GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the post "idiot employers" and a very sad realization what's happening around the country during these lean times.

Let me say as a semi-tired Senior, that my heart goes out to those young
workers with young family's with mortages etc.

Many are here on the Hal's board that are working 40-50-60 hours a week to stay afloat and make a honest living.

Sometimes just having a job today isn't enough, especially when the company and their bosses are surrounding you like sharks,
looking over your shoulder for ways to fire you.

At my age, sometimes it's just embassing to be a American.

Best of Luck to you all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't forget us 50+ year olds that have been laid off and can't even get an interview because of our age!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been working at the same company for just 1 month shy of 30 years. And my boss told me yesterday were cutting salaries by 30% and your going to be laid off one week on one week off. And told to find another Job. Not looking good.

CTWing

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been working at the same company for just 1 month shy of 30 years. And my boss told me yesterday were cutting salaries by 30% and your going to be laid off one week on one week off. And told to find another Job. Not looking good.

CTWing
A friend of mine had 2 months to go untill his 30th anniversary.
It was always the company's policy to give a expensive gift for every ten years of service.
He was walked out the door 8 hours shy of 30 years.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
This is sad. I wish I had an easy answer but I don't. Healthcare, research, and teaching seems less likely to have these downturns.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
we are walking on egg shells at work. Started another round of layoffs. Like the last one, it's been pretty quiet as to the details. But, they let 2 "directors" go already and not sure what's up after that. But, it's expected to take a couple months to iron out all the people that will be gone. There hasn't been work in Cleveland for years and it's just getting worse.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Can we now assume that Slick Willy sent a lot of our jobs overseas(NAFTA) to countries he in now a paid consultiant.
And Mrs Willie is now looking out for their foreign investments as Sec of State.

R

·
0 Posts
Just buy a liquor store. Liquor and cigs I don't care how broke you are you will find a way to get those items. It's a recession proof business.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am going to chime in as an "employer" ... young people do not have the same attitude ... let me give you an example:
when I use to run an ad in the paper for shop help... I use to pay $25.00 up front for a drug test... (I require that because of insurance)..
and more than 75% of the time.. they ----- FAILED ---- now I have implemented a new rule... I tell an new applicant that he/she pay the $25.00 drug test themselves.. and if they pass.. I'll refund it as soon as they give me the results... guess what.. 75% of them say...
"NEVER MIND" and walk out..
and my job is not open.. they have to start at the bottom if they want to work for me... and most times they walk in less than a week...

so I don't feel sorry for the "youth" as you put it.. simply because VERY FEW really want to work.. most of them wants "BILL GATES" job ...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My employer has been very patient since last July (hit by a drunk driver while on my Goldwing). They have been holding my position, and I'm busting my butt trying to get strong enough to at least get back to work. May have to beg my doctor to bless me off for driving so I can at least get back in a part-time status.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I work for Alcoa and they have already laid off 13,000 employees worldwide. I feel safe as I'm few from most senior (locally), we had a meeting Tuesday and things are not as decent as I thought! It may happen to me also, it won't be the first time, though. This economic crisis is the worst in my lifetime, I hope things turn sooner than estimated.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I am going to chime in as an "employer" ... young people do not have the same attitude ... let me give you an example:
when I use to run an ad in the paper for shop help... I use to pay $25.00 up front for a drug test... (I require that because of insurance)..
and more than 75% of the time.. they ----- FAILED ---- now I have implemented a new rule... I tell an new applicant that he/she pay the $25.00 drug test themselves.. and if they pass.. I'll refund it as soon as they give me the results... guess what.. 75% of them say...
"NEVER MIND" and walk out..
and my job is not open.. they have to start at the bottom if they want to work for me... and most times they walk in less than a week...

so I don't feel sorry for the "youth" as you put it.. simply because VERY FEW really want to work.. most of them wants "BILL GATES" job ...

cosmic
Agree 100% everybody wants a job, but no one wants to work. I have gone through the same thing in my business. Those who do pass the drug test just stand around looking dumb and watch me work. I went through 4 so called helpers in one year. Todays youth is a joke. They complain about the heat, dirty work, low pay and everything else, but most don't even have a high school education and want top pay and little work effort. I'm at 60yr old and still go up in the attics and under the houses doing service work on A/C and heating units. I finally found a guy to do my ductwork and so far he's working out ok, but time will tell if he holds out.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Thanks Mike :thumbup:

Really sad to hear this stuff

I thought we had all the scum here in Florida

But I guess they are making the rounds

What keeps me goeing is some day they will have to answer for their actions , I know most of the scum do not belive that but it will catch up to them all some day:thumbup:

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Well the car hauling trucking company that I worked for went out of business June 9, 2008 and I have been out of work since. There is little work around the Cleveland, Ohio area. The company that got our freight will put me to work when business picks up but it will be quite a while because sales in the auto industry is so bad :-( ! I hope things turn around for us all!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I work for gm,NUFF SAID :-( OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not all "youth" are as unwilling to due the tasks that are asked of them, I for one am 25 and I busted my butt to get in the position I am in as a Electronics Tech.

Alas, I have a couple of people I went to tech school with who wouldn't work at a pie factory tasting pies if they paid them 50 dollars per hour.

I know none of the youth comments were directed at any perticular person(s), but I figured I would throw my few cents in..
And yes some of my generation scares me when it comes to their reactions and inactions.

Ride Safe,
Jordan

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Agree 100% everybody wants a job, but no one wants to work. I have gone through the same thing in my business. Those who do pass the drug test just stand around looking dumb and watch me work. I went through 4 so called helpers in one year. Todays youth is a joke. They complain about the heat, dirty work, low pay and everything else, but most don't even have a high school education and want top pay and little work effort. I'm at 60yr old and still go up in the attics and under the houses doing service work on A/C and heating units. I finally found a guy to do my ductwork and so far he's working out ok, but time will tell if he holds out.
John, Iv'e been in air cond work for 37 years now and it's the same thing here. I have to retrain these dumba$$es every day. Talk about attention deficit disorder

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Jobs

Many times, in the supermarket industry we would go in and try to save or improve a supermarket. All sorts of emotions take place at a difficult time but the one thing that people have to realize is "The Business Must Survive", if that does not happen nobody has a job, including the owner, manager. I have a great deal of empathy for all who lose a job but never give up, trying to keep a job or looking for a new job. Best O Luck to you all.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I talked to my boss last week about the situation. He said our company is doing great. He said he was there, back in the early 80's. The company was prosperous then, & it looks like this time around may be even better. He said they're about to work themselves to death. Companies are using courier services, rather than the big carriers i.e. FedEx, & UPS. Sure sorry so many are not as fortunate.

Don't blame me,
I voted for

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't forget us 50+ year olds that have been laid off and can't even get an interview because of our age!
+100 :-(
Resume's sent, no reply

1 - 20 of 37 Posts