GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Electrical Connection fog lights on my bike and they keep popping fuses. It started after it sat overnight in a rain storm (oops!) I inspected most of the wiring and haven't found any frayed wiring and will look at the rest tomorrow for some kind of short circut. I took the chin fairing off and the fuse didn't pop, but as soon as I mounted it back on, it blew, so its can't be the relay. I'm kind of at my wits end with extra lighting, it seems I always have problems. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Sounds like you pinched a wire somewhere.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
18,416 Posts
It sounds like your power wire is grounding some where. That means it needs to be located, repaired, and the routing corrected. If you don't have the skill or knowledge to find and repair it, another option is to just replace the wire or loom to correct it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
It always takes a long time to find a simple problem.

If bad connections, frayed or pinched wiring, or faulty components are not obvious, then you must methodically work your way from the lights back to the switch.

I would eliminate one light from the circuit. Inspect the quality of the electrical connection between the light and the connector, inspect the wiring going into the connector, tug on the connector and wire to see the strength of the mechanical connection. If the bike sat in a howling rain, crud in the connections could easily be the problem. Use a spray electrical connection cleaner on the connector. Energize the circuit and see if the circuit still blows.
If it does, reattach that light and repeat the process on the other light.
If the circuit still blows then you know it's in the wiring harness, relay, or switch.
The point is, take your time and methodically trace the circuit back. If the problem is intermittent, as it appears to be with the cowling off, then your determination at problem solving will be sorely tested.

When you find the source of the problem, it will be a simple fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I would start with removing the bulbs and seeing if the insulation on the bulb pigtail is missing / burned off.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top