GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else replaced the tiny electrical connection inside the steering stem ???

I'm talking about the very tiny "EL CHEAPO" pale green connector inside the steering head. The one you must disconnect to replace the steering bearings. It seems so pathetically poorly designed IMHO. Right now my speedometer doesn't register and the turn signals don't self cancel ... also my FI light gives me a signal that the speedometer is inoperative. I've checked other connections and I believe this one to be the problem. Rather than "fix" the connection I'm thinking of just replacing the whole thing ... both ends ...

I've found the parts I'd need in the Honda parts manual under "STEERING STEM" and it looks as if it might not be too difficult ... I'll have to call a dealer about price ... or check here with Hal ...

Further suggestions ???

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked up the parts ... upper wire is only $8.00 ... cancel unit (lower portion) is $133 !!! YIKES !!!:eek:4:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just looked up the parts ... upper wire is only $8.00 ... cancel unit (lower portion) is $133 !!! YIKES !!!:eek:4:
Just a thought, but for the cost of the lower unit, I'd probably just use stainless butt connectors. I use them for dual sport conversions and they work great.

I buttered up mine a little getting it apart, but it still works fine...I know where you're coming from.

Let me know if you want to go the connector route.

Russ

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
If I had problems with it, I would probably be inclined to cut if off and replace it with a mini-molex connector, although they aren't as waterproof as the one Honda uses.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210484

Another option would be just to cut it out and solder and heat shrink the wires back together. It's not like you have to remove the steering stem every week anyway. If you need to pull the steering stem out, just cut the wires and re-solder them.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
That connector, no matter how cheap, is not the source of your problem. You need to check the speed sensor and it's associated wiring down the right side of the engine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That connector, no matter how cheap, is not the source of your problem. You need to check the speed sensor and it's associated wiring down the right side of the engine.
I'm sure you're probably correct. I've just had so many bikes that use a speed sensor in conjunction with a steering sensor and other sensors (bank angle, etc.) to cancel the turn signals. It seemed like just that one connector could cause all of those problems.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Tech dude has a good point. The speedo signal passed to the cancel unit should not affect any other systems on the bike other than the turn signals, UNLESS it is somehow shorted to ground. However, I think that possiblility is fairly remote.

The problem Cgent is having is probably because of a different connector that the speedo signal is running though. My guess is that he still has a problem with the one under the right side air duct behind the lower air vent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts