GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a EC digital volt meter for the '08 late last year. Hooked it up...and love it....BUT.....yesterday I did some other work on the wing and in order to do so, I had to remove the shelter. With that comes all the disconnect that you have to do. I went to disconnect the volt meter harness (and no, I dont pull on the wires to do so)...but 3 of the wires popped out from their connection. I love EC's product..I really do. This is literally the second time I have bought something from them and had a connection point issue with something wire wise..disconnecting on me. The first time around...they sent me a new harness after I sent them pictures. This time around...I know its something that can be fixed but all things electrical tend to confuse me a bit (if there is some sort of issue that is). Back to the volt meter issue. 3 of the wires popped out....and me not being the best at all things wiring and not paying attention....I am not 100% where 2 of them go (the 3rd wire I got back in place).

I can add a couple of pictures...but can anyone help with where the wires go? I dont want to call EC if I dont have to. Yes, I think they should send a new harness back to me...but if I can fix it, I have no probs doing so.

CAn anyone help?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So to add a picture.....
The 2 loose wires head up to the volt meter. The white connect on the right goes to power on the bike. The left white connect goes to the red connect (which powers my 12v connect in the glove box. I think I know the answer to my problem, but i dont want to fry anything. The 2 loose wires...do they go in with the other 2 wires that go into that left white connect? Basically doubling up that connection point with 4 wires?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
From your pic and description, what you say makes sense.
I agree with your statement that the loose wires are ganged together with the wire harness coming out of the left connector.
The loose red wire with black stripe is your negative wire, which gets ganged to the solid black wire.
The loose solid red wire obviously goes to solid red wire.
If you can't get the loose wires back into the harnesses, you could splice them onto the wires between the harnesses, using various methods.
You could use posi-taps, solder, or small blue marettes.
Those wires carry minuscule amounts of current.
Their function is to sample the voltage from the bike's 12V glove box connect, and send that voltage signal up to the voltmeter.
Check youtube for videos on posi-taps and marettes (wire nuts).
If you are a neophyte with electrical, I don't recommend you try soldering without practice first.

BTW, IMHO, the design of that connector having 2 wires leave the harness like that is just a cheap bandaid way to save money.
Those are guaranteed to eventually fail. There are much better ways to split single wires into duplex.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Do not have answer to your question, but for what it is worth, I have had similar issues with products from EC, had several wires pull loose from contacts due to improper crimping techniques. I do a lot of work like that, if I do not have the correct crimper I solder the connection after crimping. Just to be sure I have a good mechanical connection , I always do a pull test on the joint after installation to make sure it is secure, seems that is not always the process at EC.
I would not hesitate to contact Lewis and ask for help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do not have answer to your question, but for what it is worth, I have had similar issues with products from EC, had several wires pull loose from contacts due to improper crimping techniques. I do a lot of work like that, if I do not have the correct crimper I solder the connection after crimping. Just to be sure I have a good mechanical connection , I always do a pull test on the joint after installation to make sure it is secure, seems that is not always the process at EC.
I would not hesitate to contact Lewis and ask for help.

I actually posted the question on a Goldwing FB group page and Lewis responded. He told me to send them back and they would fix it. I think he thought I probably pulled the wires out. If I did, I would admit to it in a heartbeat. I screw up quite a bit. I basically just disconnected the volt meter and the wires were loose. Even if I did pull them out, I am quite sure I would have not pulled out the 3 I mentioned. Anyways...Nice of him to offer to fix...but I ended up fixing it myself. I just made a new harness from scratch. Though...being that I dont know tons...I did mimic what was given to me and I 'doubled up' on the wires in one connection. I may go back and revisit the connection and attempt something a bit better. I am still in the learning stages of all things electrical. Sort of learning as I go.What I made seemed secure, but I am sure it could be done much better.
I dont want to sound like I am bashing EC because I really do love their products but this is literally the second time I had a 'wire not secure' issue with one of their products.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I dont want to sound like I am bashing EC because I really do love their products but this is literally the second time I had a 'wire not secure' issue with one of their products.
Nor am I trying to bash EC, they make a lot of good products, I have made my share of bad crimps, but a simple tug test on the inserted contact will tell you if you have a good mechanical connection or not. Just passing on some real life experiences.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nor am I trying to bash EC, they make a lot of good products, I have made my share of bad crimps, but a simple tug test on the inserted contact will tell you if you have a good mechanical connection or not. Just passing on some real life experiences.
I will take any advice I can get

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ditto on the EC voltmeter. Mine was intermittent from the start and then completely crapped out. A buddy also had one that failed and i think he got a replacement from them. I have a led version ofthe 2" round voltmeter in my amazon cart ready to buy.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds like a QC problem with the supplier, either the part to EC, or the person at EC doing the work. I'd go back to them with the problem you purchased; it's only right to do so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am pretty sure they are aware of the issue. That being said, I have bought other items from EC with good results and have also used the tech support which was great. Just me but I am guessing they do not manufacture these but buy them from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have such great products and I am sure I will continue to buy from them.......but the wiring, in my experience has been shotty.
I could have sent my part back but I didnt want to wait for it. I wanted to get the ole bike back together. So I just corrected the problem. I am by no means anything great at wiring..crimping..or anything else electrical....but upon giving my fix a few tugs..nothing pulled out of their connection points.
They do have great customer service. Products are awesome. I dont want to take any from any of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts