GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the tutorial by Honda, step 1 is to open both side bags. How would this be accomplished if the key fob isn't present? Wouldn't that mean the side bags would be locked? I'm assuming this procedure is used only if the key remote, and neither of the actual keys are available. Also, if one of the actual keys needs to be used, where would they be inserted?

·
Registered
413 Posts
You need the key to do the emergency start. Well, technically you only need both saddlebags open to do it, but if you lost your fob or the battery is dead you need the key to get them open. There is a keyhole above the license plate. That key opens the left side. Inside the left bag is a cable to pull to open the right side. So you need to keep a spare key in a good place besides in your fob.

Here is a video from Max that shows how to do it.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
In the tutorial by Honda, step 1 is to open both side bags. How would this be accomplished if the key fob isn't present? Wouldn't that mean the side bags would be locked? I'm assuming this procedure is used only if the key remote, and neither of the actual keys are available. Also, if one of the actual keys needs to be used, where would they be inserted?
Don't forget to put the code in your phone contact list...I put spare keys in the back of the drivers backrest pad..its out of sight and always on the bike just in case.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget to put the code in your phone contact list...I put spare keys in the back of the drivers backrest pad..its out of sight and always on the bike just in case.
Good idea for the code...I will carry a spare key in my wallet...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Instead of putting more stuff in my wallet, I took a picture of the key codes that came with my fobs and the instructions. Always have my phone with me when riding so it's always with me - also along with me is a spare battery in the hole in front of the seat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instead of putting more stuff in my wallet, I took a picture of the key codes that came with my fobs and the instructions. Always have my phone with me when riding so it's always with me - also along with me is a spare battery in the hole in front of the seat.
If you don't have your fob for some reason, how will you open the side cases without having an actual key? They will be locked.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
If you don't have your fob for some reason, how will you open the side cases without having an actual key? They will be locked.
You need to have a key to open the left saddlebag. Once the left saddlebag is open, you open the right saddlebag by pulling on the cable that is located inside the left saddlebag at the top.

Two keys come with the bike. One key fits in the slot at the end of the FOB. Keep the other key on you in case you lose the FOB. That way you can still start the bike if you loose the FOB.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Good idea for the code...I will carry a spare key in my wallet...
I keep mine in the bottom of my cubby. It is useless without the code. I suppose someone could steal my junk but highly doubtful. I never heard of a Goldwing being stolen. I have never seen anyone acting suspicious around my bike despite frequently leaving my helmet out to cover my radar detector. Guessing one day I will be disappointed but till then, I am not going to worry much.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
I keep mine in the bottom of my cubby. It is useless without the code. I suppose someone could steal my junk but highly doubtful. I never heard of a Goldwing being stolen. I have never seen anyone acting suspicious around my bike despite frequently leaving my helmet out to cover my radar detector. Guessing one day I will be disappointed but till then, I am not going to worry much.
Ive been with others that have had their helmets stolen while parked...once when we were two States away from home....
another friend had his seat cushion and soft cooler that was on top of his trailer stolen in a Walmart parking lot...some people steal just to steal. I never leave my helmet sitting on my bike.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Ive been with others that have had their helmets stolen while parked...once when we were two States away from home....
another friend had his seat cushion and soft cooler that was on top of his trailer stolen in a Walmart parking lot...some people steal just to steal. I never leave my helmet sitting on my bike.
I have a little cable I made, to retain two helmets. I should post photos... 3.5mm diameter stainless steel wire rope (gonna take a big pair of cutters to cut it), small loops at the ends, crimped ferrules, and covered in tech-flex wire loom with heat-shrunk ends. Never scratches, and unless you're carrying a large cable or bolt cutter - it's secure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I couldn't have gotten there in the first place without the fob - or are you thinking in case it's lost?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't have gotten there in the first place without the fob - or are you thinking in case it's lost?
One of the posters earlier said instead of carrying a key in their wallet, they keep it in the bike. I was asking, what if the fob was lost? From what I understand, you would have to have a key in order to unlock the side cases...they would be locked because the fob wouldn't be near the bike...is that not the case?

·
Registered
203 Posts
One of the posters earlier said instead of carrying a key in their wallet, they keep it in the bike. I was asking, what if the fob was lost? From what I understand, you would have to have a key in order to unlock the side cases...they would be locked because the fob wouldn't be near the bike...is that not the case?
keep the key hidden on/in the bike . Where and how is up to you.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
Yes..everything is locked without the FOB...the spare key is what unlocks the left saddlebag...then you pull a cable to unlock the right saddlebag...that tells the computer to enable the right fairing pocket button to accept the code to power up the electronics to start the bike...the bike then will run until you shut it off...then you have to enter the code again to restart the bike again until you get a FOB.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes..everything is locked without the FOB...the spare key is what unlocks the left saddlebag...then you pull a cable to unlock the right saddlebag...that tells the computer to enable the right fairing pocket button to accept the code to power up the electronics to start the bike...the bike then will run until you shut it off...then you have to enter the code again to restart the bike again until you get a FOB.
That's the way I understood the procedure...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I’ve tried the Honda super duper secret handshake procedure and codes to make sure it works on my bike........
But seeing it in print just makes me laugh........wonder if they came up with this convoluted sequence as some sort of April Fools joke, then just said hey lets implement it. :geek:

I could probably tape the key, code and a copy of the procedure on bike dash and a thief would think it‘s a joke and never even attempt it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
One addendum to the emergency start procedure you correctly describe; if I recall correctly from when my salesperson gave me the detailed explanation of all the bike's features, I believe after using the emergency start procedure and the bike is turned off, it can be restarted again without re-entering the digital code if the bike is restarted within a specified number of minutes. I believe that is to allow time for refueling.

I couldn't find reference to this 'hack' in the manual, but will call my dealer tomorrow and report back.

Fyi.

Tim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts