GL1800Riders Forums banner

Emergency Gas

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Big Tom 
#1 ·
I had a thought today as I was servicing my back-up generator for the house. I put fresh gas and Seafoam in it and thought the Seafoam cans would make good emergency gas bottles for the bike. The cans are robust and hold 16 oz. Four of them would give you 1/2 gallon of gas and hopefully, depending on conditions, get you 20 miles on down the road. The cans are small enough to be tucked in here and there and not impact storage space too much.

Just a thought.

#3 ·
I had a thought today as I was servicing my back-up generator for the house. I put fresh gas and Seafoam in it and thought the Seafoam cans would make good emergency gas bottles for the bike. The cans are robust and hold 16 oz. Four of them would give you 1/2 gallon of gas and hopefully, depending on conditions, get you 20 miles on down the road. The cans are small enough to be tucked in here and there and not impact storage space too much.

Just a thought.

Not for me, spare gas would be a hazardous situation in a crash. The bike does have a fuel gauge, just keep an eye on it and plan accordingly.:smile2:

#4 ·
The Seafoam can is pretty good, but the screw on cap is not.
I would suggest looking into a camp-backpacking supply and get a white gas camp fuel container for backpackers camp stove's. Its a tough tank and secure screw on cap. Has to be for carrying on your back and up to-down from altitudes.

Corventure Dave

#5 ·
Here’s my 30oz bottle and where it lives. I’ve used it a time or two for me, but more often to assist another biker on the side of the road...

:thumbup:

Attachments

#6 ·
Revrunt it looks like you might have something in there to hold the bottle in the upright position ?

Fortunately I have never ran a 1800 out of fuel but yes I also have helped a few motorcyclists sitting on the side of the road out of gas, I carry one of those siphon hoses were all you have to do is shake it a little and the gas starts flowing. I have often thought about buying one of those bottles but so far I haven’t.
I did buy one of those one gallon plastic fuel containers for our Alaska trip last year with the Tenere but I rode all the way up there and back without ever putting any gas in it.

#13 ·
Actually, cycledude, the bottle is a perfect height to slip in(top first) to a recessed area behind the latch cover and then the bottom slides over and pretty much locks it in place. I do have brake pads and some other misc emergency stuff in behind the gas bottle and it actually keeps that stuff in place when the bag is empty...

:thumbup:

Reactions: cycledude
#7 ·
I picked up a couple of double walled aluminum drink bottles at a hardware store for $2 each on clearance sale. All that needed replaced were the o-ring seals to petroleum resistant ones. I filled them leaving about a half inch of air for expansion. Tested them in the sunlight for a month stopper side down. No leaks. Used them on my quads with great success.

Attachments

#8 ·
goldwing

I do not have emergencies about gas. I fill up at 1/2 a tank. Running out of gas is poor planning. I also do not ride with people who run out of gas either!

I was just about to compare planning ahead to aviation, then I realized the running out of gas is one the top causes of small airplane crashes! Maybe those pilots ride Motorcycles too!>:)

Rayjoe

#9 · (Edited)
Depending on where I'll be headed; West USA, East Coast USA or the AlCan Highway, I choose my back-up fuel supply accordingly.

These are the largest fuel containers (picture is not to scale) that each manufacturer makes, that will fit on/in my road bikes and that I feel comfortable with . . . and even then . . . .

The Primus and the MSR Bottles are what I used originally when Back-Packing. So, from personal experience, I feel really comfortable with their integrity. I tend to use one of them in the lower 48. I've never needed to use one myself . . . but I've made a few friends here and there, because I had one. I also have the one gallon jug. If/when I take a run up to Alaska (next summer, I hope) I'll probably carry one of them. Although I really hope I never find myself in a situation where I actually need it.

Attachments

#14 ·
I own the 1 gal jug on the right --
I slip it in my saddlebag on my GS850 for any long rides - that bike only has 3.5 gals to reserve --
I DID try it in the Goldwing saddlebag and it fits nicly --
I filled it up with 9/10ths gallon and it never leaked in over 2500 miles of riding - And I DID use it once .. :surprise:

Reactions: Bluehighways
#15 ·
RR pick ya up a MSR bottle. Thicker walls and better cap. I carried two on my dual sport and after going to touring with the wing I still plan on taking at least one....Not used to this goldwing thing yet ?. Dumped the DR many times and the MSR held up with miner scrapes.

#16 ·
:rolleyes:

You might want to rethink your strategy. I know reasonably well where next gas is going to be...even in places like this:

There's two devices built into these new machines that helps with that:

1) old-school trip meter. Reset to zero at every fuel stop, just like we all did back in the day when motorcycles did not have fuel gauges.

2) fuel gauges. If you've not taken the time to get a good reading of just how far your motorcycle will take you until it turns you into a pedestrian, you *should* take that gallon gas can, fill it up, then go ride your bike until it coughs.

Now, look at that trip meter. Empty that gas can, now fuel your bike at the next opportunity. At this point, you at least have a reasonable idea of range.

:mrgreen:

So, I know that I can fill up, and run as hard as I can for those 168 miles along US-6 between Ely and Tonopah (that sign is a few miles outside of Tonopah, by the way) and not worry one bit about fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.