GL1800Riders Forums banner

Electrical Question - Fuse Box Accessory Terminals

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Bayrec 
#1 ·
I currently have a 2018 Goldwing Tour and have an external Garmin GPS installed and powered by the fuse box’s switched accessory terminals (screws). I would like to add a second accessory (heated clothing wire connection) to the same set of switched accessory terminals as the GPS. Is this possible, or will the power draw be too much for the single set of terminals? Thanks.

#3 ·
The ACC terminals are fused by a 10-Amp fuse (120-watts total).........

So, depending on your heated clothing load you might be OK.......your Garmin doesn't draw much in comparison.
The best way would be to wire in an external fuse block so you're ready for any additional accessories you might add in the future.

#6 ·
Consider adding an isolated system where you can connect all your accessories without worrying about what it may do to your system. The one I use is sold by Show Chrome. See picture. I have both driver and passenger heated clothing, a power port I added to the trunk and my running lights tied to this isolator. Also all my trailer hook ups and accessory lighting is attached to this unit.

You have two always "hot" ports, 3 keyed ports on one side and multiple ports for a trailer hook up or accessory lighting on the other. It works great.

Attachments

#5 ·
Check with your gear manufacturer for the exact numbers but jacket liners are usually around 6.5 and gloves are around 2. So that's 8.5 plus the Garmin. Gonna be close.

I would (actually I did) put the heated gear right on the battery. If you think you are going to be adding more stuff something like this would be a good idea.

https://wingstuff.com/products/38183-electronic-fuse-block-for-2018-gold-wing

#14 ·
You could purchase an accessory fuse block and turn it on an off with the Acc protected terminal and then for its main source of power come straight off the battery terminals. Then you can hook up your clothing, GPS or anything else. But, note and read your manual. My 2005 has a connector in the right side fairing pocket for heated gloves which I use for my GPS and OEM voltmeter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.