GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has me stumped.

I'm trying to hook up a 12 volt accessory outlet inside the left fairing box on my 2002 Goldwing so I can plug in my GPS. Previous owner installed the 3-switch block that sits ontop of the fluid reservoir for the front brake.

I don't know why it's not working. Here's how the bike's set up:

• Red wire is attached to the accessory (+) screw inside the little rectangle box of fuses that's located in front of the battery. This wire snakes it's way to the connection for the handlebar switchbox wire.
  • A yellow wire (3rd switch hot wire) comes out of the switch box and snakes into the left fairing glove box.
  • A black ground wire is also in the glove box.
Here's what happens.

When I touch my 'cheap' multimeter to the yellow and black wires in the glove box, the meter reads 12 volts. I hooked up the accessory outlet and pluged in the GPS charger. The little red light on the charger does not light up. I pulled out the charger, and touched the multimeter probes carefully to the accessory outlet contact points. I get 12 volts on the meter.

The GPS charger works fine, I doubled checked it in my car.

Is it possible I'm getting a very weak 12 volts from the switch which trips the multimeter but not strong enough to power the GPS outlet?

Is it possibe the hot wire has a poor connection somewhere between the accessory block (next to the battery) and the final end of the wire in the glove box?

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Connect the socket to the ACC power plug in the boot just forward of the LH pocket (which is what it's there for). The connector is switched with the ACC circuit, so there's no advantage to running it through the accessory switch bank.

The Red connector is the 12V Acc plug.

In your situation, I would question the black ground wire - if you didn't install it, you don't know where it's connected to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Accessory plug

Thanks Jon, I was wondering what that red connector assembly was. I notice that there's 2 wires on that connector but neither of them is black. How do I know which one is the 'hot' wire in the red connector? I'm not sure how to check for that without blowing a fuse in the process (I'm really good at that!).

Thanks again,

Wayne

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The GPS charger just might not be a proper fit in the 12v socket. I've had some bad cellphone chargers in the past that wouldn't work in my cars 12v socket, and one even blew fuses.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks Jon, I was wondering what that red connector assembly was. I notice that there's 2 wires on that connector but neither of them is black. How do I know which one is the 'hot' wire in the red connector? I'm not sure how to check for that without blowing a fuse in the process (I'm really good at that!).

Thanks again,

Wayne
Use your multimeter, black lead to frame, red lead into 1 of the 2 wires, if it reads 0 or very near, then that one is ground, read the other, should be 12vdc or there abouts, the key must be on to get power there.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
... neither of them is black. How do I know which one is the 'hot' wire in the red connector? I'm not sure how to check for that without blowing a fuse in the process (I'm really good at that!)
You can't blow a fuse when testing for voltage with a digital meter... Just turn the key to the ACC position and put the negative lead on the darker Green connector (on the right side of this picture) and the positive lead on the left connector.

Your meter should read +12.6V or so...

This plug is fed through the 15A 'Audio/Acc' fuse, so don't connect any type of serious load to that plug (air compressor, heated clothing, etc.)

W

·
0 Posts
Use your multimeter, black lead to frame, red lead into 1 of the 2 wires, if it reads 0 or very near, then that one is ground, read the other, should be 12vdc or there abouts, the key must be on to get power there.
Not quite. You can use your multimeter to measure resistance (ohms) when checking for ground. If you connect it to the wire and the frame as you describe and it reads near zero ohms then that is ground (i.e. the frame and the wire are connected together at some point). Getting a zero reading when measuring for voltage merely means the wire doesn't have power. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a ground - it could be just a circuit that is not active.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts