GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the fuse panel - ther are 2 screws (contacts) for auxiliary power.
Are they both '+' ? meaning that you can add 2 items and ground somewhere (battery?)
or
are they '+' and '-' ???

Thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
On my 06 one of the screws is " + " & the other is " - ".

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just checked my 2002 owners manual and it did not specify. It did say 5 amp max load. Also, sticking with convention, if one terminal is labeled with + then that means +12 Volts and the one lebeled with - implies a ground point.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The top one is positive and the lower one is negative. There is power at this connection with the key in the on or acc. position. Be sure to fuse any connections made to these terminals.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys!
I actually thought that it is fused already. As MotorcycleBoy also mentioned.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just don't exceed 5 amps on these terminals. Honda has put out a tech bulletin on this, so I have to believe there have been some associated problems with overloading these accessory terminals.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is 5 amp. enough for an Autocom?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use the switched accessory terminal to turn on a relay to control higher amp accessories. Doesn't burn up bike wiring that way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
icing777 said:
Is 5 amp. enough for an Autocom?

Yes with plenty spare headroom.

Nigel Fenton

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Yes, Nigel is right, the Autocom probably pulls less than an amp, even at full volume.

The positive accessory terminal is fused, but the negative terminal is not, and several folks have burned up part of the wiring harness by attaching a ground block to the negative accessory terminal lead and then hanging all kinds of grounds on it. They use a light gage wire for the leads to/from the accessory terminals, and they won't handle a lot of current.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Fred H. said:
Yes, Nigel is right, the Autocom probably pulls less than an amp, even at full volume.

The positive accessory terminal is fused, but the negative terminal is not, and several folks have burned up part of the wiring harness by attaching a ground block to the negative accessory terminal lead and then hanging all kinds of grounds on it. They use a light gage wire for the leads to/from the accessory terminals, and they won't handle a lot of current.
Good Point! I never even thought, until now. That someone might run the hot wire for thier new driving lights direct to the battery then connect the ground for these same lights to the negative side of the accessory terminal in the fuse block. That would cause a melt down of some sort.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now you are talking above my head, Fred and Motorcycleboy :roll:
Why would there be a problem?
Where would I wire the driving lights then (cause they are on order)
Thanks!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Get an aux fuse panel from EC. http://www.electricalconnection.com/pow ... pplate.htm

It really cleans up all the extra wires from add ons and they are switched with the key. You can get their ground plate or go to Radio shack and get one for $5 that fits perfectly above the battery. Just run a heavy jumper to the negative.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
icing777 said:
Now you are talking above my head, Fred and Motorcycleboy :roll:
Why would there be a problem?
Where would I wire the driving lights then (cause they are on order)
Thanks!
The driving lights should come with good instructions on wiring. I have used Electrical Connection and Tulsa; both had good instructions.

If you follow the instructions, the hi-amp wires go direct to the battery (fused). The lights are controlled by lo-amp wiring and a relay. Should not be a problem for you. :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts