GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight recollection of this topic coming up before, but I couldn't find it......anybody know if there's a quick/easy fix for the hazard flasher button? Mine stays stuck on when I activiate them - - I have been able to turn them off by either pressing the button about 100 times until it finally rises, or with needle-nose pliers.
I don't want to take it to the dealer for such a small thing ya' know.
Thanks,
Steve
'03 Candy Red
SCRC Road Capt/3rd Off.
SS1000-'06

·
Registered
221 Posts
Steve,

I had the same problem with the ON/OFF switch for the cruise control. Tried silicon spray, compressed air, working the switch loose with pliers, etc. Finally gave up and the unit was replaced under the extended warranty.

Ed W.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
button

When mine stuck i used Radio Shack contact cleaner I sprayed and worked vigorously.I install a set of tunnel fillers and haven't had any more buttons sticking.

·
Registered
548 Posts
try some contact cleaner in the switch as this seems to be a problem with 1800 & switch is not available on its own you have to buy whole panel @ about $120

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all....Contact Cleaner is a great idea......stupid me- - I was way over-thinking this one....I was searching for the "mechanical" fix - I bet contact cleaner & the air compressor will "get-er-done".

Thanks Again!!
-Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try using contact spray followed by a good switch lubricant,,contact spray will remove all oils and grease and dirt from switch leaving it dry,,using a good switch lube like Radio Shack tuner spray or even a product called Tri-flow which is a good teflon based lubricant that will not get sticky when cold,,,,I use this on all switches and levers,,,,,

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The phone number is there call him and tell him what You want they are great!!

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
I carefully took mine apart, cleaned it, and lubed it with silicone grease.

There is a small catch inside the switch that sticks, lubricating it with silicone grease will fix it, but you have to take it apart to get to it. It is essentially the same as the mute, cruise, and reverse button.

Beware, if this happens to the reverse button you will either have to fix it on the spot, or call a tow truck, cause there is no way that I am aware of to get the bike out of reverse when the button sticks other than to take it apart and fix it. I have a friend that tried to make a U turn on a narrow country road, and used his reverse and it stuck, and about that time a truck came over the hill and he was stuck sideways in the road. Luckily he got it unjammed but not before messing his pants.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey Guys, Do exactly what Fred shows in his direction on his web site.
Thats the only was to get the switch working correctly. Or replace it.
But look at his Pic's & you will see that spraying all you want, the cleaner & such doesn't get to the actual switch. You must take it apart. Just be carefull & not loose any parts.

I had the same problem on my ride to Canada.(great country)
Took it apart at a motel on the North rim of the Grand Canyon. I used the extra grease inside the switch that gets pushed to the side when the switch is operated. Tried it out a few time & then put it all back together.
Been working great since.

Just changed out my first front tire with the HF tire changer. Not to bad of a job on the front. But wasn't real easy either. I still injoyed the time & tinkering.
Tomorrow I try the rear tire. Pray for me!!!!!!

DangerousDan

·
Registered
228 Posts
Fred:

Instead of replacing the who flasher module, couldn't the flasher switch with the fog lights switch?? I think they're the same, no?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
CEF59 said:
Fred:

Instead of replacing the who flasher module, couldn't the flasher switch with the fog lights switch?? I think they're the same, no?
They are mostly the same. The wire connections are different and the button cover is different. So, you will need to carefully remove the contact board (with wires attached) on both attach to the new switch and carefully remove the button covers to change out. I was about ready to do that on my '02. It was not a major concern since I had my alarm set up for hazards (no need to key) on the "lights" button. The hazard button was so bad, that the only way to turn them off was to disassemble the switch. I finally removed the locking pin as it was better to not have them than not being able to turn them off. I have a spare driving light switch now, so if I end up with the problem again, I can replace it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts