GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has installed a Buchtec hitch (couple of years ago)with the isolator package, and last season we noticed that after riding awhile, the left tail light on his trailer (Time-out) would come on and stay lite until it cooled off. It has now melted the lens on his trailer. Could this be a faulty isolator, or any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
A friend has installed a Buchtec hitch (couple of years ago)with the isolator package, and last season we noticed that after riding awhile, the left tail light on his trailer (Time-out) would come on and stay lite until it cooled off. It has now melted the lens on his trailer. Could this be a faulty isolator, or any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for any info.
To get the lens to melt, you need more heat than the running light part of the bulb puts out. It could happen with the brake light running continously. They take about 5 times the power that the running light bulb does.

Then there is the cause - could be a circuit between the alway hot wire and the running light wire, could be a relay gone south. Suggest you unplug the trailer and test the circuits on the bike, then run a continuity check on the trailer wiring.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I had this happen to three of these isolators in a row and threw the last one over the building years ago when I had a Hannigan trailer.

The brake relay contacts tend to weld together and you are left with brake lights on all the time which is unsafe.

That is why we have internal isolation and use 30 amp plug in relays.

I will be glad to eMail you a schematic so you can make your own system and mount it in the trailer.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My brake light is fused shut, so it is always on. The relays are in a solid state device. You have to replace the whole unit and not just just the one you want to. Well, I just bought a Bosch type relay. I am just going to resplice the brake wires only to it, and let the original Bushtec modual control the rest. These relays are dirt cheap on ebay.

Herb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts