GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone is having whine noise with the adapter? I received one in May and it had the Whine noise while going through the gears so I returned it and just got the replacement 2 weeks ago and this one has a whine noise also. I wrote Louis at EC 2 times to see if there is a way to install a noise suppressor in the wire harness but have not gotten a reply. I like the unit and if anyone knows a way to fix the noise please let me know.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
99% sure this is a ground issue on your bike, check all the grounds, the one's on the battery also, troubleshooted a friends last week and his was just the battery ground was a little loose, there is also a ground in the trunk and one by the oil dipstick, be careful with this one as you can break it very easily, the unit from EC uses the bikes wring and grounds so a GLI would probably not do you any good. CHECK THE GROUNDS

GOOD:doorag: LUCK

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99% sure this is a ground issue on your bike, check all the grounds, the one's on the battery also, troubleshooted a friends last week and his was just the battery ground was a little loose, there is also a ground in the trunk and one by the oil dipstick, be careful with this one as you can break it very easily, the unit from EC uses the bikes wring and grounds so a GLI would probably not do you any good. CHECK THE GROUNDS

GOOD:doorag: LUCK
Cleaned all grounds and still have the noise I guess I will just have to live with it unless someone else has any tips.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
CAll EC get a GROUND LOOP ISSOLATER

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm having the same trouble too with a whine. It also comes through the radio since I hooked up the Ipod controller.
I haven't contacted EC but I will after the weekend.:agree:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having the same trouble too with a whine. It also comes through the radio since I hooked up the Ipod controller.
I haven't contacted EC but I will after the weekend.:agree:
I got one in May and the whine was so bad I couldn't use it so I sent it back and it took 3 months to get a replacement and this one is not as bad but it does whine through the radio also when it is plugged in. I e-mailed Louis two times at EC but no replay and I talked to Phil and he said Louis is the one to talk to about it and he wasn't in. I think it could be fixed with a filter but we need to know where to install it.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Can I ask where you have the unit installed and where you have the cable to the iPod running maybe I can make some suggestions

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I ask where you have the unit installed and where you have the cable to the iPod running maybe I can make some suggestions
I have the unit in the CD compartment and the IPOD in the left front pocket. I had the Soundgate before this one that sounded great but it would lock up 3 or 4 times a week.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I have the unit in the CD compartment and the IPOD in the left front pocket. I had the Soundgate before this one that sounded great but it would lock up 3 or 4 times a week.
So I am assuming that you have the iPod cable running down the let side of the bike.

On the GL1800 as a rule power runs on the left of the bike and audio on the right lots of noise is picked up under the left pocket

Not sure which EC iPod unit you have there have been a few evolutions but if you can unplug the iPod cable from the unit or pull it back to the trunk I think you have power noise getting in form the power side of the bike

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I am assuming that you have the iPod cable running down the let side of the bike.

On the GL1800 as a rule power runs on the left of the bike and audio on the right lots of noise is picked up under the left pocket

Not sure which EC iPod unit you have there have been a few evolutions but if you can unplug the iPod cable from the unit or pull it back to the trunk I think you have power noise getting in form the power side of the bike
Thanks I will try that I have a extra cable from the replacement they sent me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't think that will work. I have the Ipod unit, cable and Ipod in the trunk and it whines.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did anyone ever get a answer for this fix?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I will be following this post also, I ordered one for my wife bike, hasn't came in yet. I hop the problem has been solved.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
A lot of folks around here think the sun rises and sets on EC.
Several years ago, I bought a power/audio connector for my XM radio. It had a whine. EC told me I needed a ground loop isolator. Fine another expense. After a year, it quit working. I checked fuses, and connections. After sending it all back to EC they said I needed a new hook up. No warranty no nothing other than I needed to spend more money to replace what I already had. No thanks. EC is off my list.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
On the first gen version, it worked great with the exception of power drain. We solved that with new circuitry. When Apple changed the software, we made changes to keep up. Because we don't sell thousands, we could not continue on that platform.

We switched the partner that we were working with. Great until Apple made more changes. We made changes to keep up again. Then a supplier had issues with a component and we released a batch that created alternator whine in some installations. When it was discovered, we asked anyone to return the unit that had an issue and we swapped out parts to resolve the issue. With the exception of 2 that I'm aware of, we were able to solve the problem. It just seems that a small handful of bikes have compatibility issues. One in Canada and the other in North Carolina.

To The Captain - I'm sorry that we were unable to make you a satisfied customer. We, like any other manufacturer, put in place a warranty policy. In electronics, most give 6 months - we give a year. If you are within a reasonable window, we work with most. We run into a large number of folks that say 'I've had this less than a year". When we pull it up, we find in most cases (on average) it's been over 2. I hate to admit it but I lose timelines on when I've bought items too. While I don't have the specifics of The Captain, we honor our warranty. That's all I can say. I realize we won't work out for everyone...it's just how it is.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
On the first gen version, it worked great with the exception of power drain. We solved that with new circuitry. When Apple changed the software, we made changes to keep up. Because we don't sell thousands, we could not continue on that platform.

We switched the partner that we were working with. Great until Apple made more changes. We made changes to keep up again. Then a supplier had issues with a component and we released a batch that created alternator whine in some installations. When it was discovered, we asked anyone to return the unit that had an issue and we swapped out parts to resolve the issue. With the exception of 2 that I'm aware of, we were able to solve the problem. It just seems that a small handful of bikes have compatibility issues. One in Canada and the other in North Carolina.

To The Captain - I'm sorry that we were unable to make you a satisfied customer. We, like any other manufacturer, put in place a warranty policy. In electronics, most give 6 months - we give a year. If you are within a reasonable window, we work with most. We run into a large number of folks that say 'I've had this less than a year". When we pull it up, we find in most cases (on average) it's been over 2. I hate to admit it but I lose timelines on when I've bought items too. While I don't have the specifics of The Captain, we honor our warranty. That's all I can say. I realize we won't work out for everyone...it's just how it is.
You're sorry now that I have put it on the web. Back when the problem came about, you didn't give two hoots about it. Sorry Lewis. Too little too late.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I said that I was sorry I was unable to make you a satisfied customer....and I meant it. If you were beyond your one year, there is no more warranty...it's that simple. Honda doesn't give any extensions. Neither does Ford, GM, Dell, Samsung or any other company. If you had been within the one year, you would have gotten warranty service. You obviously were not and you had an expectation of us that we were unable to meet based off our policy.

You have every right as a dis-satisfied customer to come on here and say what you want to say. I know that I can't make everyone happy. It's just the way it is.

Lewis

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I realize that this thread needs to die, but am curious.
Captain, are you saying you called during the one year warranty period and got no help?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts