GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a lead for some Gerbings and I plan to use an electrical accessory power block and I want it on a relay so it's off with the ignition although I plan to wire in an on off switch. I'm a novice on the electrical side so I'd appreciate any advice - i.e. powering the relay so it's off with the ignition - where do I tap in to a power source? It's a 2004 gl1800. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Had same situation on my 2006.If you look at the top left hand corner of your Wings fuse box,there are 2 screws,positive and negative.Hook up to these and your acces will turn on and off with the key.Good luck.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
razwrld said:
Had same situation on my 2006.If you look at the top left hand corner of your Wings fuse box,there are 2 screws,positive and negative.Hook up to these and your acces will turn on and off with the key.Good luck.
razwrld,

Just so you know...the connection, that you mentioned, is fused at only 5 amps. I wouldn't try to use Gerbing's at any less than 15 amps...identify the total amps expected to be used by the Gerbing's you plan to hook up...Jacket Liner (6.4 amps), Pants Liner (4.5 amps), Gloves (2.2 amps)...as you can see...it adds up quick...

moby1800 said:
I'm going to install a lead for some Gerbings and I plan to use an electrical accessory power block and I want it on a relay so it's off with the ignition although I plan to wire in an on off switch. I'm a novice on the electrical side so I'd appreciate any advice - i.e. powering the relay so it's off with the ignition - where do I tap in to a power source? It's a 2004 gl1800. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.
moby1800,

If I were to do this, I would use the EC "Power Plate" Power Distribution for this and your other accessories...check it out here...

:click: http://www.electricalconnection.com/pow ... bution.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using a distribution block that doesn't have a relay. What's the sequence I should wire off the battery? Relay, block, switch (I want to have an on/off rocker for the Gerbings without using the regulator - maybe I'm making this too complicated?) Wouldn't the relay be "always on" if I wire directly to the battery?

·
Registered
27 Posts
moby1800,

The first question is do you want the distribution block off when the key is turned off? If yes continue this way:
1). Use the Aux fuse on your Fuse Box as described by razwrld.
2). Wire from the Plus side to one side of the coil for the Relay.
3). Wire the other side of the coil to ground. (If I remember right there is also a negative conection in the Aux area of the fuse box.
4). Wire from Positive side of battery to Normally Open contact on the Relay. (Note there are usually multiple contacts.)
5). Wire from the Common for the Contacts you have selected to the distribution block main power.(Note this is what is called the Wiper Arm of the contact. The arm that will move when power is applied to the relay coil.)

This will get you distribution box powered only when the Key is on. Also do not forget that you will need a main power fuse and a fuse for each deviced wired to the distribution box.

Not sure why you want an on/off switch for the Gerbing - If they have a thermostat then there should be an off position on it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
power

EC has a nice unit that is operated by a relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts