GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the electro full face flip up helmet from jc whitney? Ok now i'm pushing it does the silver match the 02 silver gl1800?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would like to widen the question.

Does any manufacturer make a helmet in any style that match the -02 Stream silver completely?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You might want to read the last issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. They just did a review of the flip front halmets, giving each a rating.

Top rating and best buy was a Nolan N100E Rapid, followed by HJC SY-MAX, Jarrow Mono X2, Schuberth Concept ane Shoei Syncrotec as all Recommended, next was Fulmer Modus AF-M, Lazer Centure, Vega Summit XPV, and last Zeus 5008S Liftech.

All were DOT accepted (except Zeus), and none have SNELL certs. Colors were not mentioned.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Can't help you on the helmet, just replying cause I am a "Mike & Carol" too :D

Welcome to the board!! Hope you get comfy & stay awhile!!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Gosh, guys, do I have to change my name????

At least Carol will not have to.

Harry and Carol....:lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lucky you Harry! :wink:

Now I have to change my name to Mike first and then I have to find a lady named Carol! :oops:

Wheewww I am already tired ! :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was looking at those helmets in the JC Whitney catalog too. I guess I would be concerned about quality from a no name brand.
Can anyone post the article from Motorcycle Consumer News?
Take care, Eric

·
Registered
949 Posts
The article would be quite lengthy to post. I believe each helmet reviewed was also pictured.

My recommendation: Subscribe to MCN and buy the back issue. I consider it to be the best M/C mag I get. No advertising. Some on this board have taken MCN to task because they perceived MCN may have been on the take from some manufacturers when testing equipment. Everything I've seen in MCN leads me to believe they have high integrity. JMO

I've saved that issue of MCN (and a number of other mags) for reading while lying on a white sand beach in southern Mexico next week. The experience won't be as good as riding my GL1800 but given the extended winter, it'll do for now. Hopefully spring will have arrived by the time we return.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Janne Sweden said:
I would like to widen the question.

Does any manufacturer make a helmet in any style that match the -02 Stream silver completely?
Have you looked at the Vega helmets? They claim color match to the 2003 Honda colors. I have the Candy Red and it's an exact match to the 2004 GL1800A I have.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just a minor correction. 8) The Zeus 508 is DOT approved. Got one sitting right here. I've been using it for two years now and it's a good fit for me. I even got one that's a real close match to the pearl blue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got a vega too. Seems pretty good. Comfortable. I was able to install the edset fairly easily and decently. Got for 129.00

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Try this like

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/product_comparison.htm

We have two Zeus 508s, and two Vega flip-ups. Zeus's are about three years old, and Vega's two years old. The Zeus claims to be DOT approved and is so labeled, but it is not listed in the DOT list of helmets, last time I looked. Vega's, which we got to replace the Zeus, are much quieter, more comfortable, and headset friendly. They do have a little wind noise, comparing to a Arai or Nolan full face, but we like ours. I tried a Shoei for one day, and gave up because my chin kept hitting the face piece. It just did not fit ME, but may be great for others. I did like the feel, just did not fit. Both the full face and open face Shoei fit me just fine. In fact, we have a pair of both, all with J&M headsets.

Our preference today is the Vega, and the Zeus's are relegated to be back-up helmets for the CB550 or someone using one of the other bikes.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
I just bought a Vegas full face helmet from Competition Accessories that is supposed to be color matched to the 03 Gold Wing. The color for the 03 Candy Orange is not a perfect match. The helmet is a darker Candy Orange but the paint is flawless and very pretty. The shell is fiberglass/ Kevlar that is Snell/Dot approved. The liner is totally removable so it can be washed and there are plenty of vents. The faceshield is optically clear, and comes in smoke,mirror,blue etc... and is easily removable without any tools.... much easier to remove and reinstall than my HJC is. The helmet is very comfortable for me and quiet behind the windshield.

It's made in China, but I am very impressed with the quality of the Vegas full face helmet. For 129 dollars you just can't go wrong with this helmet. The only cons with this helmet is there are no speaker pockets..but I fixed that by removing some padding and now the speakers fit very nicely. The only other con for at least the 03 Candy Orange color, it doesn't match like they claim... but it still looks good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts