GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am trying to install this kit and am not having any fun! The instructions say to remove the triple tree cover and open the harness. Which harness? I can't find a harness that has the referenced 2, three pin connectors. Can someone help a poor lost soul with cold hands?

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I have never installed the EC grip heater kit, but my guess is that they are talking about the two 3 pin connectors on the right side under the right fairing pocket. One is just under the speaker and the other is just under the right pocket.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think we are referring to opening up our harness that comes with the grip kit....it creates the two 3 pin connectors for the grip heaters to plug into.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right. After backing away from the project and having a couple of beers, I realized the truth of the matter. The harness referred to is the one in the kit.
Poorly written indirections!
It would also have been nice if you would have TOLD the installer (me) there were spacers under the triple tree cover. Lost one. Damn. Luckily I had some spacer material to fabricate a replacement. God knows where the OEM spacer disappeared to.
Quality instructions are part and parcel with quality products.
I hope the quality of the product exceeds the quality of the instructions.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Jabba said:
You're right. After backing away from the project and having a couple of beers, I realized the truth of the matter. The harness referred to is the one in the kit.
Poorly written indirections!
It would also have been nice if you would have TOLD the installer (me) there were spacers under the triple tree cover. Lost one. Damn. Luckily I had some spacer material to fabricate a replacement. God knows where the OEM spacer disappeared to.
Quality instructions are part and parcel with quality products.
I hope the quality of the product exceeds the quality of the instructions.
What year and level is your bike? Never seen a spacer there before. Are you the first owner? I'll certainly review the install instructions, and please don't take this personally, but we have sold 500+ kits and had not had an issue to this point. If the instructions are misworded, I apologize and will correct it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Lewis,

Seems like I put spacers under the cover when I installed risers. Maybe that's what was under there.

Just a guess! :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
When I first installed the cheapo wedge-style risers, they came with nylon spacers.

When I upgraded to the Reg Risers, they included metal spacers (SS or Al, I can't remember)

I just checked the service manual & I don't see any spacers shown under the triple-tree cover.

Send me your installation document, Lewis and I'll 'Jabba-proof' it for you :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Jon - Metal Spacers? Is that tech talk for crush washers?........ :lol: :lol: :duck:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just put in E/C heated grips on my o6 . I didn't see anything under the cover like a spacer . The grips work great .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, you're right. Perhaps I need to be Jabba proofed too. One of the posts reminded me, Reg Risers. Spacers. Oops. Sorry. The instructions could still use some fine tuning though. Just in case there are more like me out there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had to read the instructions a couple time when I installed mine. I remember that step messing me up too. Unfortunately, I'm use to very specific technical step-by-step procedures (nuclear power), so most of the time I have to read what comes with the parts a couple times to figure out exactly what's be directed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts