GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered electronic deer alert, has anyone installed one and where is the best location? Got 2 friends that killed a total of 4 deer in the last year and they dont hunt. One of them got 2 at one time with a very nice 55 chevy. :eek:4:
Thanks......KC :sw1:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Electronic deer alerts??

KC - I'm curious on the deer alert's effectiveness as I have read quite a few studies and had quite a few very learned friends tell me that deer alerts are simply not effective for preventing accidents. Why do you feel this will help you?

DaleC

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hit a deer with no alerts. I have not hit one with an alert mounted. If they are kept clean I am quite sure that they can be heard by the animal's reaction to my approach...In NM anyway. Dogs and cats and other critters seem to look up with the things mounted on the front cowling. I just have the cheap ones. I guess i could call them protection aganst elephants, too, since I have not hit one! :lol:

It's true that they will not prevent the accident. Only my alertness can do that and if having them helps, well, I like that. By the way, the horn helps!!
bub

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Deer Alerts

I average about 20,000 miles a year, do not use deer alerts, and have never struck a deer. I have had some close calls, but close is OK :lol: . I did research the claims and all the studies I found disclaimed all value of these alerts. The manufactures refer to studies done in Europe, but all of those studies actually found the alerts worthless. The sound that is produced is usually within the hearing of the deer & human hearing, but is lower that the sound of the approaching vehicle. I did have lots of web sites bookmarked for these studies, but the only one I can find now is at:
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/ ... b1677.html
But they are cheap and it it makes a person feels safer then they don't hurt anything. For me the best thing is good night lighting, stay alert, and ride a little slower during the time deer might be around. Also, every time I have seen deer, they were in bunches, so if you see one, beware, he has friends close by.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't doubt that deer can hear a deer whistle, I'm just concerned that they may have missed the training for what they are supposed to do when they hear it. It probably startles them, and being the dumb twitchy forest rats they are, they probably prepare to bolt in some direction. They don't know the motorcycle will stay on the road, they could even think you're coming right at them, especially if you are on a curve. The direction they bolt could be right into your path, where they think you aren't going. So I guess I believe the whistles might change their behavior, I'm just not convinced it's a net positive change.

Whew. Well should we talk oil or tires next. :roll:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a super deer zapper....

I have invented a super deer alert so powerful that you need not even install it on your bike. Just sent me your e-mail address and $20.00 and I will send a powerful sonic beam anywhere in the country from the confort of my liar. You must update your subscription every year.

When your done with that I have this bridge....

Grape

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Deer cannot hear them

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=883931

Drivers are just whistling in the dark if they think deer hear them coming

BY LARRY PORTER

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU
LINCOLN - The white-tailed deer breeding season is nearing, and more deer-vehicle collisions occur in the Midlands during late October and November than at any other time of the year.

More deer-vehicle collisions occur in the Midlands during late October and November than at any other time of the year.

If you mounted one of those air-fed whistles on your vehicle with the expectation that it will alert the deer and keep them anchored to the roadside, your faith is badly misplaced.

"Deer can't hear them," said Pete Scheifele, animal bioacoustics and audiology expert at the University of Connecticut.

Scheifele and his crew of researchers tested a half-dozen different brands of air-fed whistles and discovered that none of them can be heard by deer.

Their idea to test deer whistles came after researchers at Texas A&M were able to determine the frequencies that deer were able to hear. That was the first research ever done to determine what sounds deer actually could hear.

"My group decided to capitalize on the Texas A&M research," Scheifele said. "We knew deer whistles had been on the market for many years. But because they had been produced before the Texas A&M study, we wondered if they could even be heard by the animals."

Scheifele and his group purchased six different brands, then tested them first in a laboratory.

"We forced air through them and made the whistles perform at their very best," he said. "We got them to make their loudest sounds. We found what frequencies the whistles actually produced and how loud they produced those frequencies."

The whistles that performed the best in the lab were then mounted onto vehicles. The vehicles were then driven past a highly sensitive microphone that was placed near the road. A recording was made of the sounds picked up by the microphone.

"Advertisements of all the whistles said they were ultrasonic," Scheifele said. "That means it's a frequency that a human being is unable to hear. Humans can hear 20 hertz on the low side and 20,000 hertz on the high side. None of these whistles are ultrasonic."

The whistles Scheifele's group tested produced two frequencies - a 3,300 hertz signal and a 12,000 hertz signal."

"When you buy a whistle," Scheifele said, "you actually get a pair. "They each produce a different frequency. The thought is that together the two frequencies actually produce what the deer respond to."

After learning how loud the deer whistles actually are, the researchers - by using data from the Texas A&M study - were able to determine how well the deer could hear the whistles.

"The 3,300 hertz signal is so low that it's lost in the noise of the car," Scheifele said.

"In our experiment, those devices did not produce signals that were detectable by these animals. Deer were unable to hear them."

Scheifele has heard from people who are convinced that the air-fed whistles on their vehicles work as advertised.

"I am concerned that a person will buy an air-fed whistle, put it on his car and somehow will feel a false sense of security that it is doing its job," he said. "I know the animal can't hear them.

"Some people, including police, absolutely swear by these whistles. I'm a scientist. I'm telling you what an animal can hear and what a whistle produces. It doesn't make sense to put them on. And it certainly is a dangerous possibility to be lulled into a false sense of security."

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am with Kerry. They may in fact hear the sound, but I am not sure they got trained on what they are supposed to do when they hear it. :idea:

Johnny

·
Registered
12 Posts
Electronic Deer Whistle

I have an electronic deer whistle on my bike and have seen the reaction of four deer and one coyote. They did not move away from the bike as I rode into the parking lot, but when I turned on the deer whistle, they all crashed headlong through the nearby bushes and wooded area. The whistle is mounted on the metal plate in the fairing tunnel. It is aimed about 45 degrees down and to the front. I have it wired to one of my accessory switches so I can turn it off because the noise drives me nuts. The bad thing about that is that I don't always remember to turn it on when I reach the rural areas where it is most important. I had many of the air powered whistles. They are useless. This thing really does appear to scare them away though.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
my wife told me, the best deer protection is:

ware your camo hunting outfit, you always complain that you never see any deer when you ware that stuff, ware it on the bike~~~you'll never see a deer for the rest of your life :? :shock: :D :D :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I notice from reading all the replies most (not all) but most referred to the non-electrical powered deer whisles. The original post asked about the ELECTRIC POWERED electronic deer whisle.

Also, all the studies seemed to talk about the passive air powered whisles. It would be interesting to read a study on the eletronic ELECTRIC powered type.

Ken H>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts