 80 mph winds pushing on the windshield mechanism will probably make it fail that much faster.
I hope that Honda learned from the many ST1300 mechanism failures, but only time will tell.
Jefro.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had the shield lock in a certain position on my Concours14 two different time. Both times, cycling the ignition resolved it. Just a byproduct of a software driven system, I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Over 1 year, 15,000 miles – never had a problem with the windscreen going up or down. Went for a ride today, windscreen would not go up or down. It was “stuck” in the last position I rode in (just below eye level).

Got home, turned bike off, then back on. Windscreen “inched down” to lowest position. Then it worked as normal again (i.e., could raise or lower).

Seems like some type of electronic “reset” (like rebooting computer) phenomena. Do you have any idea how I may have caused the problem? Or how to avoid the problem in the future?
Same issue happening here from time to time

i have to switch bike on and off to get working again !!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The ST1300 electric windshield mechanism looks very similar to the new Wing mechanism.
And the ST commonly had problems with the plastic gears stripping out after lots of use over many, many years.
I never had trouble with mine, but I just left it in a good spot and rarely moved it.

I suspect that this new Wing mechanism WILL have more failures over time because it goes up and down automatically when the bike powers on and off, depending on what position you left it in of course.
And I think the Wing Standard owners will have the MOST trouble in the long run due to them raising and lowering that small windshield every time they ride.

My solution was to buy a 22 inch tall shield (stock is 20 inch) that I never have to adjust, except maybe in a severe storm.
Adjusting the shield on the freeway with 80 mph winds pushing on the windshield mechanism will probably make it fail that much faster.
I hope that Honda learned from the many ST1300 mechanism failures, but only time will tell.
Jefro.
I couldn't agree more. The last paragraph is spot on. In 14 years of observations on my ST1300 I noticed many aftermarket screens that were much bigger had problems. My stock shield was running fine at 130K when I traded the bike in. The key here is try not to adjust the windscreen all the time, especially at speed. Slow down to make an adjustment then resume. On a good note the windscreen Adjuster Assy. is only just above $308.00, where it was north of $500.00 on the ST1300.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same issue happening here from time to time

i have to switch bike on and off to get working again !!
Sounds like your bike has the same bug as mine. Roughly how many times has this happened to you in how many miles?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
It's a feature to have the windshield remind you of the issues with the mechanically adjustable previous generation!

>:):wink2::serious::smile2:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it became more often lately , started at 2000 miles and now my bike is at 3000

really annoying thing , is this something covered by warranty
Don't know if covered by warranty, but I certainly would hope so. Would imagine one would have to ride in to a dealer with the shield "stuck", and demonstrate the problem to the dealer before turning bike off.

Since my initial post on this, have not had a recurrence of the problem. I.e., in 15,000 miles shield has only failed once

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you have a smart phone, take a video to show the dealer. Their service people will like that also as this type of thing never repeats at the dealers place of business.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've had zero issues with my windscreen in 4K miles, but I wonder how much work it would be to change out said gears if they do strip? Doesn't sound like it would be too big of a job to do? I'll have to peruse the service manual tonight to see how the Wing's mechanism works, I've not really looked at it closely yet, I've just enjoyed the benefits of actually having an electronically adjustable screen. :grin2:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

3 weeks later, “screen stuck phenomena” strikes again. Was leading a ride, love bugs were becoming a problem, tried to raise my screen and it was stuck. No convenient place to stop so just sucked it up while my glasses and helmet got bombarded.

Has anyone who has also had this problem taken bike in to dealer for warranty fix? Guess next time this happens I will have to either drive to dealer with screen stuck and show them the problem (before turning bike off), or try and take a video to demonstrate the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
3 weeks later, “screen stuck phenomena” strikes again. Was leading a ride, love bugs were becoming a problem, tried to raise my screen and it was stuck. No convenient place to stop so just sucked it up while my glasses and helmet got bombarded.

Has anyone who has also had this problem taken bike in to dealer for warranty fix? Guess next time this happens I will have to either drive to dealer with screen stuck and show them the problem (before turning bike off), or try and take a video to demonstrate the problem.

i have noticed that when i do not hook up the bluetooth on my Android phone , the screen never stuck.

i am running APPLE lately on the cable and things seems fine, not sure if this has anything to do with it. but there is a possibility of system jam

which system are you running? or are you connecting to Bluetooth or via cable?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have noticed that when i do not hook up the bluetooth on my Android phone , the screen never stuck.

i am running APPLE lately on the cable and things seems fine, not sure if this has anything to do with it. but there is a possibility of system jam

which system are you running? or are you connecting to Bluetooth or via cable?
Interesting, think you may have found something? I hook up my Iphone via Bluetooth. And the bluetooth connection often "drops out" for no reason. Can reinstate the bluetooth connection by either 1) turning off, and restarting bike or 2) going into phone and "pause, play" Pandora

And as previously stated, can "unlock" the windscreen by turning bike off/on.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
See, it's stuff like this that worries me for the future. All the hysteria about DCT longevity doesn't bother me, because I fully expect the main mechanical stuff to last forever on this bike. But it has so many electrical gizmos that I have no doubt in another 5 years I'll be riding the bike with the screen stuck in one position, a blown speaker, CarPlay incompatible with some new entirely wireless iPhone, scroll wheel broken......

That'll be the annoying stuff that happens to the bike over time I'll bet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the DCT one big electric gizmo? I mean, paddle shift, automatic shift, different modes?... isn't that all electric, computerized, various electrical sensors stuff??? It's more than just gears on gears I gather....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the DCT one big electric gizmo? I mean, paddle shift, automatic shift, different modes?... isn't that all electric, computerized, various electrical sensors stuff??? It's more than just gears on gears I gather....
You are not, but the DCT is a major part of the functioning of the bike. It is also something that many are nervous of being 'too complicated'... thus, I have no doubt Honda spent a huge amount of money developing and testing it. Did they spend as much on the electric windscreen system? I would guess not.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,575 Posts
I've had zero issues with my windscreen in 4K miles, but I wonder how much work it would be to change out said gears if they do strip? Doesn't sound like it would be too big of a job to do? I'll have to peruse the service manual tonight to see how the Wing's mechanism works, I've not really looked at it closely yet, I've just enjoyed the benefits of actually having an electronically adjustable screen. :grin2:
Looks like you have to buy the entire adjustor assembly....308 dollars from Partzilla. I don't have a service manual but I wonder if you are suppose to lube the cables in the assembly from time to time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts