GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has installed a Buchtec hitch (couple of years ago)with the isolator package, and last season we noticed that after riding awhile, the left tail light on his trailer (Time-out) would come on and stay lite until it cooled off. It has now melted the lens on his trailer. Could this be a faulty isolator, or any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A friend has installed a Buchtec hitch (couple of years ago)with the isolator package, and last season we noticed that after riding awhile, the left tail light on his trailer (Time-out) would come on and stay lite until it cooled off. It has now melted the lens on his trailer. Could this be a faulty isolator, or any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for any info.

There is a relay for each of the circuits of the isolator (tail, brake, left turn and right turn). The contacts in the relay stuck in the closed position. It's common for the relay contacts to break loose after they cool off. I had this same exact thing happen with my isolator unit, it was the brake light circuit. The trailer brake lights stayed on for a while (even with the ignition switch in the off position) then finally went off . The relay had stuck in the closed position.

I contacted Lewis Preston of Electrical Connection and he confirmed my evaluation of what happened.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it's the tail light and not the brakelight coming on, then it can't be the relay. There is only one circuit between the bike and trailer for the taillights. If the relay was sticking, then all of the running lights would be on at the same time. I also don't understand why the lens would melt as the running lights are supposed to be on all the time, anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the brake light that comes on and stays on until it's unplugged,which got hot enough to melt the lens.

So now do we just replace the whole unit?

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it's the brake light only on the trailer and not on the bike, too, then it can't be anything but the relay sticking. I don't know about the isolator you're using but mine is a sealed unit and would necessitate replacing the whole unit. Good luck and let us know what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts