GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay electrical wizards......... While riding in a parade tpday my volt meter showed 14-15 volts then would crash to nothing then go back to charging again. Did this off and on during the parade. Figured I would check the issue when I got home. We all stopped at Braums for a burger before going home. As I started home I noticed the tach, speedo, coolant and fuel gage dropped to nothing. The fuel was a slow drop to E. The clock was working but the trip meter never moved from 24.7 miles all the way home. The volt gage showed 16 in a cruise speed, dropped to 13-14 in town but never lost its charging as before in the parade. Turn signals worked but would not auto cancel, I had to manually cancel. Did not notice anything about the radio because I don't usually use it.
.NOW......If you electrical wizrds have any ideas on what my problem would be, please give me some direction to find the cause of this crazy event. Any help would be apprciated before I take it to the shop and spend millions of $$$$ on electrical diagnose.
I have a 2002 1800cc Trike conversion and have had it for a while with no previous issues like this............ HELP!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Clean the battery terminals and reattach them securely. Take a handheld voltmeter and compare the battery voltage to your bike mounted one.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
^^^what he said. When you tighten the terminals, don't use a screwdriver. Use a wrench or socket. If you have some other wires connected to the terminal, put a flat washer on the bolt and then the wire terminals....the washer will stop the wires from rotating when you tighten the bolt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery issues

Clean the battery terminals and reattach them securely. Take a handheld voltmeter and compare the battery voltage to your bike mounted one.

Since my post I was admitted to VA hospital..........when I get out I will try your suggestions
Thank you for your experience

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Since my post I was admitted to VA hospital..........when I get out I will try your suggestions
Thank you for your experience
I hope you get well soon. I'm dreading my trip to the Dallas VA on the 19th of November.

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
I hope you get well quickly too.

As for you electrical issue, I'd also have the battery tested. If nothing is found with the connections or battery, test your alternator. It is not suppost to charge that high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery issues

I hope you get well quickly too.

As for you electrical issue, I'd also have the battery tested. If nothing is found with the connections or battery, test your alternator. It is not suppost to charge that high.
Thank you as soon as I get my strength back up I will do that, right now I can't ride anyway with my legs weak ................ Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VA visits

I hope get well soon. I'm dreading my trip to the Dallas VA on the 19th of November.
They got me back up to half way walking .. Dehydration, very low blood pressure, high blood sugar and no strength in llegs put me down. Wife had to help me to the car to drive to ER in Fayetteville AR. Back home but still weak.
Hope your trip is positive, never been to Dallas VA I do like the AR one though, well not so much Little Rock

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
We're missing you up here is Springfield Keith! Get well soon and tell Marilyn if she needs anything to NOT hesitate to call!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts