GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to route power from my aux power panel to my sat radio which is powered via a cable which has a cigarette adapter.

I was told to put a positive wire at the tip and the negative which comes from the two flanges on the sides of the cig adapter.

I soldered a wire to the tip connection and one to the two flange point.

I have tested my positive wire with a trouble light and I am getting power but my radio does not indicate it is receiving power.

I even tested the cord at the radio end which plugs into a docking station for AC. Using the test light, it was "hot" as the light came on.

So it seems my problem is with the ground wire. I have to ground wire running back to a common ground block off my battery.

Still the cig adapter led light is not lit and I am obviously not getting power to the docking station?

What am I doing wrong?

HELP

·
Registered
868 Posts
The cig adapter could have a fuse in it. See if the tip screws off. A fuse is located (in some but not all) in the inside. If could be blown.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cig adapter

I removed the fuse, spring, silver tip and cap and wired my positive electrical wire to the point where the fuse was located.

When I test the wire which is attached to the circuit board in the adapter, I get a light on my electrical tester

I also get a light when I test the jack that plugs into my docking station.

So now what?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Always remember that electrons follow the path of least resistance........... 8)

·
Registered
243 Posts
When you tested the adapter end where did you connect the leads? Hot to tip ground to outside of tip (female) If you show power with the leads this way the fuse is good. If you show power at the tip at all the fuse should be good.

Double check where you have made connections, If you have power at the tip the LED on the adapter should be lit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adapter

OK, I unscrewed the end of the cig adapter and removed the cap, spring, fuse and chrome button.

Where the fuse was snapped in, I soldered a wire (with and inline fuse holder) for positive. That same wire runs to my switched power panel coming off the battery. when I test the point where I soldered the wire, I get a light on my test light.

When I test the "inside" of the plug that plugs into the sat radio docking station, I get a "test light"

I soldered the negative to the center point of the two flanges (which should be negative). That has a wire running back to a central ground.

The LED does NOT light and I do not see the power symbol on my radio when it is attached to the docking station indicating it is running on battery only.

·
Registered
243 Posts
connect the light to the inside of the tip and work your way backwards down the GROUND line until you light up - Tip, neg at adapter, any other connection between tip and battery. When it lites you now know where to look for the the bad connection.

You might have a cold solder at the adapter plug.

Rick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try shooting the trouble using these two steps. First put the wire from your test light on the same point where your cig lighter is grounded and test all points from the center of the cig lighter outlet all the way back to the battery if necessary. If you get a light at the center of the cig outlet your positive lead is OK. Next clip your test light wire to the point where your cig outlet is connected to the positive output of the battery. This time you are looking for ground starting at the cig outlet and work back toward the battery. If you get a light at the cig outlet then you have a good ground at the outlet. If this doesn't work post where you live so one of use can come over and help.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK here is where I am

I spoke to Terry (Alabama IronButt) and he told me I two things:

1. The cig adapter is for power reduction from 12 volt to probably 9 volt for the radio

2. He said if it does not light (LED that is) then I might be passing 12 volts directly to the radio and fry the charging circuit. I tested the radio in the house and the "battery icon" shows a plus sign using the house docking station which means it still is charging. (so the radio is OK)

Alabama IronButt told me that I probably fried the circuit board in the cig adapter. So he suggested that I go to Radio Shack and get the "female" end of a cig adapter and wire it to my power and ground source on the bike. The using the OTHER good cig adapter I have, plug it into the female end and it should do what I need it to do.

Sound like a plan?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Powerplug

I have found that some lighter plugs have only one side of the two clips for the ground is actually connected. You probably find if you connect the ground to the other ground clip it will work. Hope I managed to explain that properly

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Two suggestions.......get some connectors from EC and cut off that horrid cigarette plug and hookup the connectors that go straight to the Honda's 12vdc connector in the left fairing pocket....(or wherever else you find one)

Also......is your radio 12v or 6v?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
What Fred1800 said, most only use one side of the plug.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Electrical Issues

:D

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.....you all are great!!!! I ended up going to Radio Shack and purchasing the receptacle for the cig adapter and wiring it in place. It works fine.

I was told that Cycle Gadgets sells a cable with a built in transformer that will reduce the power from 12Volts to the much needed nine for my radio.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts