GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am one of those guys that likes to change the oil filter in between oil changes (not meant as an argument starter), the prior owner gave me several of these EMGO oil filters but I have never used them on anything. I searched for posts in the tech board about EMGO oil filters and found some old posts from 10+ years ago with some negative comments but nothing recent. So I was wondering if any of you tech guys know of any reasons why I shouldn't use these up? The part number on the bottom of the box is a Honda part number. On prior Wings I've always used either black Honda or Purolator Pure One filters, but since I have several of these I was thinking on using them.
Sleeve Finger Font Publication Thumb
Plant Road surface Asphalt Finger Font

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any experienced information on these oil filters? Someone, anyone? :unsure:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I never used them. I only remember a lot of people poo-pooing them decades ago. The saying was "Em go in the trash".

Reactions: zg1286

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never used them. I only remember a lot of people poo-pooing them decades ago. The saying was "Em go in the trash".
Yeah I read some posts, some bad, but they were all "decades old". Several years ago I got with our Fleet Maintenance guy at work and we did lots of reading and searching about oil and oil filters. At the end I decided to use the rest of my Honda OEM filters and then used Pure One filters after that. I don't plan on putting the kind of trip miles on this Wing so I wont be going through them like I used to when we did lots of trips. I'll probably end up doing that again just because I don't know these EMGO filters and cant find much on them. Actually sitting here searching for some new comparisons on oil filters. If I remember correctly (if) the Pure One for the Goldwing was an uncommon filter and was about double what OEM was but that was several years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used one on my yamaha grizzly overheated the bike. Come to find out the filter was finer wouldn’t let oil flow through. Burnt the rings. Throw them in the garbage buy real Honda filters.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Judgedredd331: On the bottom left of your 2nd photo it looks like a date 10/11/01? if just guessing logic would apply common sense is, if you do not know exact history of filter that number would tell me it is junk.

Years ago when mfg would come around to clients that had there filters in their inventory on a consignment basis they would take back old ones for credit. They had a vacuum tester and would put them in it and give it about a few lbs of vacuum and the medium would disintegrate and you would not get credit for that one. The medium at that time was all made by Dupont worldwide. It probably still is and it became glued together just sitting over time from chemical break down. Most of the time they could tell by the design layout of the filter box as how old it was.

Any name brand filter THAT IS CATALOGED to be designed for the engine application you have should be fine. If a company had failures they would not be in the business and I don't think you could find any one of the major ones having any claims against them ever.. I use Fram cuz I can buy them anywhere and not get ripped off by price. Nothing wrong with OEM cept it's a guess if they have the one you want and $$$$.

Short post: Get a new filter & go riding.. Ride Safe..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Judgedredd331: On the bottom left of your 2nd photo it looks like a date 10/11/01?
Wow I never noticed that date, thanks for pointing that out I can't believe I didn't notice that. No idea where these filters have been bouncing around or stored for 21 years. Nothing else needed on this thread; I'm throwing them away.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Emgo lost me years ago when they cheapened their products. I used to buy their gas filters for my 1200. The last one I had bought from them the gas dissolved the glue and whatever they used in the filter(even maybe the filter media?) and gummed up all 4 carbs. That was enough for me.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
You ride a $28,000 dollar motorcycle, why put on a .50cent filter ?? Read somewhere on the package, that it claims this filter must be changed, every month or so... (I forgot the exact period/but it was way before a OEM Honda filter claims................

Ronnie
12/3/21

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
With the age of the filter I would be worried that the media had deteriorated and would break down and collapse. Or as its breaking down going into the motor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the age of the filter I would be worried that the media had deteriorated and would break down and collapse. Or as its breaking down going into the motor.
Before I threw them into the big blue trash can I cut one open. I was curious about the condition of the filter material after reading your post, below is a pic. The filter itself seemed like it was originally manufactured pretty good, but you were right about the filter material, I could pull it apart pretty easy and it seemed like it might come apart under load and pressure. I've never cut a filter before so I do not have experience, it just seemed to tear and pull out easier than it should.
Blue Light Ingredient Yellow Tableware

Reactions: BigMick

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Im glad you dodged the bullet on that one. You begin to wonder what the lifespan of a shelved oil filter is!

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Thank you for showing us this picture..............(y):unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts