GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I had my 2004 Wing, I visited EC and Lewis installed several of his "goodies". I was very pleased with his work. Now that I've got a 2012 Wing, I'll be doing the same thing again. Two questions.

One, EC has a heated seat amplifier. https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/honda-gl1800-heated-seat-amplifier/ I've never had a heated seat before, so don't really know what to expect. And am not yet riding the 2012 due to the weather. It's probably personal preference, but is a heated seat amplifier a good thing? Is it necessary? Is it worth the $45?

Two, what other EC items would you suggest? On my 2004 I liked Lewis' wiring of my fog lights to stay on when the high beams were turned on (not on their website). I also liked when he wired the 4-way flashers to be able to be turned on without the key on when a toggle switch hidden in the glove compartment was flipped (not on their website). Being a non-technical guy, and being quite a distance from EC, I'd like to visit just once and get ALL the items EC has that make sense. (Again, a lot of this is personal preference). https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/brand/honda/honda-gl1800-2012-2017/

Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have EC fog lights on my 2012 and they stay on with the Hi Beams.

I do not think you need the heated seat amplifier. I turn mine on high to warm things up, and then it is on low all the time when I need it on. I ride in the 30's and 40's.

I added a LED trunk light and a USB port for charging my phone or tablet in the top trunk lid. The USB only works when the bike is running so it will not drain the battery.

I also have the digital volt meter that is behind the left speaker grill. This will let you know if the Alternator is not doing it's job.

Not sure if you will be towing a trailer or not. I have the EC trailer isolator and wire kit also.

Like you said, it will just depend on what extras you like and will make your ride more enjoyable. EC makes some great quality products that they stand by.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I can recommend the LED head lights for both Low and High beams. Volt meter (in blue of course). Roundel illumination kit, have him change the amber color to blue.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have EC fog lights on my 2012 and they stay on with the Hi Beams.

I do not think you need the heated seat amplifier. I turn mine on high to warm things up, and then it is on low all the time when I need it on. I ride in the 30's and 40's.

I added a LED trunk light and a USB port for charging my phone or tablet in the top trunk lid. The USB only works when the bike is running so it will not drain the battery.

I also have the digital volt meter that is behind the left speaker grill. This will let you know if the Alternator is not doing it's job.

Not sure if you will be towing a trailer or not.
Thanks for the feedback Dan. I have LED lights and fogs, with a modulator on the headlights (first time for that). I'm especially concerned when using the modulator, running the high beams off and on and off and on and so on.

I've never really had a cold behind, so I wondered about the value of the heated seat amplifier. When I use my car seat warmer I keep it on low. I'll get a better feel for the seat heat once I start riding the bike.

On my want list is an LED trunk light.

I had a volt meter on my 2004. Rarely referred to it, but it was there if needed. Was wondering if the digital volt meter might be distracting.

Not sure if I'll be towing a trailer, but the bike has a vertical hitch and wiring.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have EC LED headlight bulbs and ground loop isolator, and Multivex mirrors (no longer available) on mine from EC... All very worthwhile especially the LED headlights... Love the Multivex mirrors too - been driving with them since 1993 (had them on my 1500 too)...

Don't have the seat amplifier but I have a Diamond custom seat on my 2009 and the Diamond is hotter than stock when purchased... I would add the seat amplifier if it were my ride...

Les

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Paul, Honda change the wiring/control to the heated seats from what was used on the early heated seats.

Based on difference between the performance of the '08 and the 14's that we had, I can't imagine that you will need to the wiring mod on the 2012 you're getting.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, Honda change the wiring/control to the heated seats from what was used on the early heated seats.

Based on difference between the performance of the '08 and the 14's that we had, I can't imagine that you will need to the wiring mod on the 2012 you're getting.
Thanks FG

·
Registered
711 Posts
That voltmeter mounted in the speaker grille sounds interesting. Would you post a pic of it? TIA. I'm still mentally wrestling with where to put my combo voltmeter/dual USB device.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That voltmeter mounted in the speaker grille sounds interesting. Would you post a pic of it? TIA. I'm still mentally wrestling with where to put my combo voltmeter/dual USB device.
Pic from the EC website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts