GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that had to get a new emergency start code, how long did it take you?
I took delivery of my bike on May 25 and at that time the morons that put the bike together threw away the codes. The dealer told me it would take a few weeks to get the codes. It’s now going on two months and they still have not been able to get them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I called Honda Customer Service and had the codes emailed to me within 2 or 3 days. Honda did require a copy of title and my Drivers License be sent prior to sending codes.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,570 Posts
I wouldn't had taken delivery of the bike til they got the codes..they would have had them by the end of the day, now after they got the money they don't care.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
I wouldn't had taken delivery of the bike til they got the codes..they would have had them by the end of the day, now after they got the money they don't care.
Yes, the OP probably wasn't aware of the codes. :oops:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

·
Love The DCT
12,521 Posts
For those of you that had to get a new emergency start code, how long did it take you?
I took delivery of my bike on May 25 and at that time the morons that put the bike together threw away the codes. The dealer told me it would take a few weeks to get the codes. It’s now going on two months and they still have not been able to get them.
I'm sure there is a difference between Honda Canada and American Honda in Torrance, CA in the way the request for a new emergency start code is handled. JMO, but two months and no start codes is ridiculous.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Contact Honda customer care directly. I think your can get them yourself in a couple of days. That has certainly been the case for others that have done it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
From my understanding Honda of Japan is contacted via Honda of Ezbakistan or wherever someone lives in the world and Honda of Japan provides your code to your corporate customer care.
I live in the USA and the thread I posted provides a direct number to someone who could probably point you in the right direction even being from Canada instead of waiting for someone to call....

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for you replies. Yes, I was fully aware of the codes. As soon as I saw the Fobs without the codes hanging from them I questioned the salesman. He went to the back and brought out 3 or 4 pieces of papers with codes that had been discarded. He tried them on my bike and they did not work. This means that other owners that took delivery of their bikes did not get their codes either without knowing that they should have.
I attempted to contact Honda Canada a few weeks back, they told me to contact my dealer as these type of inquiries need to go through them. I once again contacted my dealer yesterday and they said that they had not received them from Japan yet. I may try calling Honda again.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just contacted Honda Canada again. The person said that they will have to contact the dealership "to see what can be done". The wait continues......
On a side note, this same dealership delivered my bike with severely under inflated tires and a rattling windscreen. When I searched to see why the windscreen was rattling over bumps, I discovered that a washer was missing on one of the screen bolts causing the screen to be loose on that bolt. They also mounted the plastic bolt covers on the screen on the wrong sides. I've fixed it and now have a nice quiet screen, the way it should be!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Could you share with us what dealer? Selling Goldwings and throwing away the start codes for 4 years................. (n)

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
430 Posts
JC Powersports South, Calgary.
Thanks, on my list of places to avoid. When in Calgary I've made it a point to stop in at Blackfoot Moto but I see they don't do Honda.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blackfoot stopped selling Honda years ago. In my experiences over many years, unfortunately they are all the same. Mistakes are made but it’s the follow up that should be top priority to correct a mistake. I rarely see that anymore.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The story continues.......My dealership just called me. Person told me that Honda Canada called them after my call to HC. The person from HC was clueless as to what this code is and was asking the dealership if they could give me a new code. The dealership had to once again explain to HC what this was and how it works and what happened to the original codes. The person from HC then said that they will have to find someone that speaks Japanese to call Japan to see what can be done. In a nutshell, I am no further ahead then I was on May 25. I told my dealer that if they cannot supply me with a code they will be supplying me with a new bike that comes with the codes.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From my understanding Honda of Japan is contacted via Honda of Ezbakistan or wherever someone lives in the world and Honda of Japan provides your code to your corporate customer care.
I live in the USA and the thread I posted provides a direct number to someone who could probably point you in the right direction even being from Canada instead of waiting for someone to call....
Thank you sir, I just called Pat from Honda USA and left a message. Hopefully she can help.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,570 Posts
Don't forget that the key number is also needed...FOB code and key number should have been with the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
You got two fobs, right? And they threw away codes for both? Mind-boggling. Post-pandemic the world seems to have become a far-stupider place. You shouldn't have to, but worse comes to worst, you can buy a third fob. It will come with its own e-start code that, once registered to the motorcycle, will provide the e-start ability you're now lacking.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts