GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought my used GL from a local small town family owned Honda dealer. The shop owner spent at least an hour going over the bike with me when I picked it up. He had already wrote both codes in the manual (for the previous owner) and he went through the emergency start procedure, then had me do it. The bike even though used came with the master key, both fobs with enclosed keys and white tags.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have an older Goldwing but have always hidden a spare key on the bike. I have never had to use it in 16 years but I know it's there just in case.
These are keyless bikes... so just hiding a key on these won't help. That is why there is the emergency start up procedure in case you loose the key.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I cant believe it, dealers are supposed to know all that stuff.
The Honda dealership ignorance of their product really astounded me. I have no faith in them whatsoever. I just came out of the Harley world, the dealerships I'm used to are very knowledgable about their product. I guess The Honda dealerships are spreading themselves too thin, a salesman need to know about so many products, ATV's, motorcycles, snowmobiles, generators and the list goes on. No wonder they have a problem. Harley salesmen, here at least, only need to know the motorcycle .

·
Registered
232 Posts
... Thinking of taping the metal key somewhere on bike then taking the battery out of extra fob and hiding battery in saddle bag and then extra fob in trunk..That way im covered if main fob dies or gets lost while quarentineing out in the sticks......
The keyfob battery is CR2032 and are under $5 for 2. I put 2 in my shelter case because that's always open and batteries are small. Your key will warn you if the battery is low but nice to have a battery on hand. If you take the metal "built-in" key out of the spare fob, cover over the hole with some tape because you don't want dust or any liquid getting in there. I agree taking the spare keyfob battery out because you don't want it to accidentally activate. I put the spare keyfob in left saddlebag because that's the first one that opens and in an emergency I don't want to have to remember too much. I have a camera photo of the emergency start code and the code setup as a contact AND the Emergency start procedure notes in my phone.

G.

PS. Guess where you lookup this information in the manual:
Under "K" key: nope
Under "F" fob: nope.
Under "K" keyfob: nope.
Under "S" Smartkey: nope.
Under "S" Starting the Engine: Nope

Give up yet? Its under "H" for Honda as in Honda Smart Key. Using this logic should everything in the manual be under "H" for How redundant?

G.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My dealer didn't know how to open the fuel door. That's all I'll say.
I kid you not...................a Honda dealer ( not where I bought mine ) I visited before my purchase had no idea what the emergency brake lever was. I asked "is that an emergency brake like on a car ?" He didn't know. A dealer !!! HONDA dealer !!!! Can't make this stuff up !!

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Honda dealership ignorance of their product really astounded me. I have no faith in them whatsoever. I just came out of the Harley world, the dealerships I'm used to are very knowledgable about their product. I guess The Honda dealerships are spreading themselves too thin, a salesman need to know about so many products, ATV's, motorcycles, snowmobiles, generators and the list goes on. No wonder they have a problem. Harley salesmen, here at least, only need to know the motorcycle .
Love Hondas. I've also owned a Harley. I agree with you completely. Simply too many things to 'know about' in the HONDA world.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The dealer I purchased from sells multiple Mfg of all kind of toys Honda, Suzuki, Can Am, Ect so i kinda understand them not knowing or showing me this...But damn it's kinda a very important function to know that your new bike does. Thanks for the battery # I'll pick up a pack and put in bike....I set up a Contact in my phone called Hondo with License # Vin # and key code # (I thought was start code) I will add start code when i finally get it....

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The dealer I purchased from sells multiple Mfg of all kind of toys Honda, Suzuki, Can Am, Ect so i kinda understand them not knowing or showing me this...But damn it's kinda a very important function to know that your new bike does. Thanks for the battery # I'll pick up a pack and put in bike....I set up a Contact in my phone called Hondo with License # Vin # and key code # (I thought was start code) I will add start code when i finally get it....
Page 170 of OM (at least for 2018) lists battery type (CR2032) and has pictures/instruction how to open fob and change it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bought my Wing used with 400 miles (dude traded it in on a new Harley). Only got the key fob. No owners manual or emergency code. Sent an email to Honda Powersports and they called me the next day. Sent them a copy of my dl and title and had the emergency code in two more days. Lady named Pat took care of me all while moving to her house to work from.
Great service from Honda Corporate even during all this virus mess. I was surprised and very grateful for the quick service on my request.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts