GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Wing, bought new, now with 87,000 miles. Accessories are Kennedy hook up for FSR radio. No CD, CB, or any other electrical device except the EC trailer isolator harness.

I have pulled an 2007 Aspen Classic, with brakes, since new with no issues.

On my trip last week to Colorado I had an issue twice. The cruise control would disengage and both turn indicator lights would illuminate at about half of normal light. I do not know if the turn signals were also on as I couldn't see them but my BIL stated the trailer turn lights were on.

If I turned on a turn signal then cancelled it they would go off and the cruise would work again.

I have searched both boards without any luck. Any ideas where to start? I am thinking a relay?

TechDude, HELP!

Thanks for any input, as long as it is intended to be helpful.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You've got a grounding issue. Don't know exactly where to start looking, but Techdude will... Probably under the tank where the bundle of ground wires bolts to the frame. Hope you find it easily.

:thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,475 Posts
2005 Wing, bought new, now with 87,000 miles. Accessories are Kennedy hook up for FSR radio. No CD, CB, or any other electrical device except the EC trailer isolator harness.

I have pulled an 2007 Aspen Classic, with brakes, since new with no issues.

On my trip last week to Colorado I had an issue twice. The cruise control would disengage and both turn indicator lights would illuminate at about half of normal light. I do not know if the turn signals were also on as I couldn't see them but my BIL stated the trailer turn lights were on.

If I turned on a turn signal then cancelled it they would go off and the cruise would work again.

I have searched both boards without any luck. Any ideas where to start? I am thinking a relay?

TechDude, HELP!

Thanks for any input, as long as it is intended to be helpful.
This is most likely the green ground wire connection at C15 under the seat. The best way to fix it will be to jumper a new wire across the connector, bypassing the loose fitting pins. Make sure you have the correct connector, there's two of them under there, you want the one that has 14 wires running through it, not the one with only 12 wires. Here is a pic from the manual and one courtesy of Waldo.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million to both. I will tear into it tomorrow and let you know what I found.

This board still has some usefulness!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Grounded?

I had almost exactly the symptoms you describe on my '04 with an Aspen Classic in tow. The connector under the seat was the problem. Rather than jump across it, I ran a wire from it to the frame (had more room, was able to use a piece of wire I had on hand that was larger than the connector wires). Problem solved - only took a few minutes. A wise and kind GL1500 rider in the campground showed me where to look.
I enjoy your posts and pics. Hope it's an easy fix.

Shiv

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I pulled the seat this afternoon and seperated the connector. The pin and sockets looked pretty good, no noticable corrosion but I cleaned them, applied silicone grease, and put on the jumper as instructed above. I had soldered and tightened the ground connectors under the tank years ago when I tightened all of the coolant hose clamps.

Time will tell if that was the problem.

Again, a big thanks to all who offered advise and help.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of miles since working on the issue last week. Knock on wood, no issues so far.

Thanks for the advice and help!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's BACK

OK, so DW and I went riding yesterday. The ground gremlin has returned even though I have the jumper across the connector under the seat.

As it is intermittent it is tough to diagnose but here are the current symptoms.

When I apply the brakes, the brake lights go out and all the turn signals light up.

When either turn signal is activated, everything flashes just like the emergency flashers would.

The turn signals will also cancel the cruise if it is set.

I am currently pouring over the wiring diagrams in the service manual but any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Were you pulling your trailer this time?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,475 Posts
OK, so DW and I went riding yesterday. The ground gremlin has returned even though I have the jumper across the connector under the seat.

As it is intermittent it is tough to diagnose but here are the current symptoms.

When I apply the brakes, the brake lights go out and all the turn signals light up.

When either turn signal is activated, everything flashes just like the emergency flashers would.

The turn signals will also cancel the cruise if it is set.

I am currently pouring over the wiring diagrams in the service manual but any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ok, just recently the same symptoms were on another bike and it turned out the green ground wire was broken somewhere in the harness from the C15 connector toward the G1 frame connection. A bypass wire from C15 to the battery ground at the reverse cables on the right side of the engine was the fix.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. I have completely removed the trailer harness and the issue is still present.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, just recently the same symptoms were on another bike and it turned out the green ground wire was broken somewhere in the harness from the C15 connector toward the G1 frame connection. A bypass wire from C15 to the battery ground at the reverse cables on the right side of the engine was the fix.
OK, since the bike is torn apart and laying all over the shop it was easy to put a temp jumper from the C15 bypass that I installed to the frame. With jumper everything appears normal, without gremlins are present.

I will effect a permanent jumper shortly.

Thanks a million. It is so nice to have hundreds of folks helping with problems!!!

TD2000, you are the greatest.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,475 Posts
OK, since the bike is torn apart and laying all over the shop it was easy to put a temp jumper from the C15 bypass that I installed to the frame. With jumper everything appears normal, without gremlins are present.

I will effect a permanent jumper shortly.

Thanks a million. It is so nice to have hundreds of folks helping with problems!!!

TD2000, you are the greatest.
Glad to help. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New ground jumper in and the bike is back together.

Going riding this afternoon!!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had this same issue crop up yesterday. Curious if your gremlins are gone Bipeflier?
Installed the permanent jumper as TD2000 suggested. Only have about 500 miles since then but everything seems OK.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Well I’ve had issues with this connector a few different times, the first time was about four years ago, that time I simply unplugged the connector and reached inside to slightly bend the little tab so it made better contact, after that it worked perfect for about 3 years.
last fall it started failing to work again so I was back in there bending that little tab again, eventually got it working properly again but it only lasted a few thousand miles and yesterday it quit working again. So this time I stripped a couple inches of insulation off a 16 gauge wire and cut off two little strands of wire, twisted them together to make one strand and then slipped them inside the connector where the green ground wires slip together, so far it’s working perfectly. I suspect with the extra wire in there now the ground is making better contact and hopefully it will keep working.
I think the ideal way to fix it would be to install new ends on those two green ground wires but that’s beyond my capability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts