GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys carry with you for that unexpected nail. Where do you get the kit. What do you recommend?

The last thing I want is to be stranded simply bacause of a puncture that could be easily fixed with a plug and some air.

Do you recommend carrying the CO2 or a compresser?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up one of those t-handle tire plug kits then went over to Big Lots and grabbed a small 12 volt, $10 compressor. I cut the cigarette lighter plug off and replaced it with small battery clips so I can connect it direct to the battery. My luck has been good and have not had to use it for almost 36,000 miles, but I am ready if I ever get a puncture.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Here is what we use:

Stop & Go Tubeless Tire Plug Gun Kit- FREE SHIPPING
Flats Happen,but don't let it ruin your day. Most vehicles run on tubeless tires these days. Regardless of thickness or presealant additives they're all vulnerable to being punctured. Now you can experience the skill of a professional's hand and the thrill of saving time and money. Your tires can now be easily plugged on or off the wheel with this new shop style tool called the TIRE PLUGGER. The Gun is a spring loaded device that 'drives' the plug into the hole. The shaft of the plug expands under pressure to fill the puncture. The mushroom head of the plug seats on the inner wall allowing no air to escape. This insures maximum reliability from its' revolutionary design. And it's easily stored - so you're always prepared.
Part #: STO-1075

Retail Price: $43.95
Price: $39.95

That is Hals add above. We carry a compressor, as you can use it as many times as you need to. C02 works fine, but when you are out, you are out.

Just my personal preference.

Bulldog

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny you should ask that. I just completed my air compressor chop job this Saturday. Motorcycle Consumer News ran a story about converting a Campbell/Hausfield 12volt air compressor into a compact bike unit. I bought the unit at Home Depot ($15 - Campbell/Hausfield was bought out by Husky Tools) and did the conversion on the kitchen counter. I hook my compressor to the battery via my battery charger connection. This little compressor works great. For the tire plug I use a standard automotive plugger kit (the kind with the crochet needle and gooey strip). I believe that these type of plugs are more versatile than the guns that insert the little rubber plugs. :)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Stop 'n Go kit... not 100% reliable.

I used a Stop 'n Go plugger kit on my first flat. However, it didn't completely work. The nail was in my tire at a 45 degree angle, and no matter how hard I pulled on the plug to get the head to seat... the head couldn't seat on the inside of the tire (due to the angle of the hole) and the plug leaked air. I tried two plugs without success.

As a last ditch effort, I tried the $1.99 "sticky string" plugging kit that I carried in my old bike (and never had the misfortune to use). I threw it in the new bike, even though I had the Stop 'n Go kit. I opened it up, tried it, and it sealed on the first try.

Sometimes the old "tried and true" stuff works just fine (and at a fraction of the cost...)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Javern said:
I wonder how those cans of fix-a-flat I see at Wal Mart work??
Simply put... NO. Don't use that on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The problem with cans of fix-a-flat is that you must be rotating the tire while installing the goop into the tire. This would be a difficult task on the rear and near impossible on the front without removing both parts of the fender and having a jack with you to lift the front tire off the ground.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Stop & Go

I carry both the Stop and Go and the old fashion “sticky” plugs and glue. I used the Stop and Go one time and it worked perfectly. I check my tire pressure each day before I ride so I caught the tire leaking from a nail while sitting in the garage at home.

The incident reinforced the importance of checking tire pressure each day. I lost 2 pounds since the previous day so I knew there was a problem.

I have a Co2 kit to inflate a tire if remote. If I could do it all over again I would most likely get a small compressor as discussed many times on this site. I thought that Co2 kit would be pretty cool, and it is. However, in hindsight the air compressor is a more versatile option.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
I have been carrying the can of fixaflat for years and have used it a few times with excellent results. Many will claim the stuff will cause the wheel to corrode or plug valve stems or difficult to clean out from tire and rim,none of those problems when I used it. Fix a flat does not get the tire up to full pressure but it does inflate it enough to ride to a repair facillity if the puncture wasn't to big . I also carry the string type tire plugs and use them if the puncture is to big for fixaflat alone. I do plan to someday get one of those small handy 12 volt compressers which along with the string type plugs seem to be the ultimate tool for roadside repairs.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for all your input and advice. I appreciate the time you gave to help give me some insight on what would be the best way to go.

thanks.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got a flat in tlhe middle of the Arizona Desert,
65 miles from oxygen.

With a cell phone and Red Rider Roadside, took
three hours to get back on the road.

If I had a plug, glue and a compressor, would
have been on the road in fifteen minutes.

But I would have missed 25 photos of a lizard
under a cactus plant.

Get the compressor.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I carry two BMW patch kits, six CO2 bottles, ah string type patch kit, ah bicycle pump, & ah 12 volt stripped down compressor at all times.Plus ah cell phone, & GWRRA membership with towin.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have used stop and go plugs a copy times on some friends bike tires and really works great. It comes in a nice bag which I keep with me all the time. Good insurance I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts