GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
There was recently a thred talking about this topic and got me looking into it on my bike. I recently bought a 2019 Goldwing tour that was a local dealers demo unit so it had 203 miles on it. I got the 2 fobs and 2 keys with 1 fob having a metal tag with 8 numbers that I thought was the start code, but reading the other thred it sounds like that tag is the code to get a new key made. The only other tag given is a dealer key tag with Stock#, year, make, model and vin#.
So question; is the metal tag the start code? If not can i get the code from bike while its on or am i calling the dealer?

BTW....Finally got a dry weekend in Seattle so self quarantined myself by riding over 200 miles out in the country roads....I LOVE MY BIKE 馃槅

Registered
The metal tag is a key cutting code for a locksmith. You or the dealer will have to contact Honda to provide the emergency code if the dealer don't have the paper tag with the code..

Registered
Metal tag is the key code to be used to get one made if the other keys are not available for copying.

The plastic tag in Woodsracr1's photo is the tag with the start code. (code is 1/2 covered in the photo)

FWIW, if you have a qr code scanner app on your phone, the qr code on the tag also contains the emergency code.
(same one as the numerical -- but is another way to save it.)

Taking a photo of the tag and/or a qr code app shot of it can provide alternate methods to have an available copy of the number.

EDIT -- I see we were typing at the same time....

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, No tag like that on fobs or in my bike purchase packet....Looks like a trip to dealer on Tuesday as i definitely want this important info in my long distance trip arsenal...

15 year Member
When you get one tape it to the inside of your owner鈥檚 manual...and make up a name in your contacts on your phone and record it there too!

mattbcnv

Registered
My guess is the emergency code has been taped inside the rear HONDA plate where the emergency keyhole is, or somewhere in the shelter case. I'm not saying where mine is but that's where I'd look.

Registered
My dealer wrote down both fob emergency codes inside the front cover of the owners manual........smart thinking!

Write it down and take a picture of it with your phone.......or take a picture of the tag(s).
Also, take a picture of the page in the owners manual in case you don't have it with you.
Impossible to remember the button sequence otherwise.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea gdb069, just went out in garage and looked behind the plate and everywhere else on the bike with no luck..
Kinda weird the dealer didn't notice it was missing when handing me the keys n bike, i had no idea about this emergency procedure till reading it on this forum....Heading to dealer Tuesday with Vin # so they can correct their mistake..

Registered
I had the same issue, dealer had no clue what an emergency start code is. I had to go to service department and open a service ticket. Service department then has to contact Honda USA and request the number from Honda Japan. Took me about 6 weeks. Honda USA does not have access to the code.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Dang 6 weeks, and Seattle just went into virus lock down for 2+ weeks so dealer will be closed....Since i plan to self quarantine by rideing back country roads 馃槉 Thinking of taping the metal key somewhere on bike then taking the battery out of extra fob and hiding battery in saddle bag and then extra fob in trunk..That way im covered if main fob dies or gets lost while quarentineing out in the sticks......

Registered
Dang 6 weeks, and Seattle just went into virus lock down for 2+ weeks so dealer will be closed....Since i plan to self quarantine by rideing back country roads 馃槉 Thinking of taping the metal key somewhere on bike then taking the battery out of extra fob and hiding battery in saddle bag and then extra fob in trunk..That way im covered if main fob dies or gets lost while quarentineing out in the sticks......
No need to take out battery if its turned off. I keep mine in the left saddlebag.

Registered
I cant believe it, dealers are supposed to know all that stuff.
It's all about profit now.....the days of dealers really caring and knowing about the products they sell is a very rare thing.

I purchased my 2009 GL1800 from Hatfield Motorsports in Iowa because I knew Pete Hatfield cared about the motorcycles he sold and had the bike setup properly.
He explained everything at delivery....best experience I've ever had purchasing a new motorcycle.
Maybe not the cheapest I could find and definitely not he closest (325 miles away), but it was well worth it.

But, he had to close his doors because he could not compete with the Powerhouse dealers undercutting him all the time.......he could not provide a high level of service and sell bikes at the same price. He refused to sacrifice a good dealership experience to sell bikes at a deep discount.

Long story short, a lot of the really good supporting dealers are no more as they can't afford to stay in bussiness and provide solid support and knowledge........pretty sad really.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts