GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jore,

Sounds like you enjoy what you ride on. Why not let the other folks enjoy what they ride on?

Bulldog

·
Registered
19 Posts
dunlop tires

I actually have a Bridgestone on the front and a Dunlop on the rear (still the original tire). In my experience they just do not handle the mileage like the Avon or Metzler do.

I am new to the Goldwing owner thing. I just want to be informed. I have learned alot from yall so far (front end wobble, left fork seal, and left saddlebag latch).

I enjoy reading all your posts.

Thanks
Jore

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have E3's on all my wings,So I know the difference between the Biased & Radials,and find no problems with any of the wings Sticking where I expect them too..I like to ride like I stole it....I wouldn't take Metzler's if they were free!!

Your tire choice will vary :D Like the man says.Ride on what you are happy with & who cares what the other guy does?

·
Registered
123 Posts
E3's

Wingrider57

You won't be so happy with the tires when the tread on the rear tire seperates from the body. I sure hope you do not crash and no one is hurt.

Check with the Goldwing Chapter, in Warsaw, IN. One of them has lost two E3's in the past year.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I like the E3s but after 6K they do sing to ya

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Re: E3 tires

Jore346 said:
So tell me. Why is everyone so set on putting crappy Dunlops on thier bikes? In the 25+ years of riding Metzelers ME880 and the Avon Vemons are way better tires.
BECAUSE they (metzler) come apart & metz is getting bitchey on there warantee....chuck..ps I think I will try avons after bridgstones 851/850..

·
Registered
270 Posts
What warrantee?

I had to replace my Metzlers after 700 miles and Metzler Tire still has not replaced them or refunded my money.

They did take the tires back, for an extended inspection.

This has taken several weeks now.

In my opinion that's no warranty at all.

It didn't take me nearly as long to figure out what was wrong with the tires, they wobbled off the road, period.

Good luck trying to contact anyone at Metzler, regarding a tire problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tires and Designer Jeans

The debate continues and will continue as long as we have different tires and all of us have different opinions, wants and beliefs. My yellow GW has E3s and I have been pleased with them on both dry and wet roads on the freeways and the mountains. They do sing in the twisties and when alone I sometimes turn the audio off and just enjoy the road, the challenge, the response of the bike and yes even the singing tires. If I had a different brand, I might enjoy those also.

I have come to believe that having good tires with good tread will perform nearly 100% my needs just as changing the oil with a quality product is far more important than which brand I use or which brand of designer jeans my SO is wearing on any given day; Except I will complement the jeans and the wearer no matter what brand they are. Some things I have learned to do right over the years.

Enjoy the ride and enjoy the debates and I'll generally just do what I like and you do the same.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've been through OEM Bridgestones, 2sets of old style Dunlops,new E3's and I'm just going to try them all at least once. Next set will be as Yellow Wolf suggested. Bridgestone up front and Metzler in the back. Sure hope I can get better milage out of them than he does :)
E3's wear like iron but seem to be getting a little slippery as they wear(out)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: E3 tires

Jore346 said:
So tell me. Why is everyone so set on putting crappy Dunlops on thier bikes? In the 25+ years of riding Metzelers ME880 and the Avon Vemons are way better tires.
Don't think you will find anybody set on putting anything they think is crappy on their bikes. I find it funny though that after a topic is opened and one person comments that your statement has everyone agreeing on tires. Read a few of the tire threads and then please let me know what brand, size, pressure, motorcycle/car tire we all use. :p
If you choose to accept this assignment and succeed we will move you on to oil, color, riding attire, etc... :roll:

·
Registered
181 Posts
After the OEM Dunlops wore out I put E3s front and rear (70 series rear). I got 13.5 K on the rear and the front is looking fantastic. So I kept the front and just put a Bridgestone on the rear because I could not get an E3 recently.

After 2000 miles I'm really liking the Stone and I loved the E3 too. The Stone is not as built up in the center as was the E3 and appears to ride more smoothly in the turns etc. From what I've read I may not get the milage out of the Stone that I got with the E3 so the next change should have the front and rear ready to change near the same time, so I'll try another brand then.

There is a big difference between reading about and riding on various tires. So I plan to try several different sets over the years until I find what I like best. I seem to go through about 2 sets a year so this should not take long. I've liked both that I've tried so far.

Chuck
MBD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts