GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need a little help. I have a horn that plays a horse sound. I want to activate the horn using an led remote unit. The unit will be separate from my led lights. It has a 2amp fuse inline and I assume that is the max current draw. The horn unit is triggered by one 12volt pulse. In essence I want to wire the horn controller through a relay and trigger that relay with the remote. The relay must not permanently latch the circuit but only provide a momentary trigger pulse then shuts off and resets. I'm racking my brain. I know someone on here can help.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ok guys I need a little help. I have a horn that plays a horse sound. I want to activate the horn using an led remote unit. The unit will be separate from my led lights. It has a 2amp fuse inline and I assume that is the max current draw. The horn unit is triggered by one 12volt pulse. In essence I want to wire the horn controller through a relay and trigger that relay with the remote. The relay must not permanently latch the circuit but only provide a momentary trigger pulse then shuts off and resets. I'm racking my brain. I know someone on here can help.
Tie into the Trunk Lock Control Unit Circuit.

The Trunk Circuit works using your Remote Key Fob. The Trunk Lock Control Unit locks and unlocks the Trunk Circuit by applying power to the Trunk Lock/Unlock Motor in one polarity to Lock and in the opposite polarity to unlock. These are the R (Red) and Y (Yellow) wires at the Trunk Lock Control Module. Another function of the Trunk Lock and Unlock system is to Flash the Turn Signals Once when you Unlock and twice when you Lock the Trunk using the Remote. This is the P/W (Pink with a White Tracer) wire at the Trunk Lock Control Module.

So-o-o-o-o there are a couple of options depending on whether or not you even want to use the Trunk Lock/Unlock Circuit to do this at all. Here are two ways to do this: First, you could tap into the one or the other of the Lock/Unlock Motor circuit R (Red) and Y (Yellow) wires at the Trunk Lock Control Module. In this fashion when you either Lock or Unlock the Trunk with the Remote, the lock or unlock circuit's normal operation will also power your Horn Relay. In this fashion the Horn will only sound when you either lock, or when you unlock the Trunk; it won't do both. Another option would be to disconnect, or tap into the P/W (Pink with a White tracer) wire at the Trunk Lock Control Unit and use that to power your Horn Relay. The Downside to either option is that using your Remote to actually lock or unlock the trunk will also cause your Horn to sound. If when using the second option (P/W wire) you substitute your Horn Relay for the Turn Signal Circuit, as opposed to taping into the circuit, this result in the loss of the Turn Signal blinking as a confirmation of a Lock or Unlock command and will replace it with your Horn . . . also if using this method the Horn will sound once when you unlock and twice when you lock the bike. Who knows, you might want such a choice . . . . In either case, you could certainly place a cut-out switch in the Horn Relay circuit so that your Horn would only become available for entertainment when you activate the cut-out switch. Using a DPDT cut-out switch in the Turn Signal Light Circuit, you could switch between the flashing of your Turn Signals and the Horn.

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
Talk to " mister ed " ;);)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You are not clear if horn is being used on bike, or just to randomly activate ? A dc relay wired to remote trigger, trigger pulse pulls in relay but second set of contacts on relay would be wired in series with dc power that feeds remote trigger; so instant the relay gets powered/ relay swings and makes one set of contacts to trigger horn while second set of contacts breaks the power feed and drops out the relay and power to trigger circuit. Relay goes back to normal position and reapplies dc power to trigger circuit/ waiting to be pulsed again. DPDT relay.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went a different route. Wanted additional volume so installed cheap amp with on/off switch. Used push button to trigger horn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts