GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched,but couldn't get beyond first page,no help.I want to install a switch to turn on fan on demand.I located the relay and it looks as though I could jump the blue/black wire and blue wire w/a switch.I also want to reverse the fan blades and wires.I saw some of this posted once,but like I said I can't get past the first page.My bike is all apart waiting for Traxxion to return forks and shock and figured this would be a good time to do this.I have no problem with the mechanics but not as good with electrical.especially where ECM's could be damaged I would really appreciate any help.....Thanks....Jim

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Jim,
A few comments to help you sort out what you want to do.
If you want to use a switch to turn on the fans put a switch on the
Brown/Red wire coming off the coil of the fan relay. Put a wire to
ground on the other side of the switch. Closing this switch will force
the relay to close and turn on the fans.
The fans can pull up to 20 amps and you don't want to run that much
current through a switch if you don't have to.
DC

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
electrical connection

Thanks for the response,that is what I want to do,beside reversing the fans.I think with the Baker wings I wouldn't notice much difference in percived hot air flo....Jim

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: electrical connection

Jim Ciampi said:
Thanks for the response,that is what I want to do,beside reversing the fans.I think with the Baker wings I wouldn't notice much difference in percived hot air flo....Jim
Come on Jim, anyone who has been around this board for as many years as you have,
obviously has a very high tolerance for being subjected to "HOT AIR"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Reversing the fans will have one adverse affect. At idle, the fan normally PULLS air in through the shroud and out the smaller opening for the fan. This causes air to flow over the entire radiator from rear to front. This air flow direction is what you want to reverse. When you reverse the fans, you PUSH the air from the small opening for the fan out of the larger opening for the radiator. The fan is very close to the radiator so the affect is to only PUSH air across the portion of the radiator just in front of the fan. At idle, you only use about 1/2 of the radiator. As soon as you start moving, you do use the rest of the radiator and all the air is flowing from front to back.

The net result is the bike will over heat sitting at idle. In DC, we idle a lot! I have not been able to test the bike under a long, 10 mph climb like I had in Colorado. In stop-and-go traffic, I can usually find times to pick up a little speed, shift into third, pull in the clutch, and use the kill switch to stop the engine. That gives the fluid in the radiator a chance to really cool down. If I can keep going, I simply let the clutch out and ride along for a while. If I do stop, I wait until traffic starts and tap the starter to get going again. At traffic lights, I shut the engine off if the walk signal shows more than about 15 seconds of wait time. I get tired of listening to the bike idle anyway.

The fans did not look like they had any curve to them so I could not see a reason to do anything other than reverse the wires. The wind from the fans is strong out of the sides of the cowling. I used pieces of tissue paper to see where air flow was going over the radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts