GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little bummed out yesterday. I took a deposit on my 1988 GL1500.

I am the second owner, buying it in 1991 with about 14K on it and only $6500. Today it has over 237K and gave me a LOT of great memories. I spent several months getting used to the idea I needed to sell it. Wasn't easy.

The new owner will pick it up next weekend and I'm giving him a few boxes full of stuff I collected over the years; spare parts, bits, pieces, 2 sets of rain gear, 2 bike covers, a well worn service manual, etc. None of that stuff will do me any good, so it might as well go with it's intended bike.

The DCT Tour is NOT as plush a ride as my GL15, but my GL15 could never do 85+ all day with little effort. Somehow I think I'll get over the loss, but the memories will remain.

<sigh>

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know what you mean. I sold my '90 back in September 2017. Not nearly the miles you had on yours, but still lots of great memories went with it. Took many pictures while we traveled on it. We moved up to a 2005, 1800. Totally different ride than the 1500, some good, some bad.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I put over 160,000 miles on my 93 GL1500 Aspencade. I loved that bike and still miss it.
When I sold it, it ran just as good as it did when I bought it with 5,000 miles on it.

I have moved on also.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you buy that DCT?
if so, it will be a few days and you will not miss the 1500
Yes, I have a Tour DCT. So far about 2500 miles on it. Nowhere near as plush as my GL15. But it isn't designed to be. Once I get into the twisties, especially in the mountains, I will appreciate the new bike a lot more. Then again, riding at 80+ on the flats is good, too. The 1500 with it's massive barn door fairing and windshield caused a LOT of resistance above 75.

There is just no love like your first love. But I have new memories to make with the Tour.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How much did you get for the GL1500 ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts